bill

This Xp on a dell has a d drive and I don't see what it is for ? as it
appears to have nothing in it and when I look into it I am asked if I want
to format it. What function does this drive perform? Can I use it?

It may look empty, but it may not be. Some manufacturers place the windows
xp restore applications on a 'hidden' partition. If this is the case the
actual partition hasn't been hidden at all. Try right clicking on the D:
partition and, from the drop down menu, selecting Properties. The properties
window will show you whether the drive is actually empty or not. An
alternative is to open Windows explorer and click the Tools option on the
main toolbar. From the drop down menu select 'folder options' In the folder
options window click the 'view' tab. Look for the section marked 'hidden
files and folders' then click your mouse on the radio button next to the
'show hidden files and folders' press the Apply button followed by OK. Any
hidden files should now become visible. If nothing happens go back to the
folder options and click the view tab again. Move down to the show hidden
files and folder options. Now scroll down another two option. You should see
an option marked 'hide protected operating system files (recommended).
remove the tick from the box on the left of this option. A warning will
appear, but just press OK for the time being. Click Apply button followed by
OK. If the drive holds operating system files they will all show up now. If
this is the case you 'must' not use the partition or delete it. To put
things back to normal and hide the files etc simply reverse the instructions
I've given you.
If you are at all worried you might also try Dell tech support. There is no
need to telephone them and waste money on a premium rate call, you should be
able to email your problem to them.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"bill" <wmowens@pacinfo.com> wrote in message
> This Xp on a dell has a d drive and I don't see what it is for ? as it
> appears to have nothing in it and when I look into it I am asked if I want
> to format it. What function does this drive perform? Can I use it?

John,
Dell does [or did have] have at least one hidden partition on their
computers. One of the most noticeable things that is probably contained
therein is that Dell splash screen you see upon each start up.
Gene K

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> It may look empty, but it may not be. Some manufacturers place the windows
> xp restore applications on a 'hidden' partition. If this is the case the
> actual partition hasn't been hidden at all. Try right clicking on the D:
> partition and, from the drop down menu, selecting Properties. The properties
> window will show you whether the drive is actually empty or not. An
> alternative is to open Windows explorer and click the Tools option on the
> main toolbar. From the drop down menu select 'folder options' In the folder
> options window click the 'view' tab. Look for the section marked 'hidden
> files and folders' then click your mouse on the radio button next to the
> 'show hidden files and folders' press the Apply button followed by OK. Any
> hidden files should now become visible. If nothing happens go back to the
> folder options and click the view tab again. Move down to the show hidden
> files and folder options. Now scroll down another two option. You should see
> an option marked 'hide protected operating system files (recommended).
> remove the tick from the box on the left of this option. A warning will
> appear, but just press OK for the time being. Click Apply button followed by
> OK. If the drive holds operating system files they will all show up now. If
> this is the case you 'must' not use the partition or delete it. To put
> things back to normal and hide the files etc simply reverse the instructions
> I've given you.
> If you are at all worried you might also try Dell tech support. There is no
> need to telephone them and waste money on a premium rate call, you should be
> able to email your problem to them.

Your CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD+-RW ???