For free MS support via email MS wants pid. MS support instructions say to
find pid look in control panel. Can't get there when the pc wont boot! Won't
even boot from cd. Dos like message says it can't find file
system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Version is a self-purchased OEM cd from newegg.

Can't find PID wrote:
> For free MS support via email MS wants pid. MS support instructions
> say to find pid look in control panel. Can't get there when the pc
> wont boot! Won't even boot from cd. Dos like message says it can't
> find file system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Version is a self-purchased OEM cd
> from newegg.

OEM?
Yeah - well, it wouldn't matter much then..

OEM - Price is a lot cheaper but tech support go through whoever sells it
(Microsoft does not provide tech support for end-users of OEM software).
OEMs and System Builders are required to offer technical support to
customers.

http://snipurl.com/b6lq

--
<- Shenan ->

Technically you are right to chastise me about oem. But you miss the point.
Even if it were a full retail version, you can't find pid if the CD (which by
the way looks perfect) is defective. I will try a different approach. Thank
you for replying.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Can't find PID wrote:
> > For free MS support via email MS wants pid. MS support instructions
> > say to find pid look in control panel. Can't get there when the pc
> > wont boot! Won't even boot from cd. Dos like message says it can't
> > find file system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Version is a self-purchased OEM cd
> > from newegg.
>
> OEM?
> Yeah - well, it wouldn't matter much then..
>
> OEM - Price is a lot cheaper but tech support go through whoever sells it
> (Microsoft does not provide tech support for end-users of OEM software).
> OEMs and System Builders are required to offer technical support to
> customers.
>
> http://snipurl.com/b6lq
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Technically you are right. But the same would hold true for the full retail
version. So much for MS. Thank you for responding. I will try a different
approach. Randy

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Can't find PID wrote:
> > For free MS support via email MS wants pid. MS support instructions
> > say to find pid look in control panel. Can't get there when the pc
> > wont boot! Won't even boot from cd. Dos like message says it can't
> > find file system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Version is a self-purchased OEM cd
> > from newegg.
>
> OEM?
> Yeah - well, it wouldn't matter much then..
>
> OEM - Price is a lot cheaper but tech support go through whoever sells it
> (Microsoft does not provide tech support for end-users of OEM software).
> OEMs and System Builders are required to offer technical support to
> customers.
>
> http://snipurl.com/b6lq
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

If a retail CD is defective, the vendor will replace it free of charge.

When you buy an OEM CD apart from a computer, you're on your own.
--
Ted Zieglar

"re pid" <re pid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Technically you are right to chastise me about oem. But you miss the
point.
> Even if it were a full retail version, you can't find pid if the CD (which
by
> the way looks perfect) is defective. I will try a different approach.
Thank
> you for replying.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
> > Can't find PID wrote:
> > > For free MS support via email MS wants pid. MS support instructions
> > > say to find pid look in control panel. Can't get there when the pc
> > > wont boot! Won't even boot from cd. Dos like message says it can't
> > > find file system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Version is a self-purchased OEM cd
> > > from newegg.
> >
> > OEM?
> > Yeah - well, it wouldn't matter much then..
> >
> > OEM - Price is a lot cheaper but tech support go through whoever sells
it
> > (Microsoft does not provide tech support for end-users of OEM software).
> > OEMs and System Builders are required to offer technical support to
> > customers.
> >
> > http://snipurl.com/b6lq
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.

If your computer won't boot the CD then you need to make a setting change in
the BIOS to enable the system to boot from the CD prior to the Hard Drive.
Check your computer manual to see how to make that setting change. Usually
you look for Boot Sequence. Secondly you might be able to repair XP using
one of the ideas here
http://www.ozzu.com/ftopic24580.html

other info

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1100181791

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Can't find PID" <Can't find PID@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| For free MS support via email MS wants pid. MS support instructions say to
| find pid look in control panel. Can't get there when the pc wont boot!
Won't
| even boot from cd. Dos like message says it can't find file
| system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Version is a self-purchased OEM cd from newegg.

Randy

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003

Harry, I had set to boot from cd. In desperation I booted from floppy, wiped
the drive with WD utility, and my OEM windows installed perfectly, incl SP2.
Now to reinstall those apps! Thanks all for help. Randy