  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
a b α HP
July 22, 2004 1:03:59 PM

Hey,

I have a new HP a650Y coming in a week or so:
HP Pavilion a650y customized desktop PC
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.00E GHz/ HT + 1MB L2 cache
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional Edition
- 512 MB DDR / PC3200 (1 DIMM)
- FREE UPGRADE from 200 to 250GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
- FREE UPGRADE from 48x CD-ROM to 16x max DVD-ROM
- 8X DVD+RW/+R drive (DVD writer & CD-writer combo)
- 3 USB 2.0, 1 Firewire, 9-in-1 card reader + WinDVD
- 3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
- 256MB DDR NVIDIA GeForceFX(TM) 5500, DVI & TV-Out
- Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports

I also read the zd7000forums.com board, since I have one, and they
always are discussing what they do to them out of the box, ie,
reinstall windows, to get rid of the hp garbage, partition the hd,
etc.

Any tips for maximizing performance on this new box? Should I
re-install windows asap?

Thanks for any pointers...

oj

More about : desktop arriving

July 22, 2004 5:17:27 PM

"OJ" <orljustin@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> I have a new HP a650Y coming in a week or so:
> HP Pavilion a650y customized desktop PC
> - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.00E GHz/ HT + 1MB L2 cache
> - Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional Edition
> - 512 MB DDR / PC3200 (1 DIMM)
> - FREE UPGRADE from 200 to 250GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
> - FREE UPGRADE from 48x CD-ROM to 16x max DVD-ROM
> - 8X DVD+RW/+R drive (DVD writer & CD-writer combo)
> - 3 USB 2.0, 1 Firewire, 9-in-1 card reader + WinDVD
> - 3.5 in. 1.44MB Floppy Drive
> - 256MB DDR NVIDIA GeForceFX(TM) 5500, DVI & TV-Out
> - Integrated 5.1 Capable Sound w/ front audio ports
>
> I also read the zd7000forums.com board, since I have one, and they
> always are discussing what they do to them out of the box, ie,
> reinstall windows, to get rid of the hp garbage, partition the hd,
> etc.
>
> Any tips for maximizing performance on this new box? Should I
> re-install windows asap?
>
> Thanks for any pointers...
>
> oj

First, if you don't get recovery disks with the machine, use the utility and
make them.

Second identify all drivers that are being used and make sure you have
copies to install after wiping the system. (Burn them to a separate CD.)

Then try the system to see if there is softeware you don't want. Then remove
only what you don't want.

If you really want a clean system. Before trashing the configuration you
have. Replace the HD and install the ne OS on it. IF everything works OK,
then consider wiping the old disk.

Once you lose the original configuration and the recovery partition and
have no recovery disks, you will have trouble getting the system back to the
original state if your clean install fails.

If you wipe the system before locating all the drivers you may end up with
parts that don't work correctly.

Keep in mind that there is application software that comes on the system
that you will probably lose.

In other words, think before acting.

Those are my pointers.

Enjoy.