internet time adjust

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient]
I already know about the registry key above. Dshield went down a few days back,
and there've been big changes there, and one of those being changes with time.

Dshield has always been hot for the firewall logs keeping accurate time with
the actual time.

Today I found the owner of Dshield doesn't rely on the XP pro Internet adjust
either but uses an hourly polling program.

Question is, why not just use the above registry entry and set the time to poll
every hour..

Simply because it doesn't poll anything then. It just reports errors.

I can't recall exactly what the error is, something to do with synch. Is it
possible there's 2 registry entries or more that need to be changed to
permanently change the polling from weekly to hourly ?

I found 3 registry entries of them myself using timeproviders as the search
term and changing the top one, only affected one other registry entry. Well
we'll see if that works.

Anyone know of anything other than those 3 that could be causing the synch
troubles ?

Husky wrote:

>Today I found the owner of Dshield doesn't rely on the XP pro Internet adjust
>either but uses an hourly polling program.
>
>Question is, why not just use the above registry entry and set the time to poll
>every hour..
>
>Simply because it doesn't poll anything then. It just reports errors.
>
>I can't recall exactly what the error is, something to do with synch. Is it
>possible there's 2 registry entries or more that need to be changed to
>permanently change the polling from weekly to hourly ?

You may have had the access through to those servers has been blocked by
the installation of the other program

It is generally better to use this windows sync system; the reason is
that it finds the amount of correction that has been necessary, and
adjusts the system's idea of the interval between timer interrupts,
until quite soon it is running almost correct anyway - from that point
you do not need it synchronised very often

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:51:28 +0000, Alex Nichol

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient

This is primarily for my info. I keep an online email hint file of XP hints.
Someone in this group ages ago, posted a method to get XP to update more than
once a week.

Their method was to modify the top registry entry. For some reason it always
failed for me, and another poster to the message.

I went back at it yesterday, and accidentally set it to update every 60 seconds
vs every 3600 seconds [hour]. By changing all three registry entries in
SpecialPollInterval to 60 it took and checked time every minute. And no
failures this time. I can only assume all three registry entries needed changed
instead of just the one.

It would make sense since changing the top one also changes the 3rd one. But
the 2nd one remains the same.

There might also be 3 registry entries because I have 3 sources to synch with.

Anyway's it always works now.. And I want a record of the hint for my records.

Husky wrote:

>This is primarily for my info. I keep an online email hint file of XP hints.
>Someone in this group ages ago, posted a method to get XP to update more than
>once a week.
>
>Their method was to modify the top registry entry. For some reason it always
>failed for me, and another poster to the message.
>
>I went back at it yesterday, and accidentally set it to update every 60 seconds
>vs every 3600 seconds [hour]. By changing all three registry entries in
>SpecialPollInterval to 60 it took and checked time every minute. And no
>failures this time. I can only assume all three registry entries needed changed
>instead of just the one.

The only one you need bother with is in Current Control Set. That in
fact is one of the other two, numbered ones, and the other is a fall
back version not normally used.

The entry you have to adjust is 'SpecialPollInterval' - but as I said, I
think you may have other software that has intruded. One check; in
Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services, male sure the Windows Time
service is started; if not double click it, set Startup type to
Automatic, Apply and reboot

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 11:24:33 +0000, Alex Nichol
<alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote:

>>Their method was to modify the top registry entry. For some reason it always
>>failed for me, and another poster to the message.

>> I can only assume all three registry entries needed changed
>>instead of just the one.
>

>The only one you need bother with is in Current Control Set. That in
>fact is one of the other two, numbered ones, and the other is a fall
>back version not normally used.
Someone else was also having the same error as me when changing from the weekly
default poll to another setting.
Yesterday when I changed all 3 registry entries it was adjusting every minute
till I saw it was doing that, then I changed it to hourly.
Previously when the 1st hint to change just the 1st registry entry I was NOT
the only one getting the polling errors.
As for specialpollinterval, that exists on all 3 entries.

>The entry you have to adjust is 'SpecialPollInterval' - but as I said, I
>think you may have other software that has intruded. One check; in
>Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services, male sure the Windows Time
>service is started; if not double click it, set Startup type to
>Automatic, Apply and reboot
There's nothing to check. I'm not getting the error now. I was getting it
months back. By changing the 3 registry entries the other day, it works just
fine no matter how often it polls [for my prefs, by the minute or hour] without
errors.