Rename User

A new computer was setup using the wrong user name. How do you rename a
local user and have their directory change as well? If you go to
Administrative Tool / Comp Mgmt / Users and choose the user and rename it
the name changes, however the "home directory" in Documents and Settings
still remains the old name. If you try and rename the directory you get and
error stating that it is a system folder and cannnot be renamed.

Can someone help me with the correct way to do this?

Many thanks in advance
2 answers Last reply
More about rename user

    Comments inline:

    Sarah M wrote:
    > A new computer was setup using the wrong user name. How do you rename
    > a local user and have their directory change as well?

    You don't. Not in any one step. You could create the new username, log in
    as that user, log out and back in as a different administrative user, use
    Control Panel -> System -> Advanced tab -> Profiles section -> Settings
    button to Copy to the new profile location the old profile information with
    the proper rights needed for that new user to properly access the profile..

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Sarah M wrote:
    > A new computer was setup using the wrong user name. How do you rename a
    > local user and have their directory change as well? If you go to
    > Administrative Tool / Comp Mgmt / Users and choose the user and rename it
    > the name changes, however the "home directory" in Documents and Settings
    > still remains the old name. If you try and rename the directory you get and
    > error stating that it is a system folder and cannnot be renamed.
    >
    > Can someone help me with the correct way to do this?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH