What game was more revolutionary for its time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok, I am curious to get others opinions for which game would have been more revolutionary for its time in all gaming aspects. Farcry, Half-life 2, F.E.A.R., Crysis?

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Half Life 2

It introduced a lot of new techniques in level design and had a great graphics engine with scaling/cross compatibility, it was also amongst the first generations of "cinematic-feel" games in terms of storytelling.

Gameplay was great of course, I wouldn't say it was incredibly revolutionary but the manipulator did make for some fun elements.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Dues ex, started the whole FPS/RPG genre with a massive success and game play mechanics that hadn't been seen before, the maps gave you multiple choices to complete your objectives.

Tomb Raider, Basically invented and set the standard for all third person action games, with complex puzzles and intense action sequences.

Bit newer, Portal redefining the way that a player could move through a map.

COD2(mabye COD not sure) Introduced the idea of multiplayer battles involving teamwork with cars/trucks/tanks.

FEAR, introduced adaptive intelligent AI making each run through unique and interesting as enemies attempt to flank or climb through windows.

i would only say HL2 because of the gravity gun and use of advanced physics to change the way the game plays, the "cinematic feel" is another one for Dues Ex.

Command and Conquer Red Alert, although not the first RTS it was the first RTS to feature land, sea and Air combat and sets the standard for many RTS games today.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
quick edit is broken ><

i was gonna say, im pretty sure that Red alert was the first with air and sea but i can think of a few games around that time that did involve the same, so i might be wrong, you have the warhammer games and CIV around that time aswell.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Deus Ex was very revolutionary, still is a brilliant game.

Total Annhilation is one of the most revolutionary strategy games ever made, the scale alone is just huge.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander are the only ones where the air units work well(set a path and forget)...air units in red alert and other C&C games are just rubbish..what with all the having to keep refueling rearming manualy.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
IMO Half Life was more revolutionary than HL2 (or FEAR, Far Cry). Remember the Special Forces guys flushing you out with grenades, flanking you and diving for cover? That was insane atthe time.

I've only played the Crysis demo; I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Half-Life was definitely more revolutionary than anything listed here. The level design, AI, and story development were far better than anything else before it.

Quake was pretty revolutionary too, it introduced the modern FPS, at least in my eyes.

Really disagree about COD being revolutionary. It has great gameplay, but there mods for Quake II that had better teamwork mechanics. RTCW was kind of the result of those which had much better teamwork mechanics than COD, at around the same time, maybe earlier, and RTCW:ET took that a step farther. Unreal series also was better for teamplay, and it had vehicles in it too.

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
well none of the above

games that really changed stuff in my world are Doom (which led to Quake and other cool 3D FPS games) and then EverQuest which I played for 8 years, absolutely loved it until they took some wrong turns, but they had great innovation and playing so much with other people was awesome. no other MMORPG will EVER be like EverQuest, the graphics sucked but it was not about looks, it was about being part of the massive history, the tons of of quests and I could go on and on for hours about it.

Another cool game but very hack n slash were Diablo/Diablo 2 and I must say I look forward for Diablo 3 which uses real 3D graphics (just installed D2 and the graphics sucks but it is stil fun to smack some stuff around).

Galactic Civilization... first strategy game that ever beat me at "normal" difficulty.

Unlike previous strategy games where the AI would "cheat", GalCiv's AI actually adapts to the player's moves. By "cheat" I mean the AI doesn't automatically give itself more and more bonuses (like production, economic) to make the game more difficult. Instead the AI takes advantage of the sames rules that applies to you, the player.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
+1 for DOOM. Oh and don't forget space invaders and asteriods (don't laugh). Those games played a major role in capturing and audience for electronic games.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Another vote for Deus Ex. Changed my way of thinking about LIFE!

FEAR was fun, and very, very well done in my eyes, but not revolutionary. Only thing it took to a whole new level was level design/atmosphere. May have also been the first to use music and sound on player cue.

I'm not sure which one came out first, but HL and Deus Ex are the first games I ever saw where the story WAS the game (Shooting is fun, but anti-terrorist terrorists, way too bloody cool.).

I don't think HL2 was really revolutionary.

Crysis definitely isn't revolutionary...I don't know where you got that idea. Far Cry....had a big, open world (for the first half), but Deus Ex had some big levels, and multiple, specific ways you could accomplish your goals. The only thing the openness in Far Cry did was let you choose which direction to attack from (more or less).

So yeah, a definite vote for Deus Ex. Crazy story, multiple path level design, able to sneak, be silent, or go guns blazing. RPG elements with the experience & levelling up (Improving your pistol skill, hacking, etc.). I'm not sure if it's the first on many of these things, but being popular is a big thing when you're trying to change things or make an impact. (Unpopular games with a cool X system don't change much).

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Half Life 2 is a fantastic game and sets the gold standard for every other FPS to follow but its more evolution then revolution.

As far as FPS games go, Doom is probably the most revolutionary game that has come out after that Half Life came along and introduced advanced A.I and a compelling storyline. I wouldn’t call Crysis a revolution unless you consider its epic hardware requirements and poor coding a revolution.

Thief for me is another game that’s important, it introduced a lot stealth techniques used in games today (Oblivion, Splinter Cell) and I’m pretty sure has been a source of inspiration for many others as well. Role on Thief 4!

The Sims (not a favourite with hardcore PC gamers) is another title that has shaped the gaming landscape, I believe the original has sold in excess of 100 million copies and is responsible for creation of the casual gamer.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

That's confusing.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Doom was revolutionary for the multiplayer, i believe it was the first FPS multiplayer game (if not it was certainly the one that made it popular)

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

I think you mean Quake. (the other game by id)

That was an awesome game.

I want to play some Hexen!

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Wolfenstein 3D was the first FPS (also made by id) and was only single player. It wasn't until Doom that the genre started getting really popular.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
godamn this broken piece of rubbish toms calls a forum. if i edit it tells me i dont have permission, if i press quick edit, i get a button with cancel wrote on it!!!!

now to correct my mistake lol, DOOM was released in 1993 and Quake 1996.

the first 3d FPS was Wolfenstien 3d in 1992 and was and still is one of my favourite games of all time, and undoubtedly the most revolution game ever created in the history of gaming.

MrKbot

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
RTS: Dune 2, Total Anihilation
TBS: X-Com 1 & 2, Civilization 1, Masters of Orion 2
FPS: Wolfenstein,Doom, Half Life 1
RPG: Twilight 2000, Syndicate

MrKbot

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Oops, just read the actual question. Out of those listed, I'd defnitly say Half Life 2. Although I'd say that HL 1 was more revolutionary than HL2.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Wolfenstein 3D is definitly a classic, but I prefer playing the original Doom/Doom2/Final Doom etc and I still play them weekly.

Mad_Cow20

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006

I agree mostly with what you say with the exception of COD2, I think that Battlefield 1942 set the bar with team work including vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.