XP + Windows 2000 Server

Hi, I have a notebook come with Windows XP installed.I need a Windows 2000
server on the same machine as a dual boot system, so I tried to install Win
2000 server. If installation is from XP, it is impossible, as XP does not
allow install a lower version. If install from start the machine with Server
CD, the installation is successful. I could chose to start from Server. But
when I chose start from XP, I got the following error:

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupted:
Windows\system32\config\SYSTEMd start options for windows 2000 press F8.
You can attempt to repair the file by start Windows 2000 setup with the
original setup floppy disk or CD-Room, select 'r'at the first screen to
start repair.

I inserted the Server install CD, pressed 'r', it asked for chose Windows or
Winnt to repair. I tried both, but nothing repaired.

Where is the problem? XP or hardware?

Thanks!

min
9 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 server

    You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all previous versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini and ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the latest version.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eeQrRP03EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > Hi, I have a notebook come with Windows XP installed.I need a Windows 2000
    > server on the same machine as a dual boot system, so I tried to install Win
    > 2000 server. If installation is from XP, it is impossible, as XP does not
    > allow install a lower version. If install from start the machine with Server
    > CD, the installation is successful. I could chose to start from Server. But
    > when I chose start from XP, I got the following error:
    >
    > Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupted:
    > Windows\system32\config\SYSTEMd start options for windows 2000 press F8.
    > You can attempt to repair the file by start Windows 2000 setup with the
    > original setup floppy disk or CD-Room, select 'r'at the first screen to
    > start repair.
    >
    > I inserted the Server install CD, pressed 'r', it asked for chose Windows or
    > Winnt to repair. I tried both, but nothing repaired.
    >
    > Where is the problem? XP or hardware?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > min

    Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to repair the
    boot files with XP?

    "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OD3iLX03EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all previous
    versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini and
    ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the
    latest version.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have a notebook come with Windows XP installed.I need a Windows 2000
    > server on the same machine as a dual boot system, so I tried to install
    Win
    > 2000 server. If installation is from XP, it is impossible, as XP does not
    > allow install a lower version. If install from start the machine with
    Server
    > CD, the installation is successful. I could chose to start from Server.
    But
    > when I chose start from XP, I got the following error:
    >
    > Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupted:
    > Windows\system32\config\SYSTEMd start options for windows 2000 press F8.
    > You can attempt to repair the file by start Windows 2000 setup with the
    > original setup floppy disk or CD-Room, select 'r'at the first screen to
    > start repair.
    >
    > I inserted the Server install CD, pressed 'r', it asked for chose Windows
    or
    > Winnt to repair. I tried both, but nothing repaired.
    >
    > Where is the problem? XP or hardware?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > min

    You already did it with 2000. Do it with XP.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23RmxgA43EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to repair the
    > boot files with XP?
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OD3iLX03EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all previous
    > versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini and
    > ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the
    > latest version.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have a notebook come with Windows XP installed.I need a Windows 2000
    >> server on the same machine as a dual boot system, so I tried to install
    > Win
    >> 2000 server. If installation is from XP, it is impossible, as XP does not
    >> allow install a lower version. If install from start the machine with
    > Server
    >> CD, the installation is successful. I could chose to start from Server.
    > But
    >> when I chose start from XP, I got the following error:
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
    >> corrupted:
    >> Windows\system32\config\SYSTEMd start options for windows 2000 press F8.
    >> You can attempt to repair the file by start Windows 2000 setup with the
    >> original setup floppy disk or CD-Room, select 'r'at the first screen to
    >> start repair.
    >>
    >> I inserted the Server install CD, pressed 'r', it asked for chose Windows
    > or
    >> Winnt to repair. I tried both, but nothing repaired.
    >>
    >> Where is the problem? XP or hardware?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> min

    I inserted the XP CD, pressed 'r', but still the same error when chose start
    of XP.

    "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OeR2SO43EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    You already did it with 2000. Do it with XP.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to repair the
    > boot files with XP?
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OD3iLX03EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all
    previous
    > versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini and
    > ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the
    > latest version.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I have a notebook come with Windows XP installed.I need a Windows
    2000
    >> server on the same machine as a dual boot system, so I tried to install
    > Win
    >> 2000 server. If installation is from XP, it is impossible, as XP does not
    >> allow install a lower version. If install from start the machine with
    > Server
    >> CD, the installation is successful. I could chose to start from Server.
    > But
    >> when I chose start from XP, I got the following error:
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
    >> corrupted:
    >> Windows\system32\config\SYSTEMd start options for windows 2000 press F8.
    >> You can attempt to repair the file by start Windows 2000 setup with the
    >> original setup floppy disk or CD-Room, select 'r'at the first screen to
    >> start repair.
    >>
    >> I inserted the Server install CD, pressed 'r', it asked for chose Windows
    > or
    >> Winnt to repair. I tried both, but nothing repaired.
    >>
    >> Where is the problem? XP or hardware?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> min

    What exactly happens. What are you choosing.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23pg2wW53EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >I inserted the XP CD, pressed 'r', but still the same error when chose start
    > of XP.
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OeR2SO43EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > You already did it with 2000. Do it with XP.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to repair the
    >> boot files with XP?
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OD3iLX03EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all
    > previous
    >> versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini and
    >> ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the
    >> latest version.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, I have a notebook come with Windows XP installed.I need a Windows
    > 2000
    >>> server on the same machine as a dual boot system, so I tried to install
    >> Win
    >>> 2000 server. If installation is from XP, it is impossible, as XP does not
    >>> allow install a lower version. If install from start the machine with
    >> Server
    >>> CD, the installation is successful. I could chose to start from Server.
    >> But
    >>> when I chose start from XP, I got the following error:
    >>>
    >>> Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
    >>> corrupted:
    >>> Windows\system32\config\SYSTEMd start options for windows 2000 press F8.
    >>> You can attempt to repair the file by start Windows 2000 setup with the
    >>> original setup floppy disk or CD-Room, select 'r'at the first screen to
    >>> start repair.
    >>>
    >>> I inserted the Server install CD, pressed 'r', it asked for chose Windows
    >> or
    >>> Winnt to repair. I tried both, but nothing repaired.
    >>>
    >>> Where is the problem? XP or hardware?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> min

    I inserted the XP CD and boot from it. After the system CD finished loading
    or checking, a blue screen with 3 choices: Install, Repair, Quit.
    I selected repair, then it asked me to selected from two options:
    1.C: /Windows
    2. D:/Winnt

    I typed 1, hit Enter key. then I saw:
    >C:\Windows\

    I don't know if it is the end of the repair. I tried to start again, but the
    same error.

    If insert the Server CD, the same as above.

    "David Candy" <.> ???? news:eYMRXd53EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    What exactly happens. What are you choosing.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I inserted the XP CD, pressed 'r', but still the same error when chose
    start
    > of XP.
    >
    > "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OeR2SO43EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > You already did it with 2000. Do it with XP.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to repair the
    >> boot files with XP?
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OD3iLX03EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all
    > previous
    >> versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini
    and
    >> ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the
    >> latest version.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, I have a notebook come with Windows XP installed.I need a Windows
    > 2000
    >>> server on the same machine as a dual boot system, so I tried to install
    >> Win
    >>> 2000 server. If installation is from XP, it is impossible, as XP does
    not
    >>> allow install a lower version. If install from start the machine with
    >> Server
    >>> CD, the installation is successful. I could chose to start from Server.
    >> But
    >>> when I chose start from XP, I got the following error:
    >>>
    >>> Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
    >>> corrupted:
    >>> Windows\system32\config\SYSTEMd start options for windows 2000 press F8.
    >>> You can attempt to repair the file by start Windows 2000 setup with the
    >>> original setup floppy disk or CD-Room, select 'r'at the first screen to
    >>> start repair.
    >>>
    >>> I inserted the Server install CD, pressed 'r', it asked for chose
    Windows
    >> or
    >>> Winnt to repair. I tried both, but nothing repaired.
    >>>
    >>> Where is the problem? XP or hardware?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> min

    Don't choose R there. You'll be asked again to repair after you select the installation during a GUI part.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Ot1vXm53EHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >I inserted the XP CD and boot from it. After the system CD finished loading
    > or checking, a blue screen with 3 choices: Install, Repair, Quit.
    > I selected repair, then it asked me to selected from two options:
    > 1.C: /Windows
    > 2. D:/Winnt
    >
    > I typed 1, hit Enter key. then I saw:
    >>C:\Windows\
    >
    > I don't know if it is the end of the repair. I tried to start again, but the
    > same error.
    >
    > If insert the Server CD, the same as above.
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> ???? news:eYMRXd53EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > What exactly happens. What are you choosing.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I inserted the XP CD, pressed 'r', but still the same error when chose
    > start
    >> of XP.
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OeR2SO43EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> You already did it with 2000. Do it with XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to repair the
    >>> boot files with XP?
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OD3iLX03EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>> You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all
    >> previous
    >>> versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini
    > and
    >>> ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the
    >>> latest version.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> http://www.uscricket.com
    >>> "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> 2000
    >>> Win
    > not
    >>> Server
    >>> But

    > Windows
    >>> or

    So, What can I do?

    "David Candy" <.> ???? news:euRcML63EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_2k.htm

    "David Candy" <.> ???? news:euRcML63EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Don't choose R there. You'll be asked again to repair after you select the
    installation during a GUI part.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I inserted the XP CD and boot from it. After the system CD finished loading
    > or checking, a blue screen with 3 choices: Install, Repair, Quit.
    > I selected repair, then it asked me to selected from two options:
    > 1.C: /Windows
    > 2. D:/Winnt
    >
    > I typed 1, hit Enter key. then I saw:
    >>C:\Windows\
    >
    > I don't know if it is the end of the repair. I tried to start again, but
    the
    > same error.
    >
    > If insert the Server CD, the same as above.
    >

    > "David Candy" <.> ???? news:eYMRXd53EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > What exactly happens. What are you choosing.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I inserted the XP CD, pressed 'r', but still the same error when chose
    > start
    >> of XP.
    >>
    >> "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OeR2SO43EHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> You already did it with 2000. Do it with XP.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thank you for the explanation. Could you please tell me how to repair
    the
    >>> boot files with XP?
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> ???? news:OD3iLX03EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >>> You have to repair the boot files with XP. XP's boot files boot all
    >> previous
    >>> versions (and it will speed up 2000's boot a bit too). ntdlr, boot.ini
    > and
    >>> ntdetect are shared between all Windows versions so you always need the
    >>> latest version.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> http://www.uscricket.com
    >>> "Min" <caomin111@hotmail.com> wrote in message