schmuckpussy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
I asked santa for a notebook, but i dont think thats gonna happen, so im planning on buying one myself. I havent read articles and tests about notebooks that much, so im not really familiar with the technologies used in them.

When i scan through price lists i see some notebooks contain 'normal' pentium 4 cpus (around 3.0ghz) and i see notebooks contain intel centrino mobile cpu's (1,5ghz).
Whats the main difference between those 2, and which one is better to use.

Im going to use the notebook basically for doing school-stuff on it, so word, excel and powerpoint. Besides that i also wanna have the possiblity to watch a movie and play a game on it. It doesnt have to be state of the art, cause thats what i got a desktop-computer for.

So can someone explain me the difference between the 2 cpus and since im not brand-loyal im open to any advice on what notebook to get

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The normal p4 cpus are just what they say they are, regular desktop cpu. The pentium m is designed for much lower power consumption for added mobility. Laptops with mobile cpus are truely mobile and have very long battery life. Laptops with desktop processors are simply portable computers they are not "mobile".
If you can afford it go for a laptop with a mobile cpu. It will be the difference between ~2hrs and ~5hrs of battery life. Being a student myself I know it is nice to have a laptop that lasts all day with out having to find an outlet. My T42 lasts about 6hrs giving me plenty of time to get things done when away from ac power.

Centrino means the laptop includes a true mobile cpu and chipset and will have an integrated intel wireless card.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
normal desktop p4 are not that common anymore in notebooks since intel introduced the mobile p4. these run at a lower voltage than the desktop versions and produce a little less heat. they are also capable of speed-stepping. One thing though is that these notebooks are quite bulky and heavy and you really shouldn't run them on your lap since it gets a bit uncomfortable.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: