Xbox 360 Version of Fallout 3 Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad_Cow20

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
I wonder how the developers who say that the PC is the most pirated system out there feels about this...

Care to comment Cryteck or Ubisoft?

Ascadia

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
In an interesting development, people are actually fighting the distribution of this torrent by uploading corrupt versions of the iso that that anyone whom torrents from them get stuck at 99.9%... that's right, Pirates fighting Pirates.

JordanPlayer

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I will buy this game as it is definitely worthy of a purchase, but I can't help but sit here and grin about this situation. Don't get me wrong, as I stated before Bethesda is a great company that I respect and Fallout 3 is going to be an awesome game. However, I love how a lot of companies lately have been complaining so adamantly that piracy is killing the PC platform. It's seemed like they have turned a blind eye towards console piracy and it is going to hit them like a truck soon. If they believe that moving off the PC platform to consoles is a solution to stop piracy they are in for a world of hurt. Console games have been pirated since the Playstation was introduced so this is no new development. I think the reason that console piracy is becoming a more obvious problem is that people are starting to pirate it a lot more. As fewer games get released for the PC, these PC pirates are going to move to the console and do the same thing. The main draw of pirating a console version of a game is that you can still play it online with other legitimate users. The PC versions are not capable of this because each one requires a unique serial key. Once you get a firmware modification or chip installed, console piracy is totally unlocked because there are no protections.

Have fun devs/publishers, DRM and the slowing of the PC platform has brought this on you. There are no other platform options left. :lol:

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
As Travis sarcastically stated upon hearing this news, "That will teach you developers to make a game we want! We'll go an pirate it! Yay!!!!!"

I cannot believe how some gamers treat the companies that make the games they love. And then to go online and boast about with video and screenshots? This is just sad and pathetic....

Ascadia

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
As Travis sarcastically stated upon hearing this news, "That will teach you developers to make a game we want! We'll go an pirate it! Yay!!!!!"

I cannot believe how some gamers treat the companies that make the games they love. And then to go online and boast about with video and screenshots? This is just sad and pathetic....

Yes, who would have thought spending millions on advertising, splattering images on billboards, in magazines and hyping up a game for 3 years would drive fans into a frenzy for the product.

At the end of the day, it wont truly hurt Beths sales. Fans who wanted the game will still buy the game, and people that had no intention of ever buying the game will have torrented it eventually, rented it or simply never played it.

If Fallout 3 lives up to even half of the hype, I am confident it will be the best selling game of 2008.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Even though I feel bad for bethesda getting their game pirated (especially because it has the potential to be Game of the Year), I'm actually happy that these kind of news are spreading about console piracy to the developers and publishers, since they chose to turn a blind eye to it and only focus on PC. Like a guy above me said, it's gonna hit them like a truck and it won't be pretty when it happens.

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
This is a really unfortunate situation no matter what. I really wish Bethesda luck in finding the source of the leak, they worked their butts off on this game.

ram1009

Distinguished
There was never any doubt that console piracy would eventually reach the level of PC piracy. I must say I'm a little surprised it's becoming this public this soon. I'm sure the next editions of game consoles will up the ante which will further spur pirates to do their thing. A never ending story indeed.

Iscabis

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I just want to hear a response from some of the big publishers as someone already said on console piracy. Hopefully this is a turning point where they realize that punishing the pc gamer is not the way to go, because it solves nothing. I would think that simple online verification of the console games could alleviate some of this. But then people would complain who don't/can't hook their consoles up to the internet. This could mean trouble for everyone in the future. Let's all hope not though.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I'm very tempted to download a pirate version of this but i'm not going to - i'd much rather pay my £40 to encourage Bethesda to keep creating fantastic games :)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I'm not interested in flashing my Xbox360, and I think Bethesda is a developer worth supporting. I currently don't plan on getting this game because it sounds like it's really just Oblivion in a Fallout setting. There are too many other titles coming out, but I may end up picking up Fallout 3 if the reviews are very good.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
based on the gameplay videos I saw, I am going to buy the game when it comes out

this wont really effect sales for the game as console games get pirated like crazy, (they get pirated more than many pc games)

while a smaller percentage of the console gaming community pirate the games, there so many console gamers that in theres of number of people pirating the game, there much more pirates in console gaming than with pc games

console games still sell more than pc games because the drm is not really noticed by the average gamer and theres no need to worry about system requirements (with a pc game, even though there over 4 billion computers out there, only about 500 thousand to 1 million are able to actually run the games, and out of those users, many of them may not be interested in the game so there even less people who fit your target market.

with consoles , if 10 million people have a xbox 360 then your target market is 10 million as there all able to run it while not all may be interested in your game, the target is so large that your bound to make a lot of money

oneseraph

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Ok..
Enough is enough... I have never posted a response on the issue of content piracy. Strangely this of all things has me irritated enough to get me off my lazy a** and say something. Though I am sure know one will listen.

For the record I do not pirate. Every piece of media I have I purchased or was free promotional material. When that is not the case I produced the content myself.

That said, I think everyone knows someone who downloads whatever they want, with no intention of ever paying for it. We all know at least one person of this type. They think it's great that they don't pay for content, because why should they? when they can get it for free. These same people are always ready to charge for whatever product or service they provide. So let me be clear about the type of person I am talking about. They have no respect for the value of other people. That's right, they are "SCUM".

Before everyone gets in a tizzy about, it not being people the "SCUM" don't respect, it's the corporation they work for. Well that is cold comfort when people loose there jobs because corporate revenue drops because of piracy. Not to mention the fact that content production value goes down in order to bring cost in line with margins. That is bad for people who want high quality content.

As for those who say, if I like the content I will buy it. I have noticed a funny trend, they very rarely like anything enough to go out and buy it. Well in the case of games they might have been into it for a while, but after playing it through several times it is just not as much fun to play as they originally thought. Certainly not worth going out and purchasing.

Now I admit, getting to try something before you buy it is a good marketing strategy. Boy does that ever create a buzz. So why not let the pirates do the marketing for your content. There are those who say that would increase overall sales. Funny thing happens when asked for credible metrics to back up that assertion. Those same people can't come up with anything better that anecdotal and subjective comments that are more flimsy that wet rice paper.

I agree that there is little evidence on the other side either. I mean it is hard to prove that you would have had better sales if there were no piracy. That's because there is piracy. Worse there are "SCUM" out there who don't give two squirts of p*ss about anything that isn't them.

So if you havn't guessed by now, I am angry. I am angry because Bethesda produces some the very best content. It would be a shame if they had to forgo producing the great games they make for something with lower production cost "less risk", because the pirates and the "SCUM" could not keep there dirty, thoughtless and thieving
hands off.

I have been patiently waiting for "fallout 3". I am stoked to play the game, and later this month I will show all the talented people at Bethesda how grateful I am for what they are doing. I will go out and buy "Fallout 3". Which is more than the vast majority of the people who have "already stolen it" will do.

I hope they're are enough people of good conscience out there to prevent Bethesda from re-thinking the way they produce games. I for one, would be very disappointed if "Fallout 3" was the last great title from Bethesda. I would really like to see another Elder Scrolls. Let's hope the "SCUM" don't prevent the rest of us from getting to enjoy that.

Ascadia

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
As for those who say, if I like the content I will buy it. I have noticed a funny trend, they very rarely like anything enough to go out and buy it. Well in the case of games they might have been into it for a while, but after playing it through several times it is just not as much fun to play as they originally thought. Certainly not worth going out and purchasing.

Now I admit, getting to try something before you buy it is a good marketing strategy. Boy does that ever create a buzz. So why not let the pirates do the marketing for your content. There are those who say that would increase overall sales. Funny thing happens when asked for credible metrics to back up that assertion. Those same people can't come up with anything better that anecdotal and subjective comments that are more flimsy that wet rice paper.

Gal Civ anyone?

rammar16

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
i am with mad cow on this. developers spend years to make a master piece game. torrenting a game that to a developer is like a work of art really shows a lack of respect for the developer and their work.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
It is amazing to me that the story about this is just now breaking. I have a friend who modded his Xbox within the first day of having it and it took him about 15 min to do. (He has no knowledge as to how to build a computer either by the way, he doesnt even know who nvidia or ATI are). He got his 360 about 6 months after its release and to this day has NEVER purchased a game. A

About 90% of the time he has them anywhere from 1 week to 1 month before they release without any issues and can easily play online/get updates as if it were the retail version, so I just dont understand why this hasnt been seen in the media until now when the PC issue is so prevalent. Actually it borderline makes me upset to be honest. lol

P.S. I do not condone the actions of my friend in anyway...just pointing it out.

Best,

3Ball

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I think people overreact and overexaggerate about piracy. People are going to pirate games. Nothing you can do to stop it. I think game companies spend more money trying to combat piracy than they actually lose from actual lost sales.

ryanlord

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
3Ball, I've known people like that myself, and I know what you're talking about. Consoles have been hit by piracy for a very long time, and I find it very frustrating when I see comments at times from people (including some developers) where they act like piracy is a PC problem. The specific guy I knew had been pirating everything under the sun for every console out there. Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, DS, PSP, Wii, 360, etc.

Granted, not everyone is going to feel comfortable chipping a console or flashing firmware on their 360, but there are probably more people now than ever that are selling modding services through public sites like Craigslist, or even people selling pre-modified consoles on Ebay. Modding services and pre-modded consoles make piracy much more available to those who don't understand the process, or doing feel comfortable doing it themselves.

I've seen arguments that people who take advantage of a modding service or pre-modified console then have to figure out where to download the games and how to burn them, but there are even people who sell pre-burned games as well on public sites. It takes all of the brainwork out of it.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Yea, it is most definitely easier and more accessible that it seems alot of people believe. Ex: Most game devs?

Best,

3Ball

4745454b

Titan
As a strictly PC gamer, this article had me dancing. I've had to wait months for GTA4 to arrive, I'm still not 100% convinced its going to hit PCs this month. (last I heard, late Oct was the release date) All I hear is how PC games are stolen, pirated, copied, etc. Its just as easy to do the same thing with a PS2/3, or Xbox, but you nearly never hear of it. Wake up developers, stop punishing the PC market simply because your to stupid to realize that its happening elsewhere.

Ascadia

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Well lets see, just taking figures from a popular torrent site.

Xbox 360: 156 games available for download via Torrent
PS3: 9 games available for download via Torrent
PC: 5,078 games available to download via Torrent

While that is a lot, the PC section has 3-10 torrents per game title, where as the 360 only has 1 torrent per game.

However, a 360 game is downloaded 300-700 times per torrent.
A PC game between 2000-320,000 per torrent.

The completed downloads from a single Elder Scrolls: Oblivion torrent alone equals the total amount of times that all the 360 & PS3 games were downloaded together.

Now add up all the total downloads for Oblivion (All the torrents) and it almost doubles the total 360 & PS3 downloads.

Now times that by 5000 and you start to see why PC piracy is a significantly greater threat than console piracy.

I see 40 total completed downloads for Fallout 3, more copies of Fallout 3 will be stolen by Gamestop employees and teens with bad haircuts than have so far been torrented.

In order to use a downloaded game on a 360 or PS3, you have to mod the system, which involves buying and installing a mod chip which will forever void the warranty. When a system is first launched and for several years after, the mod chips are fairly expensive an the installation is not something your average console owner feels comfortable in installing, so the number of users that have the ability to play pirated games is small.

All you need to play Pirated games on a PC, is a system that meets the minimum requirements to play the game in the first place.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Not that I am saying you are totally incorrect, but I thought that I would correct a few things that you have said.

1) ISOHunt alone shows that around 800 people either have or will have fallout 3 for the 360 before it is even released. It will go up much more once the game actually hits the shelves.

2) You do not need a mod chip to mod your 360. A simple bios flash, which there are instructions on the internet 4 and take less tha half an hour is all you need to do.

Best,

3Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.