confused about mstery account

All of a sudden after installing a new printer, I have a new user account
asp.net. I have no idea where it came from. My welcome screen never came up
before, but now it does and it has two user account, mine and guest. After I
log on and go into user accounts there is the mystery one there also, making
3. I am so confused as to what has happened. I am running Windows XP and I
have not loaded the SP2. It is the home edition. Any help would be greatly
appreciated as I am not too keen on all of this computer stuff.
Thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about confused mstery account

    Sue;
    Actually that account appeared after an update you performed for .Net
    Framework:
    http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

    If you want to get rid of the welcome screen so the computer boots right to
    the Desktop:
    Start/Run
    Type "control userpasswords2" ENTER
    Uncheck "Users must enter..."
    Click OK, follow prompts and reboot.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All of a sudden after installing a new printer, I have a new user account
    > asp.net. I have no idea where it came from. My welcome screen never came
    > up
    > before, but now it does and it has two user account, mine and guest.
    > After I
    > log on and go into user accounts there is the mystery one there also,
    > making
    > 3. I am so confused as to what has happened. I am running Windows XP and
    > have not loaded the SP2. It is the home edition. Any help would be
    > greatly
    > appreciated as I am not too keen on all of this computer stuff.
    > Thanks!

    And what would life be without a little mystery?

    Here's the story: Microsoft has a grand vision for the future of the
    Internet. The Company has already started work toward making their vision a
    reality. The vision has a name: It's called "Dot Net" or ".Net".

    It's a grand vision, and who knows what will become of it. For now, .Net has
    produced some software tools that many programmers really like. More and
    more applications are being written that use these cool new programming
    tools.

    In order for you and me to use a program that has been built using .Net
    tools, we have to install something called the ".Net Framework." It's
    available from Windows Update. However, since the .Net Framework is needed
    to use a program that's been written with these tools, the program
    automatically installs the .Net Framework for you. How nice. You're supposed
    to be told that this is happening.

    When the .Net Framework is installed, it creates a new user account called
    asp.net. Only, it's not a real user account. It's only useful to software
    programmers.

    So here's what to do: The best thing to do is to just leave asp.net alone.
    It's not doing anything bad to your computer. But if looking at it really
    bugs you, simply delete the user account, from Control Panel. If you ever
    want to get it back, you'll find instructions on the Internet for how to do
    so.

    ..Net has nothing to do with the guest account. You created that one
    yourself.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All of a sudden after installing a new printer, I have a new user account
    > asp.net. I have no idea where it came from. My welcome screen never came
    > up
    > before, but now it does and it has two user account, mine and guest.
    > After I
    > log on and go into user accounts there is the mystery one there also,
    > making
    > 3. I am so confused as to what has happened. I am running Windows XP and
    > have not loaded the SP2. It is the home edition. Any help would be
    > greatly
    > appreciated as I am not too keen on all of this computer stuff.
    > Thanks!

    Ted, Thank You so much for making it so clear as to what the asp.net is. Now
    I can astop worrying about someone from that account doing something to my
    computer and messing it up. Again, Thank You!!!!

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > And what would life be without a little mystery?
    >
    > Here's the story: Microsoft has a grand vision for the future of the
    > Internet. The Company has already started work toward making their vision a
    > reality. The vision has a name: It's called "Dot Net" or ".Net".
    >
    > It's a grand vision, and who knows what will become of it. For now, .Net has
    > produced some software tools that many programmers really like. More and
    > more applications are being written that use these cool new programming
    > tools.
    >
    > In order for you and me to use a program that has been built using .Net
    > tools, we have to install something called the ".Net Framework." It's
    > available from Windows Update. However, since the .Net Framework is needed
    > to use a program that's been written with these tools, the program
    > automatically installs the .Net Framework for you. How nice. You're supposed
    > to be told that this is happening.
    >
    > When the .Net Framework is installed, it creates a new user account called
    > asp.net. Only, it's not a real user account. It's only useful to software
    > programmers.
    >
    > So here's what to do: The best thing to do is to just leave asp.net alone.
    > It's not doing anything bad to your computer. But if looking at it really
    > bugs you, simply delete the user account, from Control Panel. If you ever
    > want to get it back, you'll find instructions on the Internet for how to do
    > so.
    >
    > ..Net has nothing to do with the guest account. You created that one
    > yourself.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All of a sudden after installing a new printer, I have a new user account
    > > asp.net. I have no idea where it came from. My welcome screen never came
    > > up
    > > before, but now it does and it has two user account, mine and guest.
    > > After I
    > > log on and go into user accounts there is the mystery one there also,
    > > making
    > > 3. I am so confused as to what has happened. I am running Windows XP and
    > > have not loaded the SP2. It is the home edition. Any help would be
    > > greatly
    > > appreciated as I am not too keen on all of this computer stuff.
    > > Thanks!

    to both Jupiter and Ron, If I do stop the welcome screeb from loading at the
    beginning will I have to use a password to get in? I never created one, will
    it start right up to my desktop again?

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

    > Sue;
    > Actually that account appeared after an update you performed for .Net
    > Framework:
    > http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
    >
    > If you want to get rid of the welcome screen so the computer boots right to
    > the Desktop:
    > Start/Run
    > Type "control userpasswords2" ENTER
    > Uncheck "Users must enter..."
    > Click OK, follow prompts and reboot.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All of a sudden after installing a new printer, I have a new user account
    > > asp.net. I have no idea where it came from. My welcome screen never came
    > > up
    > > before, but now it does and it has two user account, mine and guest.
    > > After I
    > > log on and go into user accounts there is the mystery one there also,
    > > making
    > > 3. I am so confused as to what has happened. I am running Windows XP and
    > > have not loaded the SP2. It is the home edition. Any help would be
    > > greatly
    > > appreciated as I am not too keen on all of this computer stuff.
    > > Thanks!

    My pleasure.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

> [...]
    > > yourself.
    > >
    > > Ted Zieglar
    > >

    > > "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > All of a sudden after installing a new printer, I have a new user
    account
    > > > asp.net. I have no idea where it came from. My welcome screen never
    came
    > > > up
    > > > before, but now it does and it has two user account, mine and guest.
    > > > After I
    > > > log on and go into user accounts there is the mystery one there also,
    > > > making
    > > > 3. I am so confused as to what has happened. I am running Windows XP
    and
    > > > have not loaded the SP2. It is the home edition. Any help would be
    > > > greatly
    > > > appreciated as I am not too keen on all of this computer stuff.

    Sue;
    If you follow the steps in my last post for the welcome screen, the computer
    will boot directly to the Desktop once you power on.
    There will be no need to enter a password or anything else for that matter.

    --

    > to both Jupiter and Ron, If I do stop the welcome screeb from loading at
    > the
    > beginning will I have to use a password to get in? I never created one,
    > will
    > it start right up to my desktop again?
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Sue;
    >> Actually that account appeared after an update you performed for .Net
    >> Framework:
    >> http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php
    >>
    >> If you want to get rid of the welcome screen so the computer boots right
    >> the Desktop:
    >> Start/Run
    >> Type "control userpasswords2" ENTER
    >> Uncheck "Users must enter..."
    >> Click OK, follow prompts and reboot.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "Sue" <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > All of a sudden after installing a new printer, I have a new user
    >> > account
    >> > asp.net. I have no idea where it came from. My welcome screen never
    >> > came
    >> > up
    >> > before, but now it does and it has two user account, mine and guest.
    >> > After I
    >> > log on and go into user accounts there is the mystery one there also,
    >> > making
    >> > 3. I am so confused as to what has happened. I am running Windows XP
    >> > and
    >> > have not loaded the SP2. It is the home edition. Any help would be
    >> > greatly
    >> > appreciated as I am not too keen on all of this computer stuff.
    >> > Thanks!

Windows XP