email not working for users

Let me start off by saying the more i learn about windows xp the more i love
windows 98 LOL.
as long as im loged in as the admin the e-mail works fine.
but all the user acounts are being blocked.
here is the error i get:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

what i dont understand is why the admin account works but users cant use
there email.

im useing Outlook express
on Win XP SP2
I have turned off all firewalls
I can surf the net so i do have a connection

I don't think the problem is because of a lack of admin rights, but I might
suggest you check the settings on both accounts and make sure all settings
are the same.

Also, what do you mean by "all the user acounts are being blocked.", does it
actually return an error telling users that they have a lack of priviledges?

Hope this helps!

-Adam.D

"LostinXP" wrote:

> Let me start off by saying the more i learn about windows xp the more i love
> windows 98 LOL.
> as long as im loged in as the admin the e-mail works fine.
> but all the user acounts are being blocked.
> here is the error i get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
> Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> what i dont understand is why the admin account works but users cant use
> there email.
>
> im useing Outlook express
> on Win XP SP2
> I have turned off all firewalls
> I can surf the net so i do have a connection

no it does not say there is a lack of priviledges.
it just gives me the error
all settings or the same.
and it seems now that the admin account is no longer working. #$$%$@

could it be something in outlook express?
I have the same settings on anothe pc and they are working fine ( win 98 )
its just this XP that seems to be giving me the trouble.

"-Adam.D" wrote:

> I don't think the problem is because of a lack of admin rights, but I might
> suggest you check the settings on both accounts and make sure all settings
> are the same.
>
> Also, what do you mean by "all the user acounts are being blocked.", does it
> actually return an error telling users that they have a lack of priviledges?
>
> Hope this helps!
>

> -Adam.D
>

> "LostinXP" wrote:
>
> > Let me start off by saying the more i learn about windows xp the more i love
> > windows 98 LOL.
> > as long as im loged in as the admin the e-mail works fine.
> > but all the user acounts are being blocked.
> > here is the error i get:
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
> > Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> > Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > what i dont understand is why the admin account works but users cant use
> > there email.
> >
> > im useing Outlook express
> > on Win XP SP2
> > I have turned off all firewalls
> > I can surf the net so i do have a connection

Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It provides no
additional protection and even Symantec says it's not necessary:

<paste>
Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and
malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection in
addition to Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including
email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus
definitions up to date with LiveUpdate, and keep Auto-Protect enabled and
set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully
protected.
</paste>
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/df0a595864594c86852567ac0063608c/65434372961d321d8825687f000003f8

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

--
OE6-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

LostinXP wrote:
> Let me start off by saying the more i learn about windows xp the more i
> love windows 98 LOL.
> as long as im loged in as the admin the e-mail works fine.
> but all the user acounts are being blocked.
> here is the error i get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
> Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> what i dont understand is why the admin account works but users cant use
> there email.
>
> im useing Outlook express
> on Win XP SP2
> I have turned off all firewalls
> I can surf the net so i do have a connection

What mail program?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"LostinXP" <LostinXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Let me start off by saying the more i learn about windows xp the more i
> love
> windows 98 LOL.
> as long as im loged in as the admin the e-mail works fine.
> but all the user acounts are being blocked.
> here is the error i get:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
> Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> what i dont understand is why the admin account works but users cant use
> there email.
>
> im useing Outlook express
> on Win XP SP2
> I have turned off all firewalls
> I can surf the net so i do have a connection

This is a brand new pc with the OEM install from factory.
the email has never work.
it was SP1 and i updated it to SP2 before I ever tried to set up e-mail.

Maybe it has a bad install, bad files or something.
is ther a way to reinstall outlook express?

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:

> What mail program?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>

> "LostinXP" <LostinXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Let me start off by saying the more i learn about windows xp the more i
> > love
> > windows 98 LOL.
> > as long as im loged in as the admin the e-mail works fine.
> > but all the user acounts are being blocked.
> > here is the error i get:
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
> > Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> > Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > what i dont understand is why the admin account works but users cant use
> > there email.
> >
> > im useing Outlook express
> > on Win XP SP2
> > I have turned off all firewalls
> > I can surf the net so i do have a connection

Turn off email scanning in your anti-virus. It provides no added
protection.
Email scanning slows down Sending and Receiving, sometimes enough that OE
times out. Since some of the received messages have large (often virus)
attachments, which exasperates the problem.
Some Comcast users have found it necessary to totally uninstall Norton and
switch to the free AVG with mail scanning off.

See:
Error 0x800ccc0d or 0x800ccc0f When Receiving and Sending E-Mail
(talks about Norton AntiVirus but applies to McAfee and others, too)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329918&sd=RMVP

Norton invented email scanning and here's what they say:
From http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/norton_antivirus.shtml

"Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and
malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection in
addition to Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including
email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus
definitions up to date with LiveUpdate, and keep Auto-Protect enabled and
set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully
protected."

So Symantec used to say this often and clearly. The newer stuff doesn't
have the statement included as it was considered an embarrassment. If you
know anyone who programs for Norton try to get them to talk about it.

Also see
Error 0x800ccc0e, Socket Err 10061 (Outlook or Outlook Express & Exchange)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191687

--

> This is a brand new pc with the OEM install from factory.
> the email has never work.
> it was SP1 and i updated it to SP2 before I ever tried to set up e-mail.
>
> Maybe it has a bad install, bad files or something.
> is ther a way to reinstall outlook express?
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" wrote:
>
>> What mail program?
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>>

>> "LostinXP" <LostinXP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Let me start off by saying the more i learn about windows xp the more i
>> > love
>> > windows 98 LOL.
>> > as long as im loged in as the admin the e-mail works fine.
>> > but all the user acounts are being blocked.
>> > here is the error i get:
>> >
>> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.xxxxxxxxx.com',
>> > Server: 'pop.xxxxxxxxxx.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
>> > No,
>> > Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>> >
>> > what i dont understand is why the admin account works but users cant
>> > use
>> > there email.
>> >
>> > im useing Outlook express
>> > on Win XP SP2
>> > I have turned off all firewalls
>> > I can surf the net so i do have a connection

OK Guys!
Dont know what i did but its fixed now.
got to love computers.
still not sure how it got fixed. : )