keyboard shortcuts

Hi

I am running XP pro.

I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
frequently used applications ?
Is there any such free utilities out there ?

This is probably a roundabout way,

Create a shortcut to your program on your desktop.
After it is an Icon, right click it, select properties, delete the "none" in
Shortcut key, and enter the key to use on it,
example: F7.

"funtoosh" <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am running XP pro.
>
> I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
> frequently used applications ?
> Is there any such free utilities out there ?

Assign Shortcut key

1. Locate the program file (.exe) or the program's shortcut icon.
Right-click the program file or shortcut, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Shortcut tab.

3. With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.

Note
Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
not be able to use that key combination with other programs.

If you forget the key combination for your shortcut, you can follow steps 1
& 2 and review your shortcut keys.

Shortcut tab
Lists the shortcut name, target information, and shortcut key. Allows you to
choose the way the item is displayed when you open the shortcut: in a
standard window, a full screen (maximized), or as a button on the taskbar
(minimized). Also allows you to view the shortcut's target, change the icon
for the shortcut, and open a shortcut as a different user.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:C53AE7BE-3051-4C7C-953D-B7069D345BE2@microsoft.com,
funtoosh <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi
>
> I am running XP pro.
>
> I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
> frequently used applications ?
> Is there any such free utilities out there ?

>"funtoosh" <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running XP pro.
>
>I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
>frequently used applications ?
>Is there any such free utilities out there ?

I've been using Winkey for years, first with Win98 and now with XP.
Freeware. Wouldn't be without it.
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/WinKey/3000-2344_2-913626.html?tag=lst-0-1

Hi Wes !

Thanks for response.
When I right click program's shortcut icon, I dont see shortcut tab under
properties !!!

I am confuesd.
I am using Xp- Pro SP1

bye

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Assign Shortcut key
>
> 1. Locate the program file (.exe) or the program's shortcut icon.
> Right-click the program file or shortcut, and then click Properties.
>
> 2. Click the Shortcut tab.
>
> 3. With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you
> want to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start
> with CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the
> key and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot
> use the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.
>
> Note
> Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you will
> not be able to use that key combination with other programs.
>
> If you forget the key combination for your shortcut, you can follow steps 1
> & 2 and review your shortcut keys.
>
> Shortcut tab
> Lists the shortcut name, target information, and shortcut key. Allows you to
> choose the way the item is displayed when you open the shortcut: in a
> standard window, a full screen (maximized), or as a button on the taskbar
> (minimized). Also allows you to view the shortcut's target, change the icon
> for the shortcut, and open a shortcut as a different user.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:C53AE7BE-3051-4C7C-953D-B7069D345BE2@microsoft.com,
> funtoosh <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am running XP pro.
> >
> > I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
> > frequently used applications ?
> > Is there any such free utilities out there ?

Oh ! Great. This is really helpful
But My Laptop doesnt have Windows key !!!

Would it still work ?

Thanks
"Maureen Goldman" wrote:

> >"funtoosh" <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am running XP pro.
> >
> >I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
> >frequently used applications ?
> >Is there any such free utilities out there ?
>
> I've been using Winkey for years, first with Win98 and now with XP.
> Freeware. Wouldn't be without it.
> http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/WinKey/3000-2344_2-913626.html?tag=lst-0-1

"funtoosh" <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am running XP pro.
>
> I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
> frequently used applications ?
> Is there any such free utilities out there ?

What you are describing are called macros, for more info follow the link.
http://www.ibiztips.com/tools09APR01.htm
They are easy to set up and use.

HTH
Sim

Thanks. I shall check it.

"The Continental Op" wrote:

> "funtoosh" <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I am running XP pro.
> >
> > I am wordering if It is possible to assign keyboard shortcuts to some
> > frequently used applications ?
> > Is there any such free utilities out there ?
>
> What you are describing are called macros, for more info follow the link.
> http://www.ibiztips.com/tools09APR01.htm
> They are easy to set up and use.
>
> HTH
> Sim