P4 2.4 + Asus P4S-8x-L (SiS 648) + PC2700 DDR

ankh

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Hi All

I’m quite new to these forums (first post) so please accept my apology if I don’t follow your etiquette immediately.

I’m about to build myself a new Mid-Range system, I’ve not built for a fair while – so I’m out of the loop regards new memory types etc. (The last thing I built was a Duron 1gig on a gigabyte M/Board with 512 PC133.)

After having a good look around I have come up with the following:

P4 2.4gig (533fsb)
Asus P4S-8X-L (SiS 648)
512Mb PC2700 DDR (Crucial)

Does anyone have an opinion on any of this?

TIA
ankh

Brad_Barker

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I just bought that same mobo. I personally love it. I just got excited about getting a new system, and had problems being able to boot to my CD drive. But that was my dumb mistake.

If I hear, <b>DUDE YOUR GETTING A DELL</b>, one more time... I put up with it because my boss told me to.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an opinion, but you won't like it.

The P4S8X has a history of problems on the memory bus which make either DDR400 RAM or AGP8x a bad idea. Now you mentioned you wanted to use PC2700, this could cure that problem, but I still think you might want to consider AGP8x compatability before you rush out to buy one. I would suggest a Gigabyte board with the 648 chipset instead.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
I bought a Gigabyte 8SG667 and I'm very happy with it.

-DOOM

<pre>MOV AX,0040
MOV DS,AX
MOV WORD PTR [0072],1234
CLI
JMP FFFF:0000</pre><p>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You see? Another vote for Gigabyte.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>