How to import Personal Address Book (.pab) file into Windo..

I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto a
Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98 PC. How do
I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import it, and if so, where
do I get the converter?

Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed from
the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the Windows 98 PC
died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import the .pab file into
Outlook 98?
10 answers Last reply
More about import personal address book file windo

    Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
    > I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto
    > a Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98
    > PC. How do I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import
    > it, and if so, where do I get the converter?
    >
    > Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed
    > from the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the
    > Windows 98 PC died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import
    > the .pab file into Outlook 98?

    Hi, Sue;

    Since you have Outlook 98 installed, probably the simplest way is outlined
    in this MS KB article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/

    --

    ....Sky

    ======

    Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
    > I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto
    > a Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98
    > PC. How do I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import
    > it, and if so, where do I get the converter?
    >
    > Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed
    > from the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the
    > Windows 98 PC died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import
    > the .pab file into Outlook 98?

    Outlook specific newsgroups -

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    http://home.kooee.com.au/kingull/savemail.html

    I should have pointed out that mail is encoded and thus not transferable.
    However, Microsoft Excel will read the "dbx" files but messy.
    The way to get around the encryption is to save as plain text.
    That is referred to as: "Comma seperated values for windows" "CSV"
    Same as you see in "Notepad".

    The whole inbox and addresses are DBX files
    Dot dbx (.dbx ).

    OE addresses are in a WAB file. His PAB file is probably from Outlook, not
    OE.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Dorian Grayline" <Nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
    >I should have pointed out that mail is encoded and thus not transferable.
    > However, Microsoft Excel will read the "dbx" files but messy.
    > The way to get around the encryption is to save as plain text.
    > That is referred to as: "Comma seperated values for windows" "CSV"
    > Same as you see in "Notepad".
    >
    > The whole inbox and addresses are DBX files
    > Dot dbx (.dbx ).

    http://home.kooee.com.au/kingull/savemail.html is titled "Saving Email
    Folders" and I didn't see anything there about importing a .pab file into
    either Windows XP or Outlook 98. I should mention that there are no email
    addresses in my Personal Address Book, just FAX numbers and phone numbers. On
    my old PC, I used Outlook 98 only for faxes, and for Outlook's Tasks and
    Notes.

    Sue

    "Dorian Grayline" wrote:

    > http://home.kooee.com.au/kingull/savemail.html

    MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/ is titled "OLEXP: How
    to Import Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express." I did not see anything
    there about importing a .pab file. I should have mentioned that I have never
    used Outlook's Contacts and that I have never used Outlook Express. My
    Microsoft Personal Address Book has fax numbers and phone numbers; no email
    addresses. Under Windows 98, I accessed the Personal Address Book from
    Microsoft Fax, Micorosoft Word, and Outlook.

    Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
    > MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/ is titled
    > "OLEXP: How to Import Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express." I did
    > not see anything there about importing a .pab file. I should have
    > mentioned that I have never used Outlook's Contacts and that I have
    > never used Outlook Express. My Microsoft Personal Address Book has
    > fax numbers and phone numbers; no email addresses. Under Windows 98,
    > I accessed the Personal Address Book from Microsoft Fax, Micorosoft
    > Word, and Outlook.

    If you have Outlook98 installed and want to continue to use the same .PAB,
    why did you ask about importing? Just set up OL98 on the XP machine to use
    that .PAB just as you did on the Win98 system. There's nothing to import.

    --

    ....Sky

    ======

    The .pab file was never in Outlook 98 on the old PC either. It was
    accessible, on the old PC, by Microsoft fax, Microsoft Word and Outlook, but
    it wasn't in Outlook. I am unable to find a way to import it into either
    Outlook 98 or Windows XP.

    "Sky King" wrote:

    > Sue XPnewUserGq7 wrote:
    > > MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q177123/ is titled
    > > "OLEXP: How to Import Outlook Contacts into Outlook Express." I did
    > > not see anything there about importing a .pab file. I should have
    > > mentioned that I have never used Outlook's Contacts and that I have
    > > never used Outlook Express. My Microsoft Personal Address Book has
    > > fax numbers and phone numbers; no email addresses. Under Windows 98,
    > > I accessed the Personal Address Book from Microsoft Fax, Micorosoft
    > > Word, and Outlook.
    >
    > If you have Outlook98 installed and want to continue to use the same .PAB,
    > why did you ask about importing? Just set up OL98 on the XP machine to use
    > that .PAB just as you did on the Win98 system. There's nothing to import.
    >

    > --
    >
    > ....Sky
    >
    > ======

    In case anyone else gets this problem, I discovered the answer. You do need a
    special converter to import a Microsoft Personal Address Book (.pab) file
    into Windows XP. I installed the PIM Converters that is on the Outlook
    CD-ROM. With the PIM converter installed, you can import a .pab file into
    Outlook.

    "Sue XPnewUserGq7" wrote:

    > I need to import my Microsoft Personal Address Book (*.pab) file onto a
    > Windows XP Professional computer that replaced my dead Windows 98 PC. How do
    > I do that? Also, do I need a special converter to import it, and if so, where
    > do I get the converter?
    >
    > Much of the software that had been on the Windows 98 PC was installed from
    > the original CDs onto the Windows XP Professional PC after the Windows 98 PC
    > died, including Outlook 98. Is there a way to import the .pab file into
    > Outlook 98?

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows XP Books