D-2 hardcore tips

Last response: in Video Games
March 31, 2005 9:36:22 PM

We seem to have corrupted a few players to the darkside of the force, that
is, Diablo LOD hardcore play on US-West. The following is some information
that I'd like to share, for whatever its worth. Hey, remember, it costs
nothing, so .........
=====================
Suggestions for Diablo LOD Hardcore play:

1.. Mule early and often. Never carry a really good item that you'll "grow
into" in a couple of levels. If the character dies, you'll lose it. If
playing with a trusted non-playing character in the game (chanter or game
filler, for instance), have them hold the item(s) until you are actually
ready to equip them.
2.. Play with a trusted party, when possible. Turn on the "loot" button
for trusted characters. If your character should die, do NOTHING for a
moment. Wait for your companions to clear the area and loot your equipped
items. When they assure that they have everything, leave and return with
another character to reclaim you items. DON'T play the character holding
those items until they can be safely muled away.
3.. When playing in private games, with trusted friends, carry as much of
your gold on your character as you can. Yes, I know this is the direct
opposite of softcore procedure, but if your character should die, you'll
WANT as much of your gold to drop as possible. This helps get the next
character up to speed quicker, and can be used for gambling, if nothing
else.
4.. Slow down and live! Rushing headlong into every group of monsters can
be fun, but it's dangerous for your character, and possibly the whole group.
When playing solo, be especially cautious. If the group is tightly
organized, and somewhat powerful, they can charge through almost anything,
but even then a bit of caution is advisable.
5.. Use attribute points as soon as they are available. Most characters
will require a few points in strength , dexterity, or energy, but ALL
characters need vitality. Often MUCH more than is common in softcore play.
Save some, or all, of your skill points if you prefer, but get enough points
into vitality to live, and enough in strength to wear some protective gear.
6.. Get those resists up! Defensive builds are much more important in
hardcore than in softcore. Damage is important, but only if you can survive
long enough to inflict it!
7.. Rejuvenation potions are very important. Follow Bongo's example, and
don't leave any unsecured. As soon as you get your cube, use a few of those
chipped gems that you picked up along the way to cube up some more, until
you get at least one row of full rejuv potions. By the time I get to the
normal ancients, I prefer to have my whole belt filled with full purple
pots, and a few spares in my stash.
8.. Avoid public games, as much as possible. Sooner or later, you'll run
into a griefer that will try to ruin your fun.
9.. When your character dies, and they all do sooner or later, try to
learn from it. Could different tactics have helped? Could you improve the
build somehow? How you take the first few character deaths will tell you
whether or not hardcore play is for you. It's NOT for everyone. It's neither
better or worse, but it IS different. Far more so than you can imagine until
you've tried it for awhile. If you don't enjoy it, or your connection sux so
much that your characters get lag killed before you reach the cold plains,
perhaps it's time to consider plan B :-)
10.. When you grow out of your starter gear, mule it away for later use.
Starter equipment never goes out of style in hardcore. Work on building a
series of starter equipment that will make starting over much easier. After
you've done the den of evil a few dozen times in normal, it gets pretty
boring if you can't zap right through it to get to a more interesting part
of the game.
11.. Take care of your merc! Keep him near your level, and equipped with
the best gear that your able to find or buy.
12.. Avoid playing while cursed, if at all possible. With Oki Knights
around that's impossible, but when you can, TP to town and get the curse
removed. A hit that might only hurt can be deadly if you are cursed with amp
damage.
I probably missed a lot of important points, and may even be wrong about
some that I did include, but the corrections and additions from fellow
posters will fix that :-)

What'cha think?

Ruben

More about : hardcore tips

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 11:04:05 PM

On 31-Mar-2005, "Ruben-P" <ruben_ptREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I probably missed a lot of important points, and may even be wrong about
>
> some that I did include, but the corrections and additions from fellow
> posters will fix that :-)
>
> What'cha think?
>
> Ruben

The only thing offhand that I can think of to add is:
Create mules for specifics - ie. gem-mule, rune-mule, starter equip-mule,
trade-mule that holds 'good' stuff that you are not going to use, etc.,
also, equip your mules with cubes whenever possible, it gives them a
little more capacity and lets you cube up your gems and runes by the mules
themselves.
Otherwise, looks very good, I just wish someone had posted something like
this a couple years ago before *I* started HC. :)
--
Don't Panic!
March 31, 2005 11:18:06 PM

"Ruben-P" <ruben_ptREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> 5.. Use attribute points as soon as they are available. Most characters
> will require a few points in strength , dexterity, or energy, but ALL
> characters need vitality.

My rule of thumb is 'at least 2 points per level in Vitality for all
characters'.

My starting characters put 3 points into strength and 2 in vitality until I
reach 45/50/60 strength (depending on class/build). With the Insight
runeword available now, I think there are VERY few builds that should put
any points into Energy.

> 6.. Get those resists up! Defensive builds are much more important in
> hardcore than in softcore. Damage is important, but only if you can
> survive long enough to inflict it!

By the time you reach normal Diablo your resists should be in order.
Particularly Fire and Ltg for Diablo. Your priorities should be resists and
life, everything else is gravy. When you move on to NM or Hell, your resists
should be your top priority. Plus skills are a siren's song.

> 7.. Rejuvenation potions are very important. Follow Bongo's example, and
> don't leave any unsecured.

It's not my rule. See, it's right here on page one of the HC bible:
"Thou shalt not leave purples lying on the ground."

> 8.. Avoid public games, as much as possible. Sooner or later, you'll run
> into a griefer that will try to ruin your fun.

If you do venture into public games, assume everyone is planning on killing
you. And act accordingly.

> 9.. When your character dies, and they all do sooner or later, try to
> learn from it.

Absolutely, these are two firm points:
* You WILL die.
* Learn from the experience. 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice,
shame on me.'

> It's NOT for everyone.

Again, I agree completely. Concentrate on enjoying the moment. Enjoy the
journey, not the destination.

> 11.. Take care of your merc!

Do not play without your merc. Don't abandon your party, but as soon as the
smoke clears, go back to town and get him/her.

And I might add:
* Don't play when you're tired. Most HC deaths occur when you're not paying
100% attention. Or when you get complacent. If you really want to play when
you're a little tired, don't play your high level ones. Break out a newbie
or low level. DUI (Diablo Under the Influence) is also not advised.

* Don't play with a lot of money in your stash. Just like you should mule
away anything of value, you should gamble your money away whenever you have
a substantial amount. I usually save enough for 3-4 merc resurrections, just
in case though.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
April 1, 2005 9:38:14 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:04:05 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>Create mules for specifics - ie. gem-mule, rune-mule, starter equip-mule,
>trade-mule that holds 'good' stuff that you are not going to use, etc.,
>also, equip your mules with cubes whenever possible, it gives them a
>little more capacity and lets you cube up your gems and runes by the mules
>themselves.

Depending on how many chars you intend to have, you can also have one
mule for each class, carrying only items that have class-specific
items and +skills items.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:51:18 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:36:22 GMT, "Ruben-P"
<ruben_ptREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for posting this, lots of good tips from you and the other
posters.

>We seem to have corrupted a few players to the darkside of the force, that
>is, Diablo LOD hardcore play on US-West.

IMO HC is just more exciting than SC. You are forced to care more
about your chars, the drops, etc.

> 1.. Mule early and often. Never carry a really good item that you'll "grow
>into" in a couple of levels. If the character dies, you'll lose it. If
>playing with a trusted non-playing character in the game (chanter or game
>filler, for instance), have them hold the item(s) until you are actually
>ready to equip them.

Excellent advice, and another reason to _hate_ the Satan-worshipping
idiot at Blizzard who decided the stash should be so small, instead of
just using the 10x10 vendor window. Muling is far more necessary in
HC, but if you are going to be organized, it is going to eat up a lot
of your play time.

> 2.. Play with a trusted party, when possible.

The Amazon Basin is a wonderful place to hook up with honorable
players.

> 4.. Slow down and live! Rushing headlong into every group of monsters can
>be fun, but it's dangerous for your character, and possibly the whole group.
>When playing solo, be especially cautious.

Yes, solo play is far more difficult in HC.

> 5.. Use attribute points as soon as they are available. Most characters
>will require a few points in strength , dexterity, or energy, but ALL
>characters need vitality. Often MUCH more than is common in softcore play.
>Save some, or all, of your skill points if you prefer, but get enough points
>into vitality to live, and enough in strength to wear some protective gear.

I usually put my first several levels into str to be able to wear some
decent gear (esp 4-row belts), then everything into vit until I need
str or dex to wear something good. Haven't put a point in energy for
months, not for any build.

> 7.. Rejuvenation potions are very important. Follow Bongo's example, and
>don't leave any unsecured. As soon as you get your cube, use a few of those
>chipped gems that you picked up along the way to cube up some more, until
>you get at least one row of full rejuv potions. By the time I get to the
>normal ancients, I prefer to have my whole belt filled with full purple
>pots, and a few spares in my stash.

Consider having a full purples mule, too. Senior chars will usually
be finding more than they use.

> 9.. When your character dies, and they all do sooner or later, try to
>learn from it. Could different tactics have helped? Could you improve the
>build somehow? How you take the first few character deaths will tell you
>whether or not hardcore play is for you. It's NOT for everyone. It's neither
>better or worse, but it IS different. Far more so than you can imagine until
>you've tried it for awhile.

Very true. If you can't play a game intensely and then put it out of
your mind when you are done, HC may not be for you.

> 10.. When you grow out of your starter gear, mule it away for later use.
>Starter equipment never goes out of style in hardcore. Work on building a
>series of starter equipment that will make starting over much easier. After
>you've done the den of evil a few dozen times in normal, it gets pretty
>boring if you can't zap right through it to get to a more interesting part
>of the game.

This is the one time you might want to go into pubbies: to get
enchanted until you hit clvl 9.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:55:06 AM

On 31 Mar 2005 11:18:05 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>If you normally XP in a middle act 2 in SC, you might wantto consider
>XPing earlier. It might take longer, but you will likely live longer.

Good point. Stop questing and level. You can't get any xp in A5
until you are 25 anyway, so you might as well level a bit in A3 rather
than just doing Trav and then going straight to Durance 2. The
jungles are quite good for chars in their low 20s, and much safer than
the Durance, or even the Kurast temples (beware fetish shamans,
though, and have good FR).

Once you are 25, try to stay within a few levels of the monsters, even
if your party is questing quickly. Once the other party members are
gone, go back and level where you are at a slightly higher level than
the monsters. It will be safer, and usually better leveling for your
merc. It is tedious and pointless to level Normal rogue mercs, but
once you have your keeper merc, level him. If you are leveling
quickly in a team game, he probably is being left behind. Once the
team game is done, take the time to level your merc, even if it is in
a solo game.

And don't skip quests that give you useful defensive rewards like the
figurine and tome quests (and I hope no HC player would skip Anya).

-- Roy L
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:00:36 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:06:11 -0500, "Virtual Den" <Nospam@Nospam.com>
wrote:

>Soft or HC trading are different but I am no expert in either. I got 2 Ko
>runes for 30 perfects, Guillaume Face for 5 (merc)and Duriel Shell for 5 but
>I would have given more for the two last items even if the price was fair
>for five. I have only a slight idea about the value of the items because
>there are less people in HC and if you want the item you want, it could be
>long.

Good point: if you are going to twink, the easiest way is to trade.
There are a lot of arbitrage opportunities between different trading
venues, and with a little effort you can put together some decent
gear. Good gear is _much_ harder to come by in HC because so much of
it dies unlooted, but a few pgems can get you some very nice items
that are not quite good enough for rich players to use, but much
better than anything you are likely to find on your own until you have
some senior chars MFing.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:15:01 PM

Mark wrote:

> And I might add:
> * Don't play when you're tired.

Amen to that. I've lost 4 HC chars in one night, playing while half
asleep.

rgds,
netcat
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:27:01 PM

I'd just like to add one thing: your merc and your minion or minions may be
providing you with a lot of your protection (not only in the way of
offensive and defensive abilities, but just in the way that they provide a
horde of monsters with alternative targets to yourself),and you shouldn't
play without them--if they die, bail and revive or recast them, especially
if you're playing solo--but don't be afraid of putting your merc or minion
into harm's way. Minions don't play hardcore, ever. Far better to lose
your merc than yourself, so don't be shy about hanging back and letting him
or her play the idiot^H^H^H^H^Hhero.

Mark P. Nelson

I'll repeat that, minions don't play hardcore.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making the
same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short of