Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to import Personal Address Book (.pab) file into Windo..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 8:19:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto a
Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98 PC. How do
I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import it, and if so, where
do I get the converter?

Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed from
the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the Windows 98 PC
died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import the .pab file into
Outlook 98?
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:10:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
> I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto
> a Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98
> PC. How do I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import
> it, and if so, where do I get the converter?
>
> Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed
> from the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the
> Windows 98 PC died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import
> the .pab file into Outlook 98?

Hi, Sue;

Since you have Outlook 98 installed, probably the simplest way is outlined
in this MS KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/


--

....Sky

======
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 11:35:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
> I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto
> a Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98
> PC. How do I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import
> it, and if so, where do I get the converter?
>
> Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed
> from the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the
> Windows 98 PC died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import
> the .pab file into Outlook 98?

Outlook specific newsgroups -

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.Calendaring
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.configuration
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.Contacts
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.Fax
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.General
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.installation
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.interop
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.printing
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.Program_AddIns
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.Program_VBA
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook.ThirdPartyUtil

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:37:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I should have pointed out that mail is encoded and thus not transferable.
However, Microsoft Excel will read the "dbx" files but messy.
The way to get around the encryption is to save as plain text.
That is referred to as: "Comma seperated values for windows" "CSV"
Same as you see in "Notepad".

The whole inbox and addresses are DBX files
Dot dbx (.dbx ).
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 3:37:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

OE addresses are in a WAB file. His PAB file is probably from Outlook, not
OE.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
http://www.fjsmjs.com
Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/


"Dorian Grayline" <Nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
news:41b85507$1_1@news.iprimus.com.au...
>I should have pointed out that mail is encoded and thus not transferable.
> However, Microsoft Excel will read the "dbx" files but messy.
> The way to get around the encryption is to save as plain text.
> That is referred to as: "Comma seperated values for windows" "CSV"
> Same as you see in "Notepad".
>
> The whole inbox and addresses are DBX files
> Dot dbx (.dbx ).
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 4:25:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

http://home.kooee.com.au/kingull/savemail.html is titled "Saving Email
Folders" and I didn't see anything there about importing a .pab file into
either Windows XP or Outlook 98. I should mention that there are no email
addresses in my Personal Address Book, just FAX numbers and phone numbers. On
my old PC, I used Outlook 98 only for faxes, and for Outlook's Tasks and
Notes.

Sue

"Dorian Grayline" wrote:

> http://home.kooee.com.au/kingull/savemail.html
>
>
>
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 4:37:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/ is titled "OLEXP: How
to Import Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express." I did not see anything
there about importing a .pab file. I should have mentioned that I have never
used Outlook's Contacts and that I have never used Outlook Express. My
Microsoft Personal Address Book has fax numbers and phone numbers; no email
addresses. Under Windows 98, I accessed the Personal Address Book from
Microsoft Fax, Micorosoft Word, and Outlook.

"Sky King" wrote:

> Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
> > I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto
> > a Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98
> > PC. How do I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import
> > it, and if so, where do I get the converter?
> >
> > Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed
> > from the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the
> > Windows 98 PC died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import
> > the .pab file into Outlook 98?
>
> Hi, Sue;
>
> Since you have Outlook 98 installed, probably the simplest way is outlined
> in this MS KB article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/
>
>
> --
>
> ....Sky
>
> ======
>
>
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:38:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
> MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/ is titled
> "OLEXP: How to Import Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express." I did
> not see anything there about importing a .pab file. I should have
> mentioned that I have never used Outlook's Contacts and that I have
> never used Outlook Express. My Microsoft Personal Address Book has
> fax numbers and phone numbers; no email addresses. Under Windows 98,
> I accessed the Personal Address Book from Microsoft Fax, Micorosoft
> Word, and Outlook.

If you have Outlook98 installed and want to continue to use the same .PAB,
why did you ask about importing? Just set up OL98 on the XP machine to use
that .PAB just as you did on the Win98 system. There's nothing to import.


--

....Sky

======
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:39:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The .pab file was never in Outlook 98 on the old PC either. It was
accessible, on the old PC, by Microsoft fax, Microsoft Word and Outlook, but
it wasn't in Outlook. I am unable to find a way to import it into either
Outlook 98 or Windows XP.

"Sky King" wrote:

> Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
> > MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/ is titled
> > "OLEXP: How to Import Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express." I did
> > not see anything there about importing a .pab file. I should have
> > mentioned that I have never used Outlook's Contacts and that I have
> > never used Outlook Express. My Microsoft Personal Address Book has
> > fax numbers and phone numbers; no email addresses. Under Windows 98,
> > I accessed the Personal Address Book from Microsoft Fax, Micorosoft
> > Word, and Outlook.
>
> If you have Outlook98 installed and want to continue to use the same .PAB,
> why did you ask about importing? Just set up OL98 on the XP machine to use
> that .PAB just as you did on the Win98 system. There's nothing to import.
>
>
> --
>
> ....Sky
>
> ======
>
>
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 2:49:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In case anyone else gets this problem, I discovered the answer. You do need a
special converter to import a Microsoft Personal Address Book (.pab) file
into Windows XP. I installed the PIM Converters that is on the Outlook
CD-ROM. With the PIM converter installed, you can import a .pab file into
Outlook.

"Sue XPnewUserGq7" wrote:

> I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto a
> Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98 PC. How do
> I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import it, and if so, where
> do I get the converter?
>
> Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed from
> the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the Windows 98 PC
> died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import the .pab file into
> Outlook 98?
>
!