Homegroup password

zibizibi

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have a Win7 desktop and a Win7 laptop, I want to share files from the desktop with the laptop. I created a homegroup on the desktop with a password generated by Win7, but when I try to join this homegroup on my laptop the password is not recognized. Therefore on my desktop I desactivated the password protection of this homegroup, yet I am still asked to supply a password when I try to join the homegroup.

Any suggestion ?

You could always ignore the Homegroup and revert to the old fashioned networking tools. Disable the need for password input on both machines and allow a little time for them to connect to each other before thinking you set it up wrong and start changing settings.[/#000ff]

zibizibi

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
saga : I did both, to no avail.
r-sky : It asks for the password that the owner of the homegroup set (or rather that Win7 set for him)

On both machines the password protection is off, yet I am still asked to provide the homegroup password to join it, and if I provide the same password generated during the homegroup creation, it's not recognized ... GRRR

This isn't going to sound tremendously helpful but it sounds like the wrong password is being input. I can't remember where W7 stores it but you can retrieve it or pehaps renew it and note the new one. The password requirement removal I suggested refers to a different level of protection - the User Account password not the W7 Homegroup one. I assume you're aware that there is a different Homegroup password in each machine.[/#000ff]

zibizibi

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
saga : on my desktop I changed the homegroup password automatically generated by Win7 to something very simple, then I tried this simple password on my laptop to join the desktop homegroup, but same result.

None of the two computers has an account password or Windows password.

I assume you're aware that there is a different Homegroup password in each machine.

I don't understand what you mean by that. I can't even create a homegroup on my laptop, I can just join the desktop homegroup.

But if I understand you correctly, one machine doesn't have a Homegroup password, which tells me networking wasn't set up on there when W7 was installed and running its setup processes - perhaps because no cable was present at the time. I think you need to concentrate on that machine and try to kickstart the networking wizard.[/#000ff]

zibizibi

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Well networking works on this laptop because I get internet through the local network ..

I don't understand anything about this file sharing thing in Win7. Why is it so complicated now ??

zibizibi

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Sorry about that I misread your post.

Sychronized clocks can be very important for authentication. Typically there is some timeout period associated with authentication (based on the timestamp on the request), if the clocks are too far off it can prevent you from authenticating. It appears that for homegroups this happens if over 24 hour difference, but I have worked on other systems that would fail if off by as little as 3-5 minutes. I found this article by Microsoft about this. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2002121

Is there any further information with this error?

This appears to be the same issue you are having. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/a85eaa65-d73a-4324-ad0c-e9a2c1469bd7

Near the bottom this is stated:
I managed to sort this, I deleted everything in the folder C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\, removed my main PC from the homegroup and the started again settting the homegroup up.

You may want to back this up instead of just deleting though.

zibizibi

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks kaa. Just spent 30 minutes doing what this thread indicates, but it doesn't work in my case. I deleted everything in the peernetworking folder on both computers, then left the homegroup and created again. Same problem :(

Are any drives or folders actually set to be shared?[/#000ff]

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I suggest leaving the homegroup you have created and starting over. Ensure that all capitals are accurate, and all numbers are accurate. The password is case sensitive, do whatever you have to do to make sure you can tell the difference between a 1 and a lowercase L. Same goes for 2's and capital Z's.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

The importance of date and time syncho is protection against hackers. On the off chance you live in a different time zone than a hacker who has gained access to your network, they can't access your homegroup.