COD2 Launching very slow in Vista 64

quantum112

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Hello, I'm having issues with Call of Duty 2 (patched to 1.3). It takes about 30-40 seconds for multiplayer to launch (normally it launches within 5 seconds). Once the game starts, I have no problem whatsoever seeing and entering servers, everything works fine...I have also had the microphone issue where the game would crash if there was no input source, but I fixed that by making the digital input the default device, but the slow loading is still there. If I disable my LAN card (so that I'm not online) the game starts up in 5 seconds, but while I'm online it takes ages. I've been told this has to do with my router, but this is a normal ADSL modem with it's firewall turned off, and I am using Vista Firewall Control as the only available firewall for Vista 64 and COD2 has all permissions there, and the same thing happened when I had the firewall turned off (Windows Firewall and Defender are off as well).
Vista is patched to SP1, all latest drivers and DirectX are on and the installation of Windows is about 2-3 weeks old.
I've also tried the compatibility mode, but it doesn't help. Run as administrator is not available in compatibility (cause I'm the only user on this pc - therefore probably administrator) but I can right click Cod2mp_s.exe and click "run as administrator" but that makes no difference either.

It's quite a pain when you get called in for a war and you need a minute to enter the server :/

My PC specs are:
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.00 GHz@1.32500V
GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6
MUSHKIN 996599 XP Series PC-8500 4 GB (2+2), dual channel, 5-5-5-15@1066 MHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2

This is a fresh overclock and I haven't run extensive Prime95 tests on it yet but that's the default
Vcore and I've been running it undervolted at stock (2.4GHz@1.26500V) and it stood a 4,5 hour
Prime torture test with no errors, so I thought default voltage wouldn't hurt running at 3 GHz,
still it is happening ever since I got this pc even when everything was bone stock so I just
thought I'd mention. Nothing else is overclocked, memory is set at rated timings and subtimings
(found that on Mushkin forum...)

And that's about it. I really think this is a very simple software issue that can be fixed in 2 minutes,
just needs to be found. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks

quantum112

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I can't believe no one knows a fix to this, it's a widespread problem! It happens in COD4 as well, I just tried it... Only in the COD games...
What could be the case? Please, someone at least try?

barlag

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Possibly a 64 bit problem and it could be something like a Securom installing drivers that are not 64 bit compatible.

Just a guess can you not right click the exe and run it in compatibility mode?
My origianl Copy of COD4 starts up fast on Vista 32.

barlag

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Maybe contact customer support. They should support their game, although I doubt that they will support 64 bit OS.