Add a folder location to Right Click

XP Home
I have made a new "My Pictures" folder in my partitioned "F" drive.
This hopefully will allow "C" to operate a little faster.
Rather than "drag and drop" pictures from my camera to "F" ,I would
like to select and use "Send to" by right clicking.
How can I get "F" drive to appear in the right click menus?

justsid

First: Moving My Pictures to a separate partition is not going to make your
computer operate any faster. Where did you come up with that?

Second: If you want the default My Pictures folder to be in another
partition, you have to drag-and-drop it to the new partition (or
cut-and-paste.) If you merely create a new My Pictures folder in a new
partition you haven't told Windows that this is where you want the folder to
be.

When you move My Pictures to your F drive correctly, your camera should
automatically download to that folder (if the software has been set to
download pictures to My Pictures in the first place.)

After you try this you may notice that there is still a folder in your
system partition called My Pictures. This is in case you install software
that wants to put pictures in the system partition and doesn't care what you
want. Not to worry - the official My Pictures folder will be where you put
it.

A tip: Make sure the My Pictures folder is not open when you move it.
--
Ted Zieglar

"justsid" <justins@TAKESOCKSOFFsidcliffe.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> XP Home
> I have made a new "My Pictures" folder in my partitioned "F" drive.
> This hopefully will allow "C" to operate a little faster.
> Rather than "drag and drop" pictures from my camera to "F" ,I would
> like to select and use "Send to" by right clicking.
> How can I get "F" drive to appear in the right click menus?
>

> justsid

Send To Toys is an enhancement of the Send To system menu. After installing
it you will discover new additions to the Send To menu:

"Add to Send To menu" and "Remove from Send To menu" allow you to
personalize the Send To system menu for drives, folders, and programs.

http://www.gabrieleponti.com/downloads/sendtotoys.exe

"justsid" <justins@TAKESOCKSOFFsidcliffe.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> XP Home
> I have made a new "My Pictures" folder in my partitioned "F" drive.
> This hopefully will allow "C" to operate a little faster.
> Rather than "drag and drop" pictures from my camera to "F" ,I would
> like to select and use "Send to" by right clicking.
> How can I get "F" drive to appear in the right click menus?
>

> justsid

To add a destination to the Send To menu, you must add a shortcut to the
SendTo folder. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then
click Run.
2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
3. Add a destination by doing one of the following: . Use the drag-and-drop
operation to move the item that you want to the SendTo folder; to do so,
right-click, and then click Create Shortcuts Here.
-or-
.. Point to New on the File menu, and then click Shortcut.

Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard.
A new shortcut is created in the SendTo folder, and it is displayed on the
Send To menu.
NOTE: To open the SendTo Folder, you can also perform the following steps:
1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2. Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive C,
unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
3. If you cannot view the items on your drive when you open it, under System
Tasks, click Show the contents of this drive.
4. Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
5. Double-click the folder of the user whose SendTo menu you want to change
(usually your own).
6. Double-click the SendTo folder.
7. The SendTo folder is hidden by default. If the folder is not visible, on
the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then on the View tab, click Show
hidden files and folders.
NOTE: If you want to add a location to the SendTo menus of other users on
the computer, you do not have to repeat these steps, you can copy the
shortcut into the other users' SendTo folders.
Remove a Destination from the Send To Menu
To remove a destination from the Send To menu, do the following: 1. Click
Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type sendto, and then click OK.
3. Right-click the shortcut that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
The shortcut is removed.

"justsid" <justins@TAKESOCKSOFFsidcliffe.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> XP Home
> I have made a new "My Pictures" folder in my partitioned "F" drive.
> This hopefully will allow "C" to operate a little faster.
> Rather than "drag and drop" pictures from my camera to "F" ,I would
> like to select and use "Send to" by right clicking.
> How can I get "F" drive to appear in the right click menus?
>

> justsid

That is incorrect, freeing up space on the partition windows is installed on
WILL speed up your computer if take the empty space you created and set it as
virtual memory.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> First: Moving My Pictures to a separate partition is not going to make your
> computer operate any faster. Where did you come up with that?
>
> Second: If you want the default My Pictures folder to be in another
> partition, you have to drag-and-drop it to the new partition (or
> cut-and-paste.) If you merely create a new My Pictures folder in a new
> partition you haven't told Windows that this is where you want the folder to
> be.
>
> When you move My Pictures to your F drive correctly, your camera should
> automatically download to that folder (if the software has been set to
> download pictures to My Pictures in the first place.)
>
> After you try this you may notice that there is still a folder in your
> system partition called My Pictures. This is in case you install software
> that wants to put pictures in the system partition and doesn't care what you
> want. Not to worry - the official My Pictures folder will be where you put
> it.
>
> A tip: Make sure the My Pictures folder is not open when you move it.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "justsid" <justins@TAKESOCKSOFFsidcliffe.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > XP Home
> > I have made a new "My Pictures" folder in my partitioned "F" drive.
> > This hopefully will allow "C" to operate a little faster.
> > Rather than "drag and drop" pictures from my camera to "F" ,I would
> > like to select and use "Send to" by right clicking.
> > How can I get "F" drive to appear in the right click menus?
> >

> > justsid

You've certainly shown us what you know about virtual memory.

Ted Zieglar

-Adam.D" <AdamD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That is incorrect, freeing up space on the partition windows is installed
> on
> WILL speed up your computer if take the empty space you created and set it
> as
> virtual memory.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> First: Moving My Pictures to a separate partition is not going to make
>> your
>> computer operate any faster. Where did you come up with that?
>>
>> Second: If you want the default My Pictures folder to be in another
>> partition, you have to drag-and-drop it to the new partition (or
>> cut-and-paste.) If you merely create a new My Pictures folder in a new
>> partition you haven't told Windows that this is where you want the folder
>> be.
>>
>> When you move My Pictures to your F drive correctly, your camera should
>> automatically download to that folder (if the software has been set to
>> download pictures to My Pictures in the first place.)
>>
>> After you try this you may notice that there is still a folder in your
>> system partition called My Pictures. This is in case you install software
>> that wants to put pictures in the system partition and doesn't care what
>> you
>> want. Not to worry - the official My Pictures folder will be where you
>> put
>> it.
>>
>> A tip: Make sure the My Pictures folder is not open when you move it.
>> --
>> Ted Zieglar
>>

>> "justsid" <justins@TAKESOCKSOFFsidcliffe.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > XP Home
>> > I have made a new "My Pictures" folder in my partitioned "F" drive.
>> > This hopefully will allow "C" to operate a little faster.
>> > Rather than "drag and drop" pictures from my camera to "F" ,I would
>> > like to select and use "Send to" by right clicking.
>> > How can I get "F" drive to appear in the right click menus?
>> >

>> > justsid

I guess I deserved that, but virtual memory IS stored on the hard drive,
and used for some apps, not all, and no, your right, I do not know much about
virtual memory, I spend most of my time programming.

Sorry for confusion.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> You've certainly shown us what you know about virtual memory.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> -Adam.D" <AdamD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That is incorrect, freeing up space on the partition windows is installed
> > on
> > WILL speed up your computer if take the empty space you created and set it
> > as
> > virtual memory.
> >
> > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
> >
> >> First: Moving My Pictures to a separate partition is not going to make
> >> your
> >> computer operate any faster. Where did you come up with that?
> >>
> >> Second: If you want the default My Pictures folder to be in another
> >> partition, you have to drag-and-drop it to the new partition (or
> >> cut-and-paste.) If you merely create a new My Pictures folder in a new
> >> partition you haven't told Windows that this is where you want the folder
> >> be.
> >>
> >> When you move My Pictures to your F drive correctly, your camera should
> >> automatically download to that folder (if the software has been set to
> >> download pictures to My Pictures in the first place.)
> >>
> >> After you try this you may notice that there is still a folder in your
> >> system partition called My Pictures. This is in case you install software
> >> that wants to put pictures in the system partition and doesn't care what
> >> you
> >> want. Not to worry - the official My Pictures folder will be where you
> >> put
> >> it.
> >>
> >> A tip: Make sure the My Pictures folder is not open when you move it.
> >> --
> >> Ted Zieglar
> >>

> >> "justsid" <justins@TAKESOCKSOFFsidcliffe.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

For most of us, virtual memory is about as easy to understand as
hieroglyphics. Jim Eshelman takes a pretty good stab at it here:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

>I guess I deserved that, but virtual memory IS stored on the hard drive,
> and used for some apps, not all, and no, your right, I do not know much
> about
> virtual memory, I spend most of my time programming.
>
> Sorry for confusion.
>

> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> You've certainly shown us what you know about virtual memory.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> -Adam.D" <AdamD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > That is incorrect, freeing up space on the partition windows is
>> > installed
>> > on
>> > WILL speed up your computer if take the empty space you created and set
>> > it
>> > as
>> > virtual memory.

Ted. Ref. Your first para. This is a "New User" NG.

justsid
> First: Moving My Pictures to a separate partition is not going to make
> your
> computer operate any faster. Where did you come up with that?
>
> Second: If you want the default My Pictures folder to be in another
> partition, you have to drag-and-drop it to the new partition (or
> cut-and-paste.) If you merely create a new My Pictures folder in a new
> partition you haven't told Windows that this is where you want the folder
> be.
>
> When you move My Pictures to your F drive correctly, your camera should
> automatically download to that folder (if the software has been set to
> download pictures to My Pictures in the first place.)
>
> After you try this you may notice that there is still a folder in your
> system partition called My Pictures. This is in case you install software
> that wants to put pictures in the system partition and doesn't care what
> you
> want. Not to worry - the official My Pictures folder will be where you put
> it.
>
> A tip: Make sure the My Pictures folder is not open when you move it.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "justsid" <justins@TAKESOCKSOFFsidcliffe.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> XP Home
>> I have made a new "My Pictures" folder in my partitioned "F" drive.
>> This hopefully will allow "C" to operate a little faster.
>> Rather than "drag and drop" pictures from my camera to "F" ,I would
>> like to select and use "Send to" by right clicking.
>> How can I get "F" drive to appear in the right click menus?
>>

>> justsid

Very comprehensive replies, my thanks to all.

justsid

Hi, Ted.

That's the right article and the right web page, which Jim Eshelman hosts,
but Alex Nichol wrote the article. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA