Sign in with
Your question

Will my system handle Far Cry 2?

Last response: in Video Games
October 14, 2008 3:06:08 PM

Good morning/afternoon/evening all. Here are my systems specs; at least the ones most relevant to gaming:

Asus M2N-E Mainboard
AMD Athlon X2 (2.0GHz) 3800+
4GB OCZ PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) (1gb x 4) Platinum Revision 2
Asus (EAX1950PRO) Radeon x1950 Pro PCI-E w/256MB
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Western Digital (WD2500AAKS) 250GB Hard Drive

I've been looking around at far cry 2 system specs online, trying to determine if I need to do a processor or video card upgrade before october 21st when this game is released. I'm thinking my video card should be ok for low-medium settings, but I think my processor is a bit weak. I don't know how much the processor will play in the mix with this game even though they recommend a 5200+. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-- MaSoP

More about : system handle cry

October 14, 2008 3:58:54 PM

wait until it is actually released, but you should be able to run it. However, running it on, as you say, low medium settings is most probably the limit.... I would say that both CPU and GPU will need an upgrade to go much higher than that, but as ever, the longer you hold out on upgrading, the cheaper stuff will get (and since the game you want isn't even out yet, there isn't much point for you... yet)
October 14, 2008 3:59:56 PM

In my opinion cpu will struggle.
Related resources
October 14, 2008 5:36:44 PM

I'd expect the game's performance to be similar to that of Crysis, so your system should be able to "handle" it on low/medium settings.
October 14, 2008 5:46:33 PM

Heyyou27 said:
I'd expect the game's performance to be similar to that of Crysis, so your system should be able to "handle" it on low/medium settings.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll ride out the fall season once I pickup the game in 1 week assuming they stick to the 10/21/08 (Tue) release date. If it runs like Crysis does than I should be fine for the most part. I always wanted to see Crysis in all it's glory but my system is incapable of doing so. I will say that the original Far Cry played very well on my previous rig which included an Athlon XP 3200+, 9800 Pro 256MB and 2GB of memory. I can't recall which settings I used on the original, but I do know I used medium settings in Crysis which was perfectly acceptable.

Unless the game plays only in low res mode, I'll hold off on an upgrade until black friday, or christmas. If I see any crazy black friday ads online for a faster AM2+ based processor (retail boxed) or video card than I may jump then. Thanks again, to all 3 who replied to my original question. :-)

-- MaSoP
October 14, 2008 6:27:17 PM

I actually read that it should be less demanding than Crysis.

Since I was able to play Crysis at medium settings @ 1920 x 1200 with my Radeon 1900XT 512MB, I expect Far Cry 2 should run fine. I didn't notice any low FPS in Crysis until the final battle when I had to fire at the belly of the beast; at which point I definitely noticed low FPS (probably mid-teens).

I typically play a stealth game in Crysis. I don't go in guns blazing unless I need to which could be why I don't really notice any sluggish performance until the end.
October 14, 2008 11:51:49 PM

WTF??? how can a X1900 handle crysis medium in such a high res????? how many FPS?
Everyone had trouble at the final battle my OCed Q6600 and 4870 couldn't run it, it's a bug, you have to run at DX9 mode.
October 15, 2008 4:55:10 PM

jaguarskx said:
I actually read that it should be less demanding than Crysis.

Since I was able to play Crysis at medium settings @ 1920 x 1200 with my Radeon 1900XT 512MB, I expect Far Cry 2 should run fine. I didn't notice any low FPS in Crysis until the final battle when I had to fire at the belly of the beast; at which point I definitely noticed low FPS (probably mid-teens).

I typically play a stealth game in Crysis. I don't go in guns blazing unless I need to which could be why I don't really notice any sluggish performance until the end.

That is good to hear. I hope it is. Even if it is in between the original far cry and crysis I should be alright. :-) I tend to play stealth as well rather than going all crazy out in the open. That does tend to increase game performance and allow higher FPS rates. Thanks for the reply.

-- MaSoP
October 16, 2008 3:29:54 AM

z999 said:
WTF??? how can a X1900 handle crysis medium in such a high res????? how many FPS?
Everyone had trouble at the final battle my OCed Q6600 and 4870 couldn't run it, it's a bug, you have to run at DX9 mode.

Because he was using stealth. If he went in guns blazing throughout the entire game like I did he would have seen much lower frame rates. When you blow up buildings while shooting at 5-10 enemies who are shooting back, things get laggy. I know, because that happened to me a couple of times. Mainly since it was a lot of debris flying around, and the CPU must calculate all the physics for each piece of debris. Not to mention the GPU has to render all the flying debris.

BTW, I play at 1280x1024 all settings high and AA off since I only have DX9.
October 17, 2008 4:26:12 PM

soloman02 said:
Because he was using stealth. If he went in guns blazing throughout the entire game like I did he would have seen much lower frame rates. When you blow up buildings while shooting at 5-10 enemies who are shooting back, things get laggy. I know, because that happened to me a couple of times. Mainly since it was a lot of debris flying around, and the CPU must calculate all the physics for each piece of debris. Not to mention the GPU has to render all the flying debris.

BTW, I play at 1280x1024 all settings high and AA off since I only have DX9.

I've never even attempted at using any of the advanced features such as AA or TriLinear filtering, etc on any games thus far. I suppose I may tinker with it out of curiosity when I get FC2. The resolution I usually play at is 1024x768. I can't do 1280x1024 because my 19" widescreen samsung natively tops off at 1440x900. I suppose I could try selecting it by unchecking the option to reveal the unsupported resolutions listing, though it likely wouldn't look right.

It would be nice to have the option to be able to go into a slaughterfest with guns blazing without laggy frame rates, lol. :-) I'll never play any "good" game with anything other than medium settings at a minimum if at all possible. love the eye candy!

-- MaSoP
October 18, 2008 4:43:51 AM

SpinachEater said:
Two words. DX 10.1

If AC is any indication of how DX10.1 can improve performance, FarCry2 could look just as good as Crysis and run a lot better on ATI cards. I need to start dusting off Vista...

Look at these demos....amazing
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/118856.ht...

I just won an auction on ebay for a Sapphire RadeOn x1950 Pro 256mb which I plan on saddling with my current x1950 for a Crossfire setup. I got it for a sweet price, $30 - 10% off plus $6 shipping. I wonder how that will help with games like Half-Life 2, Crysis and Far Cry 2? The benchmarks I've seen for x1900 xt cards in CF mode seems to pull anywhere from 10% to double the frame rates depending on the game, resolution and advanced settings used compared with a single x1950. This should be interesting once I get the setup in place.

-- MaSoP
October 18, 2008 6:23:53 AM

z999 said:

Yeah I have WinXP installed on my PC. It seems I need to update my sig since it is not listed.

I tend to use stealth in FPS games. I like to snipe my enemies (love heat shots) if possible and also use cloak at lot in dense foliage so that I can run in grab an enemy then throw him in the air so that the fall would kill him. Kinda like Predator; too bad there's no option for a knife in the game.

Don't know what my FPS is since I never bothered to check it.
October 20, 2008 8:21:24 PM

jaguarskx said:
Yeah I have WinXP installed on my PC. It seems I need to update my sig since it is not listed.

I tend to use stealth in FPS games. I like to snipe my enemies (love heat shots) if possible and also use cloak at lot in dense foliage so that I can run in grab an enemy then throw him in the air so that the fall would kill him. Kinda like Predator; too bad there's no option for a knife in the game.

Don't know what my FPS is since I never bothered to check it.

I wonder why they never added a knife as an option. That is a good question. :-)

-- MaSoP
October 24, 2008 10:45:37 PM

just got done doing some exploration in far cry 2 seeing how my FPS comes in...

I was pleasantly suprised running a qx9650 @ 3.6 with 3 8800gtxs with very high settings except high on post processing at anti 2x i was cranking in 76-82 fps @1080p....I could even vsync up and lock on 60 with zero lag. running the nvidia beta driver (first ran it with a 178.. with good results as well) 180 i found some extra stablity and a small fps boost. Anyone else having similar results? most of the benches i have seen only show a single 8800gtx and sli'd/cf 200 series/4870's.
October 26, 2008 8:57:09 AM

^You need to try Ultra High settings. Yes there are settings higher than very High in FC2. Just go to the Overall Settings box and select Ultra High.

With my setup I get 40FPS. Considering I have a single AT HD2900Pro 1GB thats freaking good for it on Ultra High, the rest that dont have Ultra High Very High and DX10.
October 28, 2008 12:39:46 AM

ultra high dx 10 at anti 2x @1080 I average 30-36
Anonymous
March 14, 2009 1:34:50 AM

Although I am currently building a new machine, my old machine has a x1900xtx with a 1.63 dual core processor and 2 gig ddr2. I was really surprised by it's performance, and had it running on high settings with a very playable smooth frame-rate (can't remember the exact figue). Although I did tone done the fire effects to low. Hope this helps.
March 15, 2009 2:00:24 AM

It wont help, seeing as the thread is 5 months old.
!