Vista + Crysis + 3870 X2 starting to piss me off!!!

can007

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
My system specs are on my sig, just to let you know...

I'm currently running vista 64 with Crysis installed. The problem is the performance of the 3870x2 in Crysis so poor that it was beaten by my friend's 7600GS (even thou I'm running at 800*600 and he's running at 1024*768 with every thing on "low" he's getting 25-35 fps on the other hand I'm getting 10-20 fps WTF??).

I've figure the problem out last night, I've decided to benchmark my 3870x2 on DX9 and low settings getting and avg of 18 fps. While i was benching the game I've run GPU-Z on the background it shows that during benchmark the GPUs are just working at 20-30 % at full clock speed (825MHz)

So I've tried running the game at 800*600 on windows mode what i've notice is that in CCC it shows that the graphic card is running at 300 MHz (Powerplay clock) and it's working at 30-40 % during crysis and it gave me 15-20 fps on 800*600 on low.

I've done every thing i could update the drivers to 8.9 check for updates.

BTW the performance in DX9 and DX10 are barely noticable just 3-5 fps "lagger" than DX9.

my.php

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Make sure that you have catalyst a.i. turned on in Catalyst Control Center. The x2 I was working was playable at up to 1680x1050 with medium-high settings, it however isn't as good as it should be since crossfire scaling in that game is horrendous.

taliesin

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
I've tried playing with a number of settings in the CCC (Catalyst Control Center), as well as attempting to update to the latest driver from ATI. I don't recall the driver version offhand, as I'm currently not at the same computer. What I did find is that the card seems to want to run underclocked on the GPUs. I haven't found any setting (yet) that corrects this. Perhaps one of the next driver releases in the near future may handle this better. I think the drivers are supposed to be smart enough to scale GPU speed based on demands for energy efficiency, but its not working right with the current drivers.

In the meantime, what I am using as a patch solution is using RivaTuner (freeware, google it) which provides the ability to tweak fan and GPU speeds manually and tell it to apply the settings on windows startup. I went from being unstable in 3D games at 297 MHz, to rock solid at 825 Mhz. Also, I kicked up the default fan speeds on the cards just as a preference (40% fan speed), though not really necessary. There's some handy RivaTuner setup guides out there, if you need them.

If I was at my home PC, I would probably have some direct links to offer you. And if anyone has any better suggestions for handling this, I'd also be interested in hearing them.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I recently downgraded my secondary PC that has a 3870 512MB from Vista x64 to XP and game performance has improved tremendously. It may not show as much of an improvement for you, but for me Crysis Wars became playable on High.

TRENDING THREADS