Xeon rig: Dell, HP, IBM or Fujitsu-Siemens?

Mistyk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
If you were to get a dual Xeon Placer E7505 workstation from one of the vendors listed below, which would you choose and why? Feel free to advise against any of the four companies if you have had bad experiences with it (or have heard any horror stories).

1. Dell
2. HP
3. Fujitsu-Siemens
4. IBM

Please don't recommend BOXX or any other vendor not present in the list, nor home-built. While great options, they are excluded from this query. Let's also assume that price is not an issue (of course it is, but I'd like to get un-biased views from you).

Thanks in advance!

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I know you mentioned that DIY is not an option but I feel I must emphasize on it's unbeatable advantages :

- Instant technical assistance : You're in complete control of all the variables at work, which can be isolated with ease and celerity should an issue surface. The most complete knowledge base known to mankind is at your disposal for troubleshooting even the most obscure problems and dilemmas. No waiting on hold while the customer service is already busy with thousands of other clients.

- Seamless upgrade : Downtime during an upgrade is limited to the time needed to open the case, remove the old stuff and add the new hardware. No need to wait for a tech to come over or to send your system to the place of purchase and waiting until they're done.

- Empowerment : You get to hand pick each single component and tailor your machine to fullfill your needs, no bad surprises, lies, rip-off, proprietary designs or unreliable generic parts ( unless you knowingly select to use such ).

- Most bang for buck : No manufacturer can beat the low priced DIY computers. You're not paying for advertizing campains, huge robotic factories, international shipping, lobbying and commission involved in marketing, building, distributing and selling pre-built computers.

Do It Yourself, the best way to go...

Fok Speling Misstake

Mistyk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Thanks for your reply SidVicious. A DIY system comparable to Dells offer is priced similarly or slightly higher, so cost is not a reason to go DIY in this particular case. Some of the big OEMs also provide CPU fan speed control, which none of the retail-mobos feature. Furthermore, I don't doubt that I could build a system myself, but I lack the time and would like a warranty on the complete workstation. Handling RMAs is not very tempting.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Thanks for your reply SidVicious. A DIY system comparable to Dells offer is priced similarly or slightly higher, so cost is not a reason to go DIY in this particular case. Some of the big OEMs also provide CPU fan speed control, which none of the retail-mobos feature. Furthermore, I don't doubt that I could build a system myself, but I lack the time and would like a warranty on the complete workstation. Handling RMAs is not very tempting.

Obviously you dont know too much about computers because there are plenty of fans out that come with fan speed control features. There is also plenty of software (ie. speedfan which will let you change the rpms of all the fans on your system)....besides this is a very minor thing to begin with (nothing fancy there)=]....and I doubt any of the big OEMS provide you with a nice power supply such as an enermax with manual fan contol :smile: ...

With all that said...I dont think you should try to build your own. Since you dont have much hands on experience, building a server machine really isnt the best place to start :smile: ....just buy a dell or an hp and join the bandwagon that other companies have jumped on and let some computer nazi (which most are retards) help you with your problems :smile:
cheers

<font color=green>Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza<font color=green>