Asus A7N8X Deluxe
2 sticks of 256MB Kingston PC2700 ValueRAM
80GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 with 8MB cache
Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro
Asus DVD-E616 ATA100 DVD-ROM Drive
Lite-On LXR24101A USB2.0 External CDRW Drive
Case with 400W PSU

So, now I need input on:
1. CPU. I want to get 2600+ XP with 333FSB, but it seems that the price doesn't come down at all after the launching of 3000+ XP. So are there any problem or limitation if running a 266FSB 2400+ XP along with Dual-ch DDR333? Well, I can wait for 3 more weeks anyway...
2. Cooling Fan. I don't want to overclock but I would like a quiet HSF. What I have in mind now is Thermaltake Volcano 9 Silent Fan. Does this HSF adequate for 2400+ XP or 2600+ XP? And does it really a "silent" cooler?
3. TV Tuner Card. I will get the Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP but I saw there is another Deluxe model. What are the difference between the Deluxe and Non-deluxe model?
4. Speaker System. I want to get a set of 5.1 digital speaker system but their price are way too high for me. My budget for speaker is below AUD$400 (approx. USD$200), and I need an optical input for my PlayStation2, so any recommendation on this?

Wow, it seems that I've off topic but I don't want to duplicate my post under 3-4 topics, so thanks in advance folks. Any input would be appreciated!

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Your system would be better balanced if you got a Corsair memory. You are getting the 9700 Pro so we know you are trying to get performance. The Corsair 3200 is what I would recommend. Or you could get the 9700 (non pro) instead and you might save enough to get the 2600+ and the Corsair memory. IMHO that would be a better system.

Also is there a reason you are getting an external CDRW?

What brand of psu are you getting? How many amps on the 12V rail? It's probably ok. Enermax and Antec are some quality brands.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
I must have missed the post on the 9700, but if you want tuner capabilities and you're thinking of the 9700 Pro, the ATI 9700 Pro All-In-Wonder card rocks for TV tuning.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Yes. That would be good. But I think he is at the end of his budget.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
definately take the memory advice..."value" ram isnt something I ever recommend buying, since most is not cas2 rated especially at higher memory speeds and performance will suffer.

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I thaught if I'm running a 333FSB CPU I should use in sync PC2700 RAM for better performance or do I miss anything? And Corsair PC2700 I can get is also ValueRAM version so I just buy the cheaper one and that's Kingston with CL2.5.
The reason I use external CDRW is because I have an old PIII 700MHz desktop (for Internet and works), a Duron 1.1GHz desktop (my girlfriend's PC) as well as a laptop without any CDRW device. So I use the external CDRW for swapping around easily.
For the TV Tuner is that I bought my parts at Singapore but I have to bring them back to Australia, so I can't purchase the Singapore version of AIW 9700 Pro, or can I? But anyway I prefer a separate TV Tuner.
About the PSU, I haven't seen it yet because I asked my friend to buy for me... does that matter very much? And any input on the CPU cooler?

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TKH on 02/14/03 07:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Well everyone will make their own version of "value ram"...you will prob be able to run cas2 on some of these chips but most of them will not run cas2 when overclocked to higher frequencies...You can also buy pc3200 and run it in sync with the processor....buying pc3200 just gives you the extra headroom of stability if you ever decide to overclock your cpu and keep the memory in sync and in specs of what the memory can handle without compromising performance of having to lower cas latencies, having lockups etc...you get the point

About the power supply, I do suggest you take about ten minutes and read this article and then make an educated decision.

<A HREF="http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/" target="_new">http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/</A>

-Civ

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
forgot to say anything about a cpu cooler....the stock hsf should be fine as long as you dont overclock....If you do decide to overclock I suggest either the thermalright slk-800 or 900 OR the swiftech mcx462+ along with a thermaltake smartfan2

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You can run the DDR 400 memory at slower timings (DDR333). It just gives you the opportunity to run at DDR 400 in the future and you should be able to run DDR333 with good timings. So you don't have to have a mobo that supports DDR400 to get DDR 400 RAM. If you are trying to save money get the DDR 333.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Thanks for all the inputs.
So anyone having the experience in running the CL2.5 Kingston ValueRAM in CL2? Does it stable? Well, I don't intend to overclock and I won't be upgrading this system in near future. I think I'll keep this configuration for at least 3 years, by that time I think I'll build a new system anyway. But for the cooler, does the stock HSF quiet enough to keep my neighbour sleep? I have a Cooler Master one (forget what model, it's bundled with the CPU) on a Duron 900MHz and I always get complain saying that my fan was way too loud.

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...

radioactivekid

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
re thermaltake "silent volcano"9..i have one of these and it makes my ears bleed.it is only reasonable when the adjustable fan speed is set low...a harrier jet makes less racket

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Ya, I've been runnin Kingston Value RAM in all the boxes I've put together in the last 18 months or so... ( 2100 and 2700)
Reliable RAM! never a problem!

Runnin the DDR cas 2.5 at cas 2 does sean to give an occasional burp! Occasionally ya do get a memory not being able to be read, or a pgm shutdown. Not a lights out thing or dump, but ya do get occasional errors... I set it back and they go away! Smooth at what its rated, but burps do show up at lower cas...

Now the good part about it is - it overclocks very well at its rated cas...
Every one i've tried runs up signifigantly.. like 2100/133 will usually go 2700/166... and 2700/166 runs up well too, Relaibly... Aint bad for the buck... and never a problem...

And I hope you have better luck with an A7n8x than I'm havin...