mascal

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Specs :- A7N8X Deluxe 1002 bios, XP2000+, OCZ PC3500 EL 256MB

In the bios when I set memory to detect by spd it posts at 166mhz. If I try and increase beyond 180mhz the system crashes and I have to reset the cmos.

Shouldn't PC3500 be able to go beyond 200mhz even though the cpu is 133mhz ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OCZ memory? Nah, you're lucky it even post. It's overclocked PC2700 from what I hear, which would explain the SPD value.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, I've got some Geil that's like that. It'll run at 133mhz and slow timings, fairly well. Definately not the 200mhz 6-3-3 CAS2.5 that's it's "supposed" to be rated at. It's rma'ing at this moment.

I'm guessing, overclocked DDR266. Which is what I typed in the rma box.

Anyways, I got a 256meg stic of Samsung. I think it's running at 8-4-4 CAS2.5, 200mhz. It runs very well, but I'm thinking it's got just the tiniest bit of instability. It could very well still be the bios and drivers. It doesn't "crash", but I start getting glitches that are solved with a reboot. I can get 48 to 72 hours before I need to reboot.

I still call a box good if I can get 72hours uptime with NT. I don't run a server. I just play some games and burn some disks and type some text.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

mascal

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
Thanks for the help guys. I bought it because I'd heard that OCZ had sorted themselves out. Well thats the last time I buy anything from them. I'll send it back and replace with Corsair.

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Good choice. My Corsair 3200 XMS runs perfectly stable at 200mhz 3-2-2-2t and cool to the touch.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>

lbailey949

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
It's not the memory, or it could be, OCZ not very good quality, but more likely it the voltage. This board has voltage problems, thats why some people have problems and some dont. I have a bunch of the boards, and almost all of them show instability in the chipset voltage. One board will be rock solid, and I transfer the same hardware to another board, and it wont work with the same bios settings. It's gamble with these boards. Asus has been notified of this, and we await a solution.

Best Regards,
Lonnie Bailey<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lbailey949 on 02/20/03 01:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lbailey949

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2002
That is because its not the memory that is the problem in a lot of cases. People are setting their FSB jumpers, and their bios setting incorrectly. Not to mention voltage, and other issues. With this board there are to many variable to screw up your system, and then Asus had to go and change it from the earlier bios version, which really screw people up. This leads people to try and trace the problem, and screw around with their bios to the point of no return. Asus really needs to post the formula on their site for the correct settings for bus speeds. 333MHz CPU, needs 333 FSB, Memory set by PSD or 120%, to really be in sync, not 200Mhz jumper settings, which a lot of people are trying with their DDR400 mem. Your better off keeping it in sync for now, and not pushing the voltage on this board, it's a new board, with new chipset, along with a new processor if your using 333Mhz Processor such as the new AMD XP's. Not to mention new drivers, and bios! Some of us get paid to push new boards, and this is the worst scenario I have seen in awhile. It's not recomended to buy such boards until the second rev. We usuall only buy them to test, I consider first rev board to be a beta testing period. You should as well, that way you can avoid these problems

Best Regards,
Lonnie Bailey

TRENDING THREADS