Abit NFT nForce2 chipset problem

thefreak

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
hello everyone. im new to the board. so i guess that makes me a newbie :). anyway i looked over the board some but did not find an answer to the question im going to ask. i have the new Abit nv7 mobo with 256ddr ram and a Ati Radeon 128ddr video card. also i have a westeren digital 40gig harddrive. im having trouble installing the video card. if i can get the computer to boot, it will only do so in safe mode. i have not doen anything as far as overclocking to the mobo. i have contacted nvidia and abit but no response yet. i know each of these items work b/c i have used them in other computers. any suggestions would be helpful.

thanks jeremy

czarousa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
One thing you should try is reset the bios to the default or factory settings. and read the mobo manual "thoroughly"
then see if putting another video card helps you and then put in ur radeon and check
it may get you through

thefreak

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2003
actaully i have tried to set the bios to the default. the video card works fine in the other two computer that i have. so any other suggestions would be helpful.

jeremy

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Havin the same problem, but with Asus nForve-2 Mobo...
Can't install ATI AGP Vidio drivers - before or after Nforce mobo drivers are install for the mobo... Can't use any PIC vidio with nNorce and get successful Shutdown or Standby without dump from nv_agp.sys!!!

Am begining to think this is an NVidia BUG!!!
A chipset made by a vidiocard mfgr - How convienient!!!

Let chase ths down!!!!I'm on it!

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
OK - I got one a my problems...

Make sure you have the Correct ATI Driver!!!
My Vidcard had a bar coded label on it - ATI Xpert 2000 AGP

Well, as it turned out it wasn't a Xpert 2000 as labeled...
I was trying to install the wrong driver!!!
What I really had was a Rage 128 Pro Ultra or(128 PRO II)...

Make sure your installin the right driver...
If your picking a specific driver from the ati site, don't pick, a specific driver!!! Use the big production "Family" driver! - it has the whole family of card drivers in it!!! In my case it was the Rage 128 (6-60) Reference Driver, while I would never have gotten that one specific Xpert 200o/Rage 128 pro driver to load...

So check your vid driver, again, Get the right one!!!
I think there's a ATI utility on the ATI Site that will tel ya exactly what card ya have and which driver to use...