Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Early iPad Reviews Give Apple Two Thumbs Up

Last response: in News comments
April 1, 2010 2:25:08 PM

"If you're looking for something a bit more detailed"

How about just something I can read on a 24" monitor? That meta review image is tiny.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:26:32 PM

here comes the haters. for me, here comes my ipad this saturday!
Score
April 1, 2010 2:33:33 PM

yea ill be happy with my evo 4g that i have money set aside for... still fits in the pocket and its my everyday cellphone
Score
April 1, 2010 2:35:32 PM

Waste of money I would say, 0No I am not hating, there is not such thing when the ipad can't even have a simple application to view videos.
it's it worth 500 dollars when you can get a nexus one for the same price of a iphone or even a notebook and netbook for the same price.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:37:18 PM

Does it matter if it's a 'good' device or if reviewers like it? Absolutely not, because people will buy it (lots of people, that is), and Apple's stock will continue to set records. In most people’s books, that’s a success (especially management and shareholders).
Score
April 1, 2010 2:37:42 PM

drksilencyea ill be happy with my evo 4g that i have money set aside for... still fits in the pocket and its my everyday cellphone

i still dont understand why people compare the ipad to a cell phone. "screw the xbox 360, i still have money set aside for a nintendo ds" different products, different uses, different people.
Score
Anonymous
April 1, 2010 2:38:35 PM

HEY, WAIT!!!

Seeing as this is April Fools day, doesn't that mean that this review means exactly the Opposite of what it's saying? Like Sponge Bob Square Pants would say, It's Opposite Day!

So wouldn't that mean that Apple actually got ""Two thumbs Down ????""

Why else would they make such an announcement on April fools day?
Score
April 1, 2010 2:41:57 PM

I have an iPod Touch and barely use it. I hate iTunes. It's a great piece of tech though.

I just don't see myself buying an iPad.
Score
Anonymous
April 1, 2010 2:43:20 PM

A brilliant April Fool's joke! You almost got me!
Score
April 1, 2010 2:43:42 PM

ipads were only sent to a select few reviewers...., translated: sent to only a select few reviewers whom we have in our pockets and are assured of giving us a good rating.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:45:11 PM

I have this feeling that if this isnt an april fools day joke these ipads (and most ereaders) will end up like hybrid or electric cars. No one wants one but due to social pressure from reviews saying "hey the ipad rocks!" people will "have to have one".
Score
Anonymous
April 1, 2010 2:46:49 PM

All fun set aside, it may be a good niche device but that's about it.
It'll sell and it'll serve it's purpose because it's very convenient. I might even get one for my wife, should the price become more reasonable.

But to me and many others it's still lacking in many features including in the multitasking arena, desired amount of power, and the fact that the battery is not user serviceable.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:46:54 PM

Think I'll check out all those reviews. Might be worth looking at them. I'm just wondering if they are skewed in Apple's favor.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:52:20 PM

I'll buy one when i can play Farmville while listening to MP3's.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:52:21 PM

Interesting coomment made by one reviewer
Quote:
There may be things it doesnot do, but what it does do it does remarkably well

As a PC user and not a huge Mac lover, I tend to agree, this device is probably fantastic at what it does do
Problem is there are so many things that an actual computer can do that when people will eventually realise are missing it will be too late

I have an extensive library of software that I regularly use for all kinds of things from editing audio files to conversion of video formats and everything inbetween. If a device will not allow me to install the software I want to use then I wont use the device.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:52:30 PM

Anyone else see the Tosh.0 episode where he gets one and tees it up like a golf ball and smashes it to pieces? He said he didn't even turn it on. Fake or not, still freaking hilarious.
Score
April 1, 2010 2:53:07 PM

90% of iPads will be bought by PC users who don't own and never will own a Mac. Just like it is with the iPod and iPhone.

why not look at what it does well and take advantage of its strengths?

This is what smart business people will do - they'll develop apps for the iPad that are really useful and fill a specific need. and make a bunch of money in the process.

Nobody likes a hater - they're worse than fanboys.

Edited to remove pointlessly provocative comments. Mod.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:02:38 PM

ericburnby...Nobody likes a hater - they're worse than fanboys.

And here you are hating on the haters. How does that make you any better?

The fact of the matter is that the iFad was never designed to be a product for techies. It's designed to be a super simple computing device for people who think computers are too complicated. And in that regard it's brilliant. It will also appeal to first-adopters and people who just have to have the newest Apple fad product.

Marketing geniuses -- those folks at Apple.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:08:40 PM

I, for one, am not buying an iPad. BTW, I'm not an Apple's fan. I'm waiting for the gPad (Google Pad). *haha* :D 
Score
Anonymous
April 1, 2010 3:12:45 PM

ericburnby90% of iPads will be bought by PC users who don't own and never will own a Mac. Just like it is with the iPod and iPhone.I laugh at all the idiots here on Tom's that keep saying only fanboys will buy Apple products, when the simple fact is that Mac owners (Apple fanboys) make up less than 10% of sales of iAnything.Here's a thought: Instead of whining about what the iPad doesn't have, or comparing it to products it isn't designed to compete with (gee, I can't play Crysis on my iPad - IT SUCKS), why not look at what it does well and take advantage of its strengths?This is what smart business people will do - they'll develop apps for the iPad that are really useful and fill a specific need. and make a bunch of money in the process.Meanwhile the haters will sit back and keep whining the iPad is completely useless and complaing about their pathetic lives and life is so unfair blah blah blahNobody likes a hater - they're worse than fanboys.

Sounds like you are worse than any hater as you are more like a Racist as you are the one promoting the Hate with your words!

Heil Ericburnby! Is that what you would like to hear?

I have used both Apple and PC products and it don't matter to me. I just prefer PC's more than Apple, that's all there is too it and there is no hate involved. I'm indifferent to whether a device is Apple or PC.

It just so happens that the iPad does not meet my needs and most probably never will. My wife on the other hand would be satisfied with one.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:16:17 PM

hey ericburnby, please point out once where anybody has ever said "only apple fanboys will buy apple products. Contrary to what you think, we're not idiots, and we realize that ipods hold a majority share of the mp3 market, so clearly the mac owning minority is not buying all of them.

And how can we comment on what it does well when nobody but a select few reviewers can say anything. We're speculating. For example, I myself said I thought it would have a weakness in what it's supposed to do well owing to a back lit screen. Low and behold, the new york times article confirmed my suspicion. He admitted that when used in sunlight, the display is hard to see. I would say limited visibility on a portable media device, especially one meant to be used to read, is a pretty big failing. Of course Apple could be assuming its target market never goes outside, to which at that point if it were true, I would say the ipad owners are the pathetic ones, outside is nice.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:16:38 PM

Did anybody see the "Modern Family" TV show last night? Their show was centered around the iPad. One of the characters' birthday fell on the release day for the iPad. He wanted one and wanted his wife to get up at 5AM and stand in line to buy one. Then the rest of the episode he was depressed that it was a bad birthday, nobody appreciated him because he didn't get an iPad for his birthday.

I want one myself, but the killer is that I'd have to get a Mac and an iPhone to go with it so I could write apps for it, so that's over $1500.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:23:26 PM

spoofedpacket"If you're looking for something a bit more detailed" How about just something I can read on a 24" monitor? That meta review image is tiny.

I am using Firefox. Ctrl-scrollwheel zooms in and out (as well as Ctrl+ and Ctrl-)
Score
April 1, 2010 3:25:55 PM

People that bought early are naturally going to defend their purchases. Nobody's going to be the first to come out and say, Damn I just wasted a lot of money. I could have bought a full blown Laptop with a bigger screen, bigger hard drive, ram, a real OS and a keyboard. OR...saved some money by buying a Netbook.
Score
Anonymous
April 1, 2010 3:28:27 PM

"stradric
The fact of the matter is that the iFad was never designed to be a product for techies. It's designed to be a super simple computing device for people who think computers are too complicated. And in that regard it's brilliant. It will also appeal to first-adopters and people who just have to have the newest Apple fad product."

.... so your saying apple products are made for, pardon the phrase, tech retards..... with maybe a bit too much money then common sense.....

apple products are not for first adopters, if that were the case it would mean the iPod was the first ever MP3 player, if they were truly first adopters they would have brought a creative zen (which was on the market far longer then iPod just never had the same level of success), what apple products allow for is mass market Adoption of an already established technology, the only real innovation apple performs is on the marketing side.... and they really do excel at that
Score
April 1, 2010 3:36:29 PM

I'm shocked that the reviewers are giving the iPad two thumbs up... I mean, they were giving the iPad two thumbs up before they even used it... or saw it... or it was even announced.... Why would the actual product change that?
Score
Anonymous
April 1, 2010 3:37:43 PM

"cadder
..... I'd have to get a Mac and an iPhone to go with it so I could write apps for it"

feeling a little lucky are we, getting apps approved is like roulette, by the time you written your code and (if) you gotten it approved you probably forgot what the app was for in the first place, the vast majority of people who buy an iPad will use it to surf (flashless) websites and maybe read a book or two.... would i pay 500 odd for a device that did that....
Score
April 1, 2010 3:38:44 PM

Better reviews than I thought it would get but these reviewers were carefully selected by Apple so you have to take their opinions with a grain of salt. They were selected for a reason.

Personally not going to pick one up unless I find it super cheap on craigslist. I may eventually own an iPad but not unless it has multi-tasking, HTML5 has huge penetration (or flash), and a front facing camera for web chatting.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:39:45 PM

djtronikai still dont understand why people compare the ipad to a cell phone. "screw the xbox 360, i still have money set aside for a nintendo ds" different products, different uses, different people.

The reason people do this is because the iPad is basically a giant iPod Touch, which is an iPhone without the phone. That said, it's not that bad a comparison.

As for the whole e-reader business... I can see that as resulting only in one thing: Eye strain.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:39:56 PM

ericburnbyMeanwhile the haters will sit back and keep whining the iPad is completely useless and complaing about their pathetic lives and life is so unfair blah blah blah

It isn't completely useless, that is a blatant dig at legitimate observations of the devices limitations.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:43:32 PM

tinmannPeople that bought early are naturally going to defend their purchases. Nobody's going to be the first to come out and say, Damn I just wasted a lot of money. I could have bought a full blown Laptop with a bigger screen, bigger hard drive, ram, a real OS and a keyboard. OR...saved some money by buying a Netbook.

I didn't defend my purchase of an iPod...after about a week I confessed that I was extremely disappointed, and I did in fact jump on the Apple fad train. I also made the solemn vow to never again be taken in by Apples marketing machine. Lesson learned the hard way, but lesson learned. If only all people could admit as much..."I am sorry, I was gullible, but I learned my lesson!"
Score
April 1, 2010 3:43:36 PM

I am a PC user, but do own an iPhone. Granted it is no replacement for the PC, but it does do some things well.

(1) it has a VPN client that hooks well to my ddwrt enabled router.
(2) it has a TS client that allows me to hook into my server and check on things.
(3) webbrowser, barcode scanner and navicon GPS to replace my garmin

I consider these some nice things to be able to access just by reaching in my pocket for my iPhone.

I don't know that the iPad will suit my needs (I have an m11x), but the iPhone sure does. I would probably get it if I could just pay one price, but unfortunately, I would have to pay another recurring monthly data plan for this to be of any use to me. Not worth it. At least with my alienware (once I get a gobi or bluetooth tethering), I can use my existing data plan.

If there were some way I could use my same iPhone data plan with this, then it might be worth something.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:44:34 PM

I'm reserving judgment on the iPad until I see one for myself. I will neither bash nor blindly support an apple product. What really bugs me though is how much attention their products get in a seaming vacuum. (All due credit to Jobs for that). The iPad should not be reviewed in a vacuum. It should be compared to similar products. And yes, there are similar products. Compare it to other tablets. Compare it to smart phones. Compare it to netbooks. Seriously, it is a cool looking device. But what can it actually DO that a netbook or a windows or android tablet can't? If I can't put it my pocket, then I have to carry it in a bad. And if I have to carry a bag, then the form factor of the device is less relevant.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:54:10 PM

cadderDid anybody see the "Modern Family" TV show last night? Their show was centered around the iPad. One of the characters' birthday fell on the release day for the iPad. He wanted one and wanted his wife to get up at 5AM and stand in line to buy one. Then the rest of the episode he was depressed that it was a bad birthday, nobody appreciated him because he didn't get an iPad for his birthday.I want one myself, but the killer is that I'd have to get a Mac and an iPhone to go with it so I could write apps for it, so that's over $1500.

No. Just get a VMWare image running OSX if you want to develop apps for it.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:58:03 PM

I've always wondered why the iPad has a background photo, but my iPhone can't change it.
Score
April 1, 2010 3:59:07 PM

hoof_heartedI am a PC user, but do own an iPhone. Granted it is no replacement for the PC, but it does do some things well.(1) it has a VPN client that hooks well to my ddwrt enabled router.(2) it has a TS client that allows me to hook into my server and check on things.(3) webbrowser, barcode scanner and navicon GPS to replace my garmin

There are MANY phones that do these exact same things. My biggest gripe is that most iPhone owners/users did not shop around at all and compare products. I have a Nokia 5800XM running Symbian 9.4 on it that does ALL of the things you listed. (I run Tomato firmware w/ OpenVPN rather than dd-wrt, though). At the time I got my phone, it was the best deal based on features and being $200 unlocked with no contract.
Score
April 1, 2010 4:28:39 PM

smlong426There are MANY phones that do these exact same things. My biggest gripe is that most iPhone owners/users did not shop around at all and compare products. I have a Nokia 5800XM running Symbian 9.4 on it that does ALL of the things you listed. (I run Tomato firmware w/ OpenVPN rather than dd-wrt, though). At the time I got my phone, it was the best deal based on features and being $200 unlocked with no contract.

I actually tried the Verizon iPhone competitor before going with iPhone (I don't really like AT&T, plus the ATT dataplan was $30 instead of $20). Once I got their phone, there was no apps I could easily find to do these things. Plus I had to pay extra recurring fees in order to use the GPS or email (nickel and dime me to death). After a couple of weeks with that phone, I turned it in and caved to go with ATT. This was a couple of years ago too. Once my contract is up with ATT, I am going to check the competition (Maybe a droid or even that Nokia you mentioned)
Score
April 1, 2010 4:59:10 PM

Back to the subject, the iPad?
I'm sure there are hundreds of other threads for a swinging-dicks competition about who's phone is the best
Score
April 1, 2010 5:03:15 PM

I'm sorry but tablets are a failed market. You really couldn't have thought of anything better Apple? Plus, what is up with all the touch things these days? The keyboard and controller are not out of style.
Score
April 1, 2010 5:05:18 PM

Please excuse me while I completely ignore WSJ and BB's "Apple can never do anything wrong, EVAR" reviews.
Score
Anonymous
April 1, 2010 5:08:36 PM

This device does not fit my life style. Maybe if I was on my period would it be useful.
Score
April 1, 2010 5:14:36 PM

back_by_demandInteresting coomment made by one reviewerAs a PC user and not a huge Mac lover, I tend to agree, this device is probably fantastic at what it does doProblem is there are so many things that an actual computer can do that when people will eventually realise are missing it will be too lateI have an extensive library of software that I regularly use for all kinds of things from editing audio files to conversion of video formats and everything inbetween. If a device will not allow me to install the software I want to use then I wont use the device.

This is the problem. You want it to be a computer, it's not and Tablets won't be for a long time. They simply don't have the resources to run a FULL OS well and forget booting it (iPad doesn't need to boot.) The iPad is not a computer and was never marketed as one. It's a table that does many things a computer does (all the iWorks for word processing, spreadsheets etc.) but not all of them. Your simply expecting something that won't happen and legitimately hasn't happened yet.

Sure you can put Win7 on a tablet, but it's awful. All this full OS is jammed on a <10" screen and it's not user friendly at all because its meant for a mouse/touchpad and keyboard. Apple has done great in this respect, they have turned normal products and ideas into user friendly devices, not that they maintain all the same features, but they do away with a lot of the clutter that comes with Windows/generic products.

The main point here is that you're asking for something that doesn't exist. A full computer thats ~9x6" (I don't know the true dimensions) and .5" thick? That will not happen for a long time. When was the last time you just sat down in a park and started to edit video and audio? Probably not very often at all (forgetting all other lighting issues) it's just not something you would do. If you did something like this then you would own a laptop and of course you wouldn't care about an iPad, but stop trying to get apple juice by squeezing an orange. It doesn't help at all.
Score
April 1, 2010 5:36:16 PM

brendano257This is the problem. You want it to be a computer, it's not and Tablets won't be for a long time. They simply don't have the resources to run a FULL OS well and forget booting it (iPad doesn't need to boot.) The iPad is not a computer and was never marketed as one. It's a table that does many things a computer does (all the iWorks for word processing, spreadsheets etc.) but not all of them. Your simply expecting something that won't happen and legitimately hasn't happened yet. Sure you can put Win7 on a tablet, but it's awful. All this full OS is jammed on a <10" screen and it's not user friendly at all because its meant for a mouse/touchpad and keyboard. Apple has done great in this respect, they have turned normal products and ideas into user friendly devices, not that they maintain all the same features, but they do away with a lot of the clutter that comes with Windows/generic products.The main point here is that you're asking for something that doesn't exist. A full computer thats ~9x6" (I don't know the true dimensions) and .5" thick? That will not happen for a long time. When was the last time you just sat down in a park and started to edit video and audio? Probably not very often at all (forgetting all other lighting issues) it's just not something you would do. If you did something like this then you would own a laptop and of course you wouldn't care about an iPad, but stop trying to get apple juice but squeezing an orange. It doesn't help at all.

Tablets with full OS's have existed for 10 years, OK maybe they aren't 0.5 inch thick or have 10 hoyrs battery but thats the point isnt it.
What we are talking here isnt for it to be a computer but at the very least it should have the ability to work with files from your computer without having to go through conversion.
The MS Word files that get pushed to it are converted to a proprietary format before being pushed back and converted back to MS Word (See the full review from Tom Gideon for this)
Similarly, I have almost 2000 hours of video files in AVI format, some of which are admittedly torrented TV shows, but others are home movies from camcorders or things done for work. I cannot simply transfer these to the iPad and watch, I can only import from iTunesand that does not like AVI's, the frustration will be palpable that people cannot watch their pre-owned content and are railroaded into having all video content purchased from the iTunes store.
I dont want to convert my MS Word files, edit and convert back, what I want is to install MS Office or Open Office and work on it directly thank you very much.

So bully to Apple for giving us a device that is shiny and thin, but lacks real functionality.
They may say "well, its not meant to be a real computer" - congratulations then, thats exactly what it is, or in this case, isn't.
Score
April 1, 2010 5:41:39 PM

spoofedpacket"If you're looking for something a bit more detailed" How about just something I can read on a 24" monitor? That meta review image is tiny.

Did you try clicking on the image...
Score
April 1, 2010 5:49:03 PM

Well, you know you're into some wacky Apple indoctrination sh*t when Dan "Fake Steve Jobs" Lyons writes an iPad review that says it's going to change computing as we know it forever, and it's NOT an April Fool's joke.
Score
April 1, 2010 5:54:13 PM

Ipad gets fantastic reviews!!! April Fool's!
Score
April 1, 2010 6:51:36 PM

Mmm, commets here show that people that haven't use an apple computer or an iPhone are just hating on the ipad. I don't consider myself an apple fanboy since I couldn't live without my windows computer and my 5870, but I personally think this product fits perfect por people that have a kindle or want one..
Why would you want a kindle that can read books and go to wikipedia, when you can see movie and surf the Internet on a similar device, this is not a laptop replacement clearly or netbook, have you ever tried to read a book from your computer??.. It doesn't feel right at all..
But well that's the beauty of it.. You don't like go buy a JooJoo lol
Score
April 1, 2010 7:01:17 PM

rf88he102Mmm, commets here show that people that haven't use an apple computer or an iPhone are just hating on the ipad. I don't consider myself an apple fanboy since I couldn't live without my windows computer and my 5870, but I personally think this product fits perfect por people that have a kindle or want one..Why would you want a kindle that can read books and go to wikipedia, when you can see movie and surf the Internet on a similar device, this is not a laptop replacement clearly or netbook, have you ever tried to read a book from your computer??.. It doesn't feel right at all..But well that's the beauty of it.. You don't like go buy a JooJoo lol

I've used Apple products. They're extremely restrictive and overpriced for the amount of computing value they have. I do not plan to purchase the iPod Touch XL coming out now nor the iPhone XL they are releasing later on.

The best pad I've seen so far was the one announced targeted for educational use with the base price estimate of $99 that had pretty much the power the iPad has at a much more reasonable price point.
Score
April 1, 2010 7:07:27 PM

Biased reviews. I bet they were rewarded with iPads and a kiss in the a$$.
Score
!