Diagnose mobo?

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
If I suspect my motherboard is faulty, are there any software out there that I may use to test my mobo? (kind of like memtest for RAM)... Is there any way to test my mobo? My CPU?

Thanks,
IronHell

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
Don't know of any testing software...maybe someone else does. Could you possibly explain the problem your having...folks here might be able to help you tell... if they have some idea of what you are experiencing

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
A while ago, it just completely pooped on me and I thought it was my RAM that was bad (because I ran the memtest and it said my RAM was bad). After putting in new RAM, a week later, my HARDDRIVE died on me, (I ran a WD diagnostic tool on it and it said it was bad). (I had a WD harddrive... and OCZTech RAM). I got a new harddrive and now I have TWO harddrives. Anyway, with this new RAM, within TWO weeks, my computer is acting up again. I did another memtest and found that now THIS ram has errors. Sometimes when I leave my computer idle overnight, it can't "wake up", I would have to cold reboot. Sometimes my computer would freeze and when I reboot, it can't detect either of my harddrives! Any idea what's causing this?

Bad mobo? Bad CPU? Bad power? Any fixes? Please help!

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Geez, I thought I had bad luck with my computer! It sounds to me that you may have serious mobo problems. What I would suggest is that you take your HDs and RAM chips and install them in another computer and run the tests there. If they come out completely fine, then you can be sure you need to RMA that mobo (if you still can).

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Bummer man. I know how annoying problems like this can be. What board are you using? You may want to see if there is a newer bios(just a thouoght)that will address some of those problems. It seems really suspicious that the ram and hdd would go out at about the same time. You might want to try another power supply also. Ps's will do the damndest thigs to your rig. good luck

Regarding your problem, you have a classic ID10T error code. Do you have the box the computer came in? ARRRGH

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
How old was the original hard drive? Also I would download sisoft sandra (do a google search, first listing) and try the burn in wizard.

Regarding your problem, you have a classic ID10T error code. Do you have the box the computer came in? ARRRGH

ironhell

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
Yeah... I think my appraoch to this is do the RMA on the mobo, get a power supply tester (if that's any good...) and then rediagnose my sys afterwards. If my PS tests out okay AND I get a new mobo and if I STILL get errors on my RAM, WELL then... eff OCZ. =] I'm not sure how good and reliable a "power supply tester" is though, any thoughts?

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
You probably want to get a multimeter. This will allow you to accuratly test the specific voltages comeing out of the ps. Another thing you could test is the outlet you're plugged into as they can be plauged by brownouts which could cause your rig to do strange things. I have a ups on mine. If you get a good one they will condition the power coming from the outlet. Good luck.