hard drive size after install

Hi,
I hope you can help me. I have a p2 400mhz 128mb ram 20 gb hdd running
win98. I formatted the hard drive, and installed winxp home, and it says
that the hd is only 2gb, not 20. There is no partition, and I don't know how
this got changed or how to fix.
Thanks for the help
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive size install

    On 07/12/2004 shawn wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I hope you can help me. I have a p2 400mhz 128mb ram 20 gb hdd
    > running win98. I formatted the hard drive, and installed winxp home,
    > and it says that the hd is only 2gb, not 20. There is no partition,
    > and I don't know how this got changed or how to fix.
    > Thanks for the help

    What did you use to partition the HD? If you partition a HD with any
    DOS up to 6.2 it will only allow you to create a partition up to 2GB.
    Solution is to use a Win98 startup disk or to allow XP to partition the
    disk when you install XP.

    You BIOS may have a problem recognising the drive. Issues with drive
    sizes have arisen at 2GB, 8GB, 32GB and 137GB, it's quite unusual to
    see the 2GB issue nowadays though. Boot up and press Delete/F1/F2
    whichever is appropriate for your BIOS and see if the BIOS recognises
    the whole drive. If it doesn't then go to your PC/mobo manufacturer's
    web site and see if they offer a BIOS update, if they do read their
    instructions *very* carefully and flash your BIOS.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2 http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    Boot the computer with the XP CD, use the tools built into
    XP to format and install.
    How to Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941

    "Jeff Gaines" <whitedragon101@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | On 07/12/2004 shawn wrote:
    |
    | > Hi,
    | > I hope you can help me. I have a p2 400mhz 128mb ram 20
    gb hdd
    | > running win98. I formatted the hard drive, and
    installed winxp home,
    | > and it says that the hd is only 2gb, not 20. There is
    no partition,
    | > and I don't know how this got changed or how to fix.
    | > Thanks for the help
    |

    | What did you use to partition the HD? If you partition a
    HD with any
    | DOS up to 6.2 it will only allow you to create a partition
    up to 2GB.
    | Solution is to use a Win98 startup disk or to allow XP to
    partition the
    | disk when you install XP.
    |
    | You BIOS may have a problem recognising the drive. Issues
    with drive
    | sizes have arisen at 2GB, 8GB, 32GB and 137GB, it's quite
    unusual to
    | see the 2GB issue nowadays though. Boot up and press
    Delete/F1/F2
    | whichever is appropriate for your BIOS and see if the BIOS
    recognises
    | the whole drive. If it doesn't then go to your PC/mobo
    manufacturer's
    | web site and see if they offer a BIOS update, if they do
    read their
    | instructions *very* carefully and flash your BIOS.
    |

    | --
    | Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    | Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2
    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/delphi.htm

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for your help.
    I flashed the bios today, and still have the problem. The bios does
    recognize the 20gb hd, before and after the upgrade. I didn't partition the
    hd, I formatted when I had win98 running, and then installed winxp and
    allowed it to use ntfs file system, and during this process, I notice that it
    says the hard drive is only 2gb. I am at a loss, perhaps you could provide
    more insight.
    Thanks,
    Shawn.

    On 08/12/2004 shawn wrote:

    > Hi Jeff,
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > I flashed the bios today, and still have the problem. The bios does
    > recognize the 20gb hd, before and after the upgrade. I didn't
    > partition the hd, I formatted when I had win98 running, and then
    > installed winxp and allowed it to use ntfs file system, and during
    > this process, I notice that it says the hard drive is only 2gb. I am
    > at a loss, perhaps you could provide more insight.
    > Thanks,
    > Shawn.

    Hi Shawn

    The easiest way would be to boot from the XP CD and re-install XP.

    When it asks where to put XP then tell it to delete the old partition
    and then create a new partition the size you want.

    At a guess I would say that you installed XP on the old W98 partition
    which was 2GB.

    If you do re-install you will lose *ALL* your data - if you need it
    then back it up first :-)

    There are re-sizing tools around and some are free but a clean install
    is probably the best bet.

    --

    shawn wrote:

    >I flashed the bios today, and still have the problem. The bios does
    >recognize the 20gb hd, before and after the upgrade. I didn't partition the
    >hd, I formatted when I had win98 running, and then installed winxp and
    >allowed it to use ntfs file system, and during this process, I notice that it
    >says the hard drive is only 2gb.

    You have got in a terrible muddle. Start over. Boot the XP CD direct.
    Enter Setup, and after the license agreement take New Install. When it
    asks you to confirm where, hit ESC; select and delete the current
    partition and make a new RAW one to be formatted at the next stage

    The important point is the delete. Without that it will just go ahead
    and make a new install over the top of the old one

    If it is an upgrade CD, you will need to show it the Win98 one on the
    drive for a few moments when asked where Windows is. Then put the XP
    one back when a blue screen asks for a CD

    Hi Jeff,

    I have followed your instructions, and it's during the process that win xp
    says the hd is only 2gb, not 20. I have re-installed about a dozen times,
    each time same thing.

    "Jeff Gaines" wrote:

    > On 08/12/2004 shawn wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Jeff,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.
    > > I flashed the bios today, and still have the problem. The bios does
    > > recognize the 20gb hd, before and after the upgrade. I didn't
    > > partition the hd, I formatted when I had win98 running, and then
    > > installed winxp and allowed it to use ntfs file system, and during
    > > this process, I notice that it says the hard drive is only 2gb. I am
    > > at a loss, perhaps you could provide more insight.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Shawn.
    > >

    > Hi Shawn
    >
    > The easiest way would be to boot from the XP CD and re-install XP.
    >
    > When it asks where to put XP then tell it to delete the old partition
    > and then create a new partition the size you want.
    >
    > At a guess I would say that you installed XP on the old W98 partition
    > which was 2GB.
    >
    > If you do re-install you will lose *ALL* your data - if you need it
    > then back it up first :-)
    >
    > There are re-sizing tools around and some are free but a clean install
    > is probably the best bet.
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    > Posted with XanaNews 1.16.5.2

    You're missing the delete all partitions on the drive,
    you're most likely just re-install in the same partition.
    Read the instructions
    here

    "shawn" <shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Hi Jeff,
    |
    | I have followed your instructions, and it's during the
    process that win xp
    | says the hd is only 2gb, not 20. I have re-installed
    about a dozen times,
    | each time same thing.
    |
    | "Jeff Gaines" wrote:
    |
    | > On 08/12/2004 shawn wrote:
    | >
    | > > Hi Jeff,
    | > >
    | > > Thanks for your help.
    | > > I flashed the bios today, and still have the problem.
    The bios does
    | > > recognize the 20gb hd, before and after the upgrade.
    I didn't
    | > > partition the hd, I formatted when I had win98
    running, and then
    | > > installed winxp and allowed it to use ntfs file
    system, and during
    | > > this process, I notice that it says the hard drive is
    only 2gb. I am
    | > > at a loss, perhaps you could provide more insight.
    | > > Thanks,
    | > > Shawn.
    | > >

    | > Hi Shawn
    | >
    | > The easiest way would be to boot from the XP CD and
    re-install XP.

    | > When it asks where to put XP then tell it to delete the
    old partition
    | > and then create a new partition the size you want.
    | >
    | > At a guess I would say that you installed XP on the old
    W98 partition
    | > which was 2GB.
    | >
    | > If you do re-install you will lose *ALL* your data - if
    you need it
    | > then back it up first :-)
    | >
    | > There are re-sizing tools around and some are free but a
    clean install
    | > is probably the best bet.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK