infection via .avi file

I didnt get any response to this message when I posted it to "General" group.
I post it again to this group hoping for expert comments.
Hi

I am running XP pro.
I am wondering if my system can get infected with virus or spyware if I run
some .avi file in WMP ? I downloaded .avi file from internet.

Is it technically possible ?

Thanks
funtoosh

funtoosh wrote:
> I didnt get any response to this message when I posted it to
> "General" group. I post it again to this group hoping for expert
> comments. ---------------------------------------------------
>
> I am running XP pro.
> I am wondering if my system can get infected with virus or spyware if
> I run some .avi file in WMP ? I downloaded .avi file from internet.
>
> Is it technically possible ?

Yes.

If there exists (in your media player) some inherent flaw that allows the
AVI to execute an external command.

--
<- Shenan ->

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:15:04 -0800, "funtoosh"
<funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Though an image can carry the binary code of any virus, it needs to be capable
of running the code to damage your machine. Images/multimedia are run by
external programs that only display the information contained in the file. If
the images contained virus code, what you'd probably see is a section of the
avi,mpg,jpg etc.. that looks out of place or actually screws up the player [not
in correct format etc.. error codes].

images are stagnant files that just take up space on your hard drive until you
open them with the correct program to display them.

Doesn't mean there isn't a malicious program that could extract the virus code
from an image and build a virus program and execute the newly made program, but
we're talking international intrigue and 007 to go to those lengths to screw a
home PC.

>I didnt get any response to this message when I posted it to "General" group.
>I post it again to this group hoping for expert comments.
>Hi
>
>I am running XP pro.
>I am wondering if my system can get infected with virus or spyware if I run
>some .avi file in WMP ? I downloaded .avi file from internet.
>
>Is it technically possible ?
>
>Thanks
>funtoosh

Don't run the files from the web, download and scan with a
virus scanner. Be sure that you have installed all browser
and media player patches.

As everybody should know, code can be hidden in a photo
image. That is one reason SP2 now blocks some images. The
code could be a complete virus or it could be a script that
will try to download such.

Just be careful where you download your video.

"funtoosh" <funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
|I didnt get any response to this message when I posted it
to "General" group.
| I post it again to this group hoping for expert comments.
| ---------------------------------------------------
| Hi
|
| I am running XP pro.
| I am wondering if my system can get infected with virus or
spyware if I run
| some .avi file in WMP ? I downloaded .avi file from
internet.

| Is it technically possible ?
|
| Thanks
| funtoosh

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:15:04 -0800, "funtoosh"
<funtoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

A previous reply I wasn't precise enough. I said if it's an image file, and
included any type movie file mpeg, avi, swf, etc...

The etc. part was partially wrong. if you took image movie to include screen
savers with SCR extensions. These are prime programs for installing unwanted
programs on your machine.

then there's those programs with the BAS extension that can fall into the image
category also.

What you really need to do is familiarize yourself with the most common file
extensions and what each is capable of doing.
There is a web site on extensions, but probably overkill.
Plus there's way too many extensions to cover in email.

Then make sure whatever you use to open a file, knows exactly what it's
opening. Mail virus sometimes arrive with the extensions .JPG.BAS or .JPG.SCR.
hoping you won't notice it has two extensions.
You need to put blocks on all software capable of opening anything from the web
with executable extensions.