Why can I run every game but Spore locks up my computer?

Blah DTMM

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Well I recently got a new computer, its about 3 weeks old now and I've had pretty much no problems at all. I can run Crysis at high settings very easily, every other game works perfectly as well too. The only game that gives me problems is spore. I can play sometimes for 2 minutes, sometimes for maybe half an hour or so, until it freezes and completely locks up my computer. The sound will start to stutter, and then the display usually becomes pixelated, sometimes it just turns black. There is no way out of this once it happens, I must restart my computer via the power button. There has been maybe twice where I've been able to have it playing for the majority of the game, until I reach space and it did it again. Maybe just a coincidence though, I'm not sure.

For reference, here's a picture of what it usually looks like when it freezes: http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010341mv8.jpg

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHZ
Radeon HD 4870
4 GB Ram DDR2
Windows Vista 32 bit running DirectX 10

It's definitely not a heating issue, everything is running at about 50 - 55 degrees Celcius, I've tried installing the patch, it will freeze with or without the patch. I don't understand why it's just this game and none of my other games have this problem.

I would be tempted to say memory, heat, or a bad GPU, but a working Crysis throws a wrench into that theory...

Run memtest86, just to rule out RAM. Post both GFX and CPU while gaming, just for us to rule that out too.

Blah DTMM

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Sorry I kinda suck at things like this. I've downloaded memtest from http://www.memtest86.com/, now what do I do? I don't know how to get it to run. And what do you want me to post about my GFX and CPU and how do I do it? Thanks for your patience with me.

Blah DTMM

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Well I mount the image using daemon tools, and when I click on boot, it says: "the file is invalid for use as the following: Security catalog".

My PSU is the antec TPQ 850.

robhiphop31

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I've got the exact same problem. Only with me, the freeze comes after 2 or 3 minutes every time. I get the exact same pixelated screen as you.

My specs:

E6700 2.66 Ghz
4 GB RAM
Radeon 4870 512 MB
Silverstone 550 W PSU
Windows Vista Home Premium

Anybody got any ideas here? I can't find a solution anywhere and EA support is not much help.

My graphics card occasionally runs a bit hot (60 - 65 C) but I can run graphically intensive games such as Crysis and Far Cry 2 no problem. But Spore always crashes and hangs.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well I mount the image using daemon tools, and when I click on boot, it says: "the file is invalid for use as the following: Security catalog".
You need CD burning software, which will burn the ISO image to a CD to make a bootable CD!

Mike.