Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Erasing DVD's / CD's

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:55:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

With a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, when ERASING to use again, is the FAST erase just
as functional as the FULL erase .. or does it really matter ?
Also, should I "Format" the disc before using it again?
when saving a program to a disc (for example), how do I force the disc not
to close so that I can continue using it?
I am also having problems with being able to play pictures saved on a DVD on
the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the stereo..
--
Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
Amber

More about : erasing dvd

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:39:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C872E584-DE6E-497A-9997-0CEF0AFEBBB0@microsoft.com...
| With a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, when ERASING to use again, is the FAST |erase
just as functional as the FULL erase .. or does it really matter ?

Using Nero 6, the fast-erase function seems to work without any problems in
my experience.

| Also, should I "Format" the disc before using it again?

Formatting is necessary only if you're doing packet-writing (Nero's InCD,
e.g.) and using disks dynamically, like a big floppy. If the disk wasn't
formatted to begin with, you don't need to format it after erasing.

| when saving a program to a disc (for example), how do I force the disc not
| to close so that I can continue using it?

This is a function of the burning software you're using. What you want to do
is called multi-session burning, and you should be able to choose that
option in the software. XP's native burning facility does this by default.

| I am also having problems with being able to play pictures saved on a DVD
on
| the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the
stereo..

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with DVDs and pictures; if you're just
burning image files to a disk and then trying to view them, it's not going
to work. Again, you don't say what burning software you're using, but the
program(s) necessary to do what you want to do normally come bundled with
the DVD burner or computer, if it came with the burner. Check your
documentation. As for CDs, there are some CD players that will not play
burned CDs at all, ever. Most recent ones will, but if yours is a few years
old, it might not work. Check the manual if you still have it, or the
manufacturer's website.

| Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
| Amber
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 7:49:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Raymond ...
You have been VERY helpful to me ( I'm still a newbie with most of this).
I appreciate your response and information.
Regarding the DVD's, I had hoped to use the DVD burner in the pc, scan
family pics on the scanner, and burn them to a DVD to view as a "slideshow"
on the TV's DVD player. I've tried "burning" songs to CD's, and as
mentioned, have not had any luck..I even tried them in the car's CD player.
I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version someone had
loaned to me.
I might give Nero a try ... I have heard reference from Nero from a lot of
questions.
You have helped clear up a lot of problems I may be having.
Again, thank you for your help.

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

>
> "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C872E584-DE6E-497A-9997-0CEF0AFEBBB0@microsoft.com...
> | With a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, when ERASING to use again, is the FAST |erase
> just as functional as the FULL erase .. or does it really matter ?
>
> Using Nero 6, the fast-erase function seems to work without any problems in
> my experience.
>
> | Also, should I "Format" the disc before using it again?
>
> Formatting is necessary only if you're doing packet-writing (Nero's InCD,
> e.g.) and using disks dynamically, like a big floppy. If the disk wasn't
> formatted to begin with, you don't need to format it after erasing.
>
> | when saving a program to a disc (for example), how do I force the disc not
> | to close so that I can continue using it?
>
> This is a function of the burning software you're using. What you want to do
> is called multi-session burning, and you should be able to choose that
> option in the software. XP's native burning facility does this by default.
>
> | I am also having problems with being able to play pictures saved on a DVD
> on
> | the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the
> stereo..
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to do with DVDs and pictures; if you're just
> burning image files to a disk and then trying to view them, it's not going
> to work. Again, you don't say what burning software you're using, but the
> program(s) necessary to do what you want to do normally come bundled with
> the DVD burner or computer, if it came with the burner. Check your
> documentation. As for CDs, there are some CD players that will not play
> burned CDs at all, ever. Most recent ones will, but if yours is a few years
> old, it might not work. Check the manual if you still have it, or the
> manufacturer's website.
>
> | Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> | Amber
>
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:16:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version someone had
loaned to me."

And you wonder why you're having a problem?

Ted Zieglar

"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C5BF6127-BA22-4BDA-A426-689D256EE680@microsoft.com...
> Raymond ...
> You have been VERY helpful to me ( I'm still a newbie with most of this).
> I appreciate your response and information.
> Regarding the DVD's, I had hoped to use the DVD burner in the pc, scan
> family pics on the scanner, and burn them to a DVD to view as a
> "slideshow"
> on the TV's DVD player. I've tried "burning" songs to CD's, and as
> mentioned, have not had any luck..I even tried them in the car's CD
> player.
> I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version someone had
> loaned to me.
> I might give Nero a try ... I have heard reference from Nero from a lot of
> questions.
> You have helped clear up a lot of problems I may be having.
> Again, thank you for your help.
>
> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:
>
>>
>> "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C872E584-DE6E-497A-9997-0CEF0AFEBBB0@microsoft.com...
>> | With a DVD-RW and a CD-RW, when ERASING to use again, is the FAST
>> |erase
>> just as functional as the FULL erase .. or does it really matter ?
>>
>> Using Nero 6, the fast-erase function seems to work without any problems
>> in
>> my experience.
>>
>> | Also, should I "Format" the disc before using it again?
>>
>> Formatting is necessary only if you're doing packet-writing (Nero's InCD,
>> e.g.) and using disks dynamically, like a big floppy. If the disk wasn't
>> formatted to begin with, you don't need to format it after erasing.
>>
>> | when saving a program to a disc (for example), how do I force the disc
>> not
>> | to close so that I can continue using it?
>>
>> This is a function of the burning software you're using. What you want to
>> do
>> is called multi-session burning, and you should be able to choose that
>> option in the software. XP's native burning facility does this by
>> default.
>>
>> | I am also having problems with being able to play pictures saved on a
>> DVD
>> on
>> | the DVD player with the tv, and with a CD being able to play on the
>> stereo..
>>
>> I'm not sure what you're trying to do with DVDs and pictures; if you're
>> just
>> burning image files to a disk and then trying to view them, it's not
>> going
>> to work. Again, you don't say what burning software you're using, but the
>> program(s) necessary to do what you want to do normally come bundled with
>> the DVD burner or computer, if it came with the burner. Check your
>> documentation. As for CDs, there are some CD players that will not play
>> burned CDs at all, ever. Most recent ones will, but if yours is a few
>> years
>> old, it might not work. Check the manual if you still have it, or the
>> manufacturer's website.
>>
>> | Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
>> | Amber
>>
>>
>>
December 9, 2004 4:45:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Duhhh, yes, Ted, that's what the OP intimated. What the
hockeysticks are you saying? When you have nothing to say,
that's exactly what you should say.

Pop


"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 5WutyY3EHA.924@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| "I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version
someone had
| loaned to me."
|
| And you wonder why you're having a problem?
|
| Ted Zieglar
....
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks Pop ... couldn't have said it better myself. Why such people sit on
their throne and go to entries just to make snide remarks is beyond me .... I
guess the eposide of Sponge Bob Square Pants was going off.

"Pop" wrote:

> Duhhh, yes, Ted, that's what the OP intimated. What the
> hockeysticks are you saying? When you have nothing to say,
> that's exactly what you should say.
>
> Pop
>
>
> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 5WutyY3EHA.924@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> | "I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version
> someone had
> | loaned to me."
> |
> | And you wonder why you're having a problem?
> |
> | Ted Zieglar
> ....
>
>
>
December 28, 2004 11:23:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Amber:

I just bought a pentium 4 pc with windows xp ready to burn music cd'd and
dvd's. I was succesfull burning a music cd, but I can manage to burn a dvd.
Any tips ? Regards - Carlos
Amber" wrote:

> Thanks Pop ... couldn't have said it better myself. Why such people sit on
> their throne and go to entries just to make snide remarks is beyond me .... I
> guess the eposide of Sponge Bob Square Pants was going off.
>
> "Pop" wrote:
>
> > Duhhh, yes, Ted, that's what the OP intimated. What the
> > hockeysticks are you saying? When you have nothing to say,
> > that's exactly what you should say.
> >
> > Pop
> >
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 5WutyY3EHA.924@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > | "I am using Roxio's Easy Creator, but it is an older version
> > someone had
> > | loaned to me."
> > |
> > | And you wonder why you're having a problem?
> > |
> > | Ted Zieglar
> > ....
> >
> >
> >
!