Inoperative CAD keys

Running Windows XP PRO.IE6 . When my pc freezes am unable to use theCAD keys
to access the Close Program dialogue box and have to resort to the reset
button. I have checked that the CAD keys function in a running application
which they do. I have also performed a clean boot to no effect. How can I
resolve this problem. Thank you.

Hi Ian,

In Windows 9x, CAD brings up the Close Program dialogue box, but in NT-based
OSes it brings up the Task Manager. If the CAD keys successfully activates
the Task Manager, click on the Applications tab, click on the "offending"
program and then click on the End Task button.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Running Windows XP PRO.IE6 . When my pc freezes am unable to use theCAD
keys
> to access the Close Program dialogue box and have to resort to the reset
> button. I have checked that the CAD keys function in a running application
> which they do. I have also performed a clean boot to no effect. How can I
> resolve this problem. Thank you.

Hi, Ian.

I'm happy to say that I haven't had the problem, but I've heard that this
can be caused by a virus. So I asked Google to look for "ctrl alt del
+virus" and got 86,000 hits!

Here's the first one. I'm not sure it fully answers your questions, but
it's a starting point...
AIM virus, Sys Restore, REGEDIT and ctrl/alt/del DO NOT WORK
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=40678&messageID=477052

Have you run anti-malware programs recently? An antivirus, plus Ad-aware,
SpyBot and all the others that are recommended here several times a day?
Have you visited Windows Update recently; do you have WinXP SP2 installed?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Running Windows XP PRO.IE6 . When my pc freezes am unable to use theCAD
> keys to access the Close Program dialogue box and have to resort to the
> reset button. I have checked that the CAD keys function in a running
> application which they do. I have also performed a clean boot to no
> effect. How can I resolve this problem. Thank you.

Hello Patti Macleod
Thank you for correcting my misuse of terms. I have recently upgraded from
Win Me to XP pro and from force of habit I used WinMe terminology. However,
my problem is still not resolved for when my pc freezes I can not pull-down
the Task Manager dialogue box with the cad keys so am unable to hit the End
Task button . Any suggestions please

Regards
Skipbs

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Ian,
>
> In Windows 9x, CAD brings up the Close Program dialogue box, but in
> NT-based
> OSes it brings up the Task Manager. If the CAD keys successfully activates
> the Task Manager, click on the Applications tab, click on the "offending"
> program and then click on the End Task button.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Running Windows XP PRO.IE6 . When my pc freezes am unable to use theCAD
> keys
>> to access the Close Program dialogue box and have to resort to the reset
>> button. I have checked that the CAD keys function in a running
>> application
>> which they do. I have also performed a clean boot to no effect. How can I
>> resolve this problem. Thank you.

Hi, Ian.

Ctrl+Alt+Del should ALWAYS work! But, when it doesn't there is at least one
other way to access Task Manager: Right-click on a blank area of your
Taskbar, then choose Task Manager from the context menu.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hello Patti Macleod
> Thank you for correcting my misuse of terms. I have recently upgraded from
> Win Me to XP pro and from force of habit I used WinMe terminology.
> However, my problem is still not resolved for when my pc freezes I can not
> pull-down the Task Manager dialogue box with the cad keys so am unable to
> hit the End Task button . Any suggestions please
>
> Regards
> Skipbs
>
> "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> In Windows 9x, CAD brings up the Close Program dialogue box, but in
>> NT-based
>> OSes it brings up the Task Manager. If the CAD keys successfully
>> activates
>> the Task Manager, click on the Applications tab, click on the "offending"
>> program and then click on the End Task button.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Patti MacLeod
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Running Windows XP PRO.IE6 . When my pc freezes am unable to use theCAD
>> keys
>>> to access the Close Program dialogue box and have to resort to the reset
>>> button. I have checked that the CAD keys function in a running
>>> application
>>> which they do. I have also performed a clean boot to no effect. How can
>>> resolve this problem. Thank you.

Hi RC White

Control>Alt>Delete never works on my PC when an application freezes: and as
the mouse arrow also locks how do I right-click the task bar to pull down
the Task Manager to clear the offending programme. Any other suggestions.?

Skip BS

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Ian.
>
> Ctrl+Alt+Del should ALWAYS work! But, when it doesn't there is at least
> one other way to access Task Manager: Right-click on a blank area of your
> Taskbar, then choose Task Manager from the context menu.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hello Patti Macleod
>> Thank you for correcting my misuse of terms. I have recently upgraded
>> from Win Me to XP pro and from force of habit I used WinMe terminology.
>> However, my problem is still not resolved for when my pc freezes I can
>> not pull-down the Task Manager dialogue box with the cad keys so am
>> unable to hit the End Task button . Any suggestions please
>>
>> Regards
>> Skipbs
>>
>> "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> Hi Ian,
>>>
>>> In Windows 9x, CAD brings up the Close Program dialogue box, but in
>>> NT-based
>>> OSes it brings up the Task Manager. If the CAD keys successfully
>>> activates
>>> the Task Manager, click on the Applications tab, click on the
>>> "offending"
>>> program and then click on the End Task button.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Patti MacLeod
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> keys

Hi, Skip.

You haven't yet responded to my 12/10/04 post, where I pointed out some
posts 86,000 found on Google, including a link to one of them.

Let me ask again, since you haven't bothered to answer any of these
questions in that post:
"Have you run anti-malware programs recently? An antivirus, plus Ad-aware,
SpyBot and all the others that are recommended here several times a day?
Have you visited Windows Update recently; do you have WinXP SP2 installed?"

Does this happen with one specific application, or with several different
programs?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hi RC White
>
> Control>Alt>Delete never works on my PC when an application freezes: and
> as the mouse arrow also locks how do I right-click the task bar to pull
> down the Task Manager to clear the offending programme. Any other
> suggestions.?
>
> Skip BS
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Ian.
>>
>> Ctrl+Alt+Del should ALWAYS work! But, when it doesn't there is at least
>> one other way to access Task Manager: Right-click on a blank area of
>> your Taskbar, then choose Task Manager from the context menu.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hello Patti Macleod
>>> Thank you for correcting my misuse of terms. I have recently upgraded
>>> from Win Me to XP pro and from force of habit I used WinMe terminology.
>>> However, my problem is still not resolved for when my pc freezes I can
>>> not pull-down the Task Manager dialogue box with the cad keys so am
>>> unable to hit the End Task button . Any suggestions please
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Skipbs
>>>
>>> "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message

Hi RC White

The only post I received on the date you mention was from Patti Mcleod which
was in answer to my prime question. In answer to your queries it is yes, and
I run automatic up dates in Windows. I have alsoWinXP SP2 installed. Perhaps
I was asleep the date you mentioned!!!!

> Hi, Skip.
>
> You haven't yet responded to my 12/10/04 post, where I pointed out some
> posts 86,000 found on Google, including a link to one of them.
>
> Let me ask again, since you haven't bothered to answer any of these
> questions in that post:
> "Have you run anti-malware programs recently? An antivirus, plus
> Ad-aware,
> SpyBot and all the others that are recommended here several times a day?
> Have you visited Windows Update recently; do you have WinXP SP2
> installed?"
>
> Does this happen with one specific application, or with several different
> programs?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi RC White
>>
>> Control>Alt>Delete never works on my PC when an application freezes: and
>> as the mouse arrow also locks how do I right-click the task bar to pull
>> down the Task Manager to clear the offending programme. Any other
>> suggestions.?
>>
>> Skip BS
>>
>> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, Ian.
>>>
>>> Ctrl+Alt+Del should ALWAYS work! But, when it doesn't there is at least
>>> one other way to access Task Manager: Right-click on a blank area of
>>> your Taskbar, then choose Task Manager from the context menu.
>>>
>>> RC
>>>
>>> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Hi, Skip.

Sorry, my last post came out a bit more gruff than I intended. :>[

But I did post a message on 12/10/04. Here is the text in full:

<Paste>
Hi, Ian.

I'm happy to say that I haven't had the problem, but I've heard that this
can be caused by a virus. So I asked Google to look for "ctrl alt del
+virus" and got 86,000 hits!

Here's the first one. I'm not sure it fully answers your questions, but
it's a starting point...
AIM virus, Sys Restore, REGEDIT and ctrl/alt/del DO NOT WORK
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=40678&messageID=477052

Have you run anti-malware programs recently? An antivirus, plus Ad-aware,
SpyBot and all the others that are recommended here several times a day?
Have you visited Windows Update recently; do you have WinXP SP2 installed?

RC
<End Paste>

Are you subscribing to these Microsoft public newsgroups through your ISP's
new server? These groups are hosted on the Microsoft public news server,
which is free and does not require you to log on. Many other servers simply
"slurp" messages from the host and relay them - and responses - back and
forth; this often results in messages that are delayed, out of sequence, or
just lost. Many of those servers provide only some of the 2000+ NGs
available.

Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, if you click here:

OE should start (if it is not running already), the News Account for msnews
should be created, and the 300 latest headers from this NG should be
downloaded. In other words, you should end up right back here, but "cutting
out the middleman". At your convenience, you can customize OE to suit
yourself, such as setting it get more than 300 headers at a time, and
keeping them more than 5 days before deleting them from your hard drive.

But I still don't know why Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work for you. If you
answered my question about "which application", I missed that answer. And
I'm not sure if you told us whether you tried Google - and what results you
found there.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hi RC White
>
> The only post I received on the date you mention was from Patti Mcleod
> which was in answer to my prime question. In answer to your queries it is
> yes, and I run automatic up dates in Windows. I have alsoWinXP SP2
> installed. Perhaps > I was asleep the date you mentioned!!!!
>
> Regards
>
> Skipbs
>
> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
>> Hi, Skip.
>>
>> You haven't yet responded to my 12/10/04 post, where I pointed out some
>> posts 86,000 found on Google, including a link to one of them.
>>
>> Let me ask again, since you haven't bothered to answer any of these
>> questions in that post:
>> "Have you run anti-malware programs recently? An antivirus, plus
>> Ad-aware,
>> SpyBot and all the others that are recommended here several times a day?
>> Have you visited Windows Update recently; do you have WinXP SP2
>> installed?"
>>
>> Does this happen with one specific application, or with several different
>> programs?
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Ian Barras-Smith" <skip@barras-smith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Hi RC White
>>>
>>> Control>Alt>Delete never works on my PC when an application freezes: and
>>> as the mouse arrow also locks how do I right-click the task bar to pull
>>> down the Task Manager to clear the offending programme. Any other
>>> suggestions.?
>>>
>>> Skip BS
>>>
>>> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message

Hi RC White (how formal can you get ?)

Wow- as a Newbie you are confusing me-I think! I have tried Google on your
instigation with no results. Freezing occurs on random applications. I am
subscribing to Microsoft Public via my ISP who provides the maximum number
of NG`s,and have also checked for a virus with negative results. I have
followed your advice to a letter but sadly CAD will not respond.

Anyway thanks for your patience and a merry Christmas to you and yours.

> [...]
>> yes, and I run automatic up dates in Windows. I have alsoWinXP SP2
>> installed. Perhaps > I was asleep the date you mentioned!!!!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Skipbs
>>
>> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi, Skip.
>>>
>>> You haven't yet responded to my 12/10/04 post, where I pointed out some
>>> posts 86,000 found on Google, including a link to one of them.
>>>
>>> Let me ask again, since you haven't bothered to answer any of these
>>> questions in that post:
>>> "Have you run anti-malware programs recently? An antivirus, plus
>>> Ad-aware,
>>> SpyBot and all the others that are recommended here several times a day?
>>> Have you visited Windows Update recently; do you have WinXP SP2
>>> installed?"
>>>
>>> Does this happen with one specific application, or with several

Skipbs,
Just wondering, if the version of the CAD program you are using was originally for a Win9x PC? And you installed it into a WinXP machine, and does not work properly? The software may not be compatible with XP, so you may need to purchase new version that works with newer OS.

You may want to check the manufacture's websit and see if there are any downloads that might be required for WinXP for that program.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>