Erasing DVD's / CD's

With a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, when ERASING to use again, is the FAST erase just
as functional as the FULL erase .. or does it really matter ?
Also, should I "Format" the disc before using it again?
when saving a program to a disc (for example), how do I force the disc not
to close so that I can continue using it?
I am also having problems with being able to play pictures saved on a DVD on
the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the stereo..
--
Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
Amber

    "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | With a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, when ERASING to use again, is the FAST |erase
    just as functional as the FULL erase .. or does it really matter ?

    Using Nero 6, the fast-erase function seems to work without any problems in
    my experience.

    | Also, should I "Format" the disc before using it again?

    Formatting is necessary only if you're doing packet-writing (Nero's InCD,
    e.g.) and using disks dynamically, like a big floppy. If the disk wasn't
    formatted to begin with, you don't need to format it after erasing.

    | when saving a program to a disc (for example), how do I force the disc not
    | to close so that I can continue using it?

    This is a function of the burning software you're using. What you want to do
    is called multi-session burning, and you should be able to choose that
    option in the software. XP's native burning facility does this by default.

    | I am also having problems with being able to play pictures saved on a DVD
    on
    | the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the
    stereo..

    I'm not sure what you're trying to do with DVDs and pictures; if you're just
    burning image files to a disk and then trying to view them, it's not going
    to work. Again, you don't say what burning software you're using, but the
    program(s) necessary to do what you want to do normally come bundled with
    the DVD burner or computer, if it came with the burner. Check your
    documentation. As for CDs, there are some CD players that will not play
    burned CDs at all, ever. Most recent ones will, but if yours is a few years
    old, it might not work. Check the manual if you still have it, or the
    manufacturer's website.

    | Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
    | Amber

    Raymond ...
    You have been VERY helpful to me ( I'm still a newbie with most of this).
    I appreciate your response and information.
    Regarding the DVD's, I had hoped to use the DVD burner in the pc, scan
    family pics on the scanner, and burn them to a DVD to view as a "slideshow"
    on the TV's DVD player. I've tried "burning" songs to CD's, and as
    mentioned, have not had any luck..I even tried them in the car's CD player.
    I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version someone had
    loaned to me.
    I might give Nero a try ... I have heard reference from Nero from a lot of
    questions.
    You have helped clear up a lot of problems I may be having.
    Again, thank you for your help.

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

    > "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | With a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, when ERASING to use again, is the FAST |erase
    > just as functional as the FULL erase .. or does it really matter ?
    >
    > Using Nero 6, the fast-erase function seems to work without any problems in
    > my experience.
    >
    > | Also, should I "Format" the disc before using it again?
    >
    > Formatting is necessary only if you're doing packet-writing (Nero's InCD,
    > e.g.) and using disks dynamically, like a big floppy. If the disk wasn't
    > formatted to begin with, you don't need to format it after erasing.
    >
    > | when saving a program to a disc (for example), how do I force the disc not
    > | to close so that I can continue using it?
    >
    > This is a function of the burning software you're using. What you want to do
    > is called multi-session burning, and you should be able to choose that
    > option in the software. XP's native burning facility does this by default.
    >
    > | I am also having problems with being able to play pictures saved on a DVD
    > on
    > | the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the
    > stereo..
    >
    > I'm not sure what you're trying to do with DVDs and pictures; if you're just
    > burning image files to a disk and then trying to view them, it's not going
    > to work. Again, you don't say what burning software you're using, but the
    > program(s) necessary to do what you want to do normally come bundled with
    > the DVD burner or computer, if it came with the burner. Check your
    > documentation. As for CDs, there are some CD players that will not play
    > burned CDs at all, ever. Most recent ones will, but if yours is a few years
    > old, it might not work. Check the manual if you still have it, or the
    > manufacturer's website.
    >
    > | Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
    > | Amber

    "I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version someone had
    loaned to me."

    And you wonder why you're having a problem?

    Ted Zieglar

> [...]
    >> | the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the
    >> stereo..
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what you're trying to do with DVDs and pictures; if you're
    >> just
    >> burning image files to a disk and then trying to view them, it's not
    >> going
    >> to work. Again, you don't say what burning software you're using, but the
    >> program(s) necessary to do what you want to do normally come bundled with
    >> the DVD burner or computer, if it came with the burner. Check your
    >> documentation. As for CDs, there are some CD players that will not play
    >> burned CDs at all, ever. Most recent ones will, but if yours is a few
    >> years
    >> old, it might not work. Check the manual if you still have it, or the
    >> manufacturer's website.
    >>
    >> | Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.

    Duhhh, yes, Ted, that's what the OP intimated. What the
    hockeysticks are you saying? When you have nothing to say,
    that's exactly what you should say.

    Pop

    | "I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version
    someone had
    | loaned to me."
    |
    | And you wonder why you're having a problem?
    |
    | Ted Zieglar

    Thanks Pop ... couldn't have said it better myself. Why such people sit on
    their throne and go to entries just to make snide remarks is beyond me .... I
    guess the eposide of Sponge Bob Square Pants was going off.

    "Pop" wrote:

    > Duhhh, yes, Ted, that's what the OP intimated. What the
    > hockeysticks are you saying? When you have nothing to say,
    > that's exactly what you should say.
    >
    > Pop

    > | "I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version
    > someone had
    > | loaned to me."
    > |
    > | And you wonder why you're having a problem?
    > |
    > | Ted Zieglar

    Hi Amber:

    I just bought a pentium 4 pc with windows xp ready to burn music cd'd and
    dvd's. I was succesfull burning a music cd, but I can manage to burn a dvd.
    Any tips ? Regards - Carlos
    Amber" wrote:

    > Thanks Pop ... couldn't have said it better myself. Why such people sit on
    > their throne and go to entries just to make snide remarks is beyond me .... I
    > guess the eposide of Sponge Bob Square Pants was going off.
    >
    > "Pop" wrote:
    >
    > > Duhhh, yes, Ted, that's what the OP intimated. What the
    > > hockeysticks are you saying? When you have nothing to say,
    > > that's exactly what you should say.
    > >
    > > Pop
    > >

    > > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > > | "I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version
    > > someone had
    > > | loaned to me."
    > > |
    > > | And you wonder why you're having a problem?
    > > |
    > > | Ted Zieglar

DVD CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP