Best Multiplayer Video Games ?

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
Can you please recomend the best multiplayer video games por PC's ???
They don't have to be the very latest games released...they can go back a few years...

I tried a few but I always get this impression of toyish games...I am looking for something that grabs you for hours and won't let go.

Thanks

Sus-penders

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Combat Mission: Afrika Korps will certainly grab you for hours. You can give the multiplayer a shot through the demo they used to offer.

Hey, it's something different! ;)

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
i'm currently enjoying the synergy HL2 coop mod.... it works really well, and there are some custom made maps as well designed for 16 people....
otherwise, the inevitable TF2, COD4 and UT3 spring to mind.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Here are my favorites: Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (completely free game), Quake Wars, COD (any COD game is good online), and Quake II which is still fun and still has people playing it.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
i agree with San Pedro, any COD game is good.

I also think that B2142 is great, BF2 is good also.

i have Quake Wars, and personally i am not a big fan of it but i say give it a try

there is also UT3.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
COD2 can not be beat at online. No shooter (except for COD1) is as fun or addicting to play. Not COD4, not TF2, not UT3, absolutely nothing. For strategy games, Civ4 is amazing to play single player and even more fun online (that will definitely absorb you for hours). Another strategy game is COH. Very fun and except for the quitters, fun to play online too.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
come to think of it, i am surprised that no one has listed the most obvious one.

in my opinion the best multiplayer game that will grab you for hours, no days is World of Warcraft

as much as people bash on it....i think its done perfectly to consume your soul along with your money

but yeah, its a good multiplayer lol

bobwya

May 21, 2005

+1 for the newer BF series. :sol:

Land mark on-line games and ones I like returning to frequently. I read a lot of bad things about BF2 and BF2142. If you don't have a decent PC then you will have problems with BF2 (it needs fast HDs to avoid long map load times and 2Gb RAM). Looking forward to BF3 unless its consolized/ over-DRM'd (I won't buy a game with limited installs).

Going back to UT2004 after BF2 makes it look very dated (despite the fact it appeared so great when it first came out).

I am having a bit of a gaming old skool session with HL2 just now (single player) from the Orange Box. I just love the engine and gameplay. I hear a lot of good things about CS:S (an update of Counter Strike with the same Source engine as HL2).

I tried TF2 but it hasn't grabbed me so far... I could be in the minority there though!!

Bob

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Call of Duty 4 and Counter Strike: Source.

Is the latest Unreal Tournament game any good online? I'm a big fan of Unreal Tournament (ever since the original came out) but I have heard bad things about the 3rd instalment.

FATAL STR1K3

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Speaking on multiplayers....

does anyone know if COD-World at War will be like COD4 online?

i feel shooters that only have good campaign get boring too quickly

im not sure if i should get it..

G

ut3 is pretty good

multiplayer sucks though... its so unbalanced... its not fun at all...

also major lag issues

pwning bots offline though is really fun... only snipers.... you can get like 200 hs in a sngle game... lol... I just broke my record and got 250 hs in a game :D

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008

Diablo II Lord of Destruction
Counter Strike: Source
Neverwinter Nights II
Team Fortress II
StarCraft

MMO's:

None.

Very best,

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Started playing STALKER SOC the other day...damn fine, pretty tricky as well.
Other than that, nothing thats not previously been mentioned.

rionaam

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I've got some games to add here:

F.E.A.R. Combat: what better than playing F.E.A.R. online, and also for free! It really grabbed me, at least till I played the full single player campaign.

Quake III: this game's a classic of MP gaming. Very good gameplay, and a great sensation of adrenaline makes this very enjoyable.

Unreal Tournament 2004: I know it looks dated for modern standards, but as I haven't played UT3 yet (my PC can't handle it) it's still a great game, at least in my opinion.

Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy: Great game, and an excellent MP experience. You can throw force powers to your foes and personalise your lightsaber. Perhaps I enjoy more the prequel: Jedi Outcast.

SWAT3: Nowadays nobody plays it anymore (or at least almost no one), but back in the good ol' days it was pretty fun to hang around with 3 more ppl and try to win a mission in co-op mode (or beat them up with paint balls! xD).