New Computer: Components work well together?

Jezebel

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buying the computer with the following specs, I wanted to know if you guys could tell me if the components (motherboard, etc) work well with the other parts.. I don't know that much of computers and I'm afraid I might have picked a motherboard that wouldn't support the graphics card or the cpu... or take a power supply with not enough power to support the rest... I'm looking to use the computer mostly for gaming and financial computations for work... but really mostly for gaming :) I have a relatively limited budget and would manage to get this computer for around 900$ + shipping.. What do you guys think?

Thank you very much in advance for your time..
It is very appreciated..

Specs:
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz Wolfdale 6MB 1333FSB 45nm
CPU Cooling OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler-MIR
Overclock Enable Overclock Function
Memory 1 Kingston 2GB DDR2 800 (KVR800D2N5/2G)
Memory 2 Kingston 2GB DDR2 800 (KVR800D2N5/2G)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L (Video,2DDR2-800,1333FSB,LAN)
Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 320GB 7200RPM 16MB SATA II (WD3200AAKS)
Optical Drive 1 LG 22X GH22NS30 DVD+/-RW DL SATA Drive (Black)
Video Palit Radeon HD 4870 512MB DDR5
Audio Onboard Audio
Network Card Onboard Network Card
Case Cooler Master CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case
Power Supply OCZ 600 Watt StealthXStream (OCZ600SXS)-MIR
Warranty 1 Year Parts & 3 Years Labor Warranty

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Mobo is probably the weak point, i dont know that much about it but im sure sticking a top of the range GPU in a cheapy mobo will have its drawbacks so i'd suggest asking that question in the New Build section.

Only thing i can spot is the lack of memory slots (only 2) so for future proofing purposes you will lack.
Palit GPU....not the greatest brand i believe, for that kind of money perhaps its safer to go with a more reputable manufacturer.

Otherwise, looking damn beastly ;)

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
if you want to overclock make sure your memory can handle the faster fbs or that you can downclock the ram a bit (1:1 mode is the best though)

pr2thej might have a point on the gpu, could always get one from gigabyte, and get the 1gig version, about same price as the 512meg version.

the motherboard is quite decent, just make sure to buy enough ram to suit your needs since upgrading is out unless you ditch the old modules.

Vista64 if you want 4gb+ ram

psu is a good choice, they make some good stuff :)