Taskbar won't shrink

Quick Launch Toolbar icons on bottom left of my Taskbar are causing a double
width - i.e minimised windows and active icons refuse to sit on the same
horizontal as the toolbars

It happened when I dragged the Quick Launch area to the right, but I can't
move the drag handles back. Both handles just seem stuck - although the
Taskbar is not locked.

If I remove Quick Launch, things go back to normal until i add the toolbar
back again. Have I overlooked something simple?
--
davidc
6 answers Last reply

    Hi, David.

    Frustratin', ain't it? :>(

    I had this problem several months ago and someone here gave me the answer.
    I fixed my problem - and then forgot the answer. But since you asked, I've
    played around with my QL/Taskbar a little and have managed to create the
    problem and then fix it again. Maybe this will work for you...

    My QL Toolbar has 12 icons, but I have the right border set so that only 7
    of them show and the other 5 pop up if I click the chevrons near the right
    divider. If I drag that right divider far enough to the right for all 12
    icons to show, that forces some of my buttons for running programs off the
    right end of the Taskbar, which expands to two rows to show them all. At
    that point, I can't shrink the Taskbar to a single line. If I drag that
    right divider to the left to show just 7 icons, the last 5 move to the
    bottom line of the Taskbar. But, now I can drag the top of the Taskbar down
    to a single line again and the 5 icons move back to the pop-up menu.

    I can't fully explain it and I can't seem to make it work every time, but if
    I just keep dragging that right divider, I can eventually get it back to the
    way it should be. Why don't you just play with it for a while and see what
    you can figure out?

    Maybe whoever gave me the secret before will see this and post it again.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "davidc" <davidc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Quick Launch Toolbar icons on bottom left of my Taskbar are causing a
    > double
    > width - i.e minimised windows and active icons refuse to sit on the same
    > horizontal as the toolbars
    >
    > It happened when I dragged the Quick Launch area to the right, but I
    > can't
    > move the drag handles back. Both handles just seem stuck - although the
    > Taskbar is not locked.
    >
    > If I remove Quick Launch, things go back to normal until i add the toolbar
    > back again. Have I overlooked something simple?
    > --
    > davidc

    RC,

    Thanks, I followed your advice, played around a little and got my single row
    taskbar back although the quick launch icons were sitting to the right, next
    to the system tray.

    This got me puzzled again: I had control over the divider to the left of the
    QL but the other one just wouldn't budge. It remained in the LEFT corner of
    the taskbar next to the start menu.

    I've realised the problem begins when you drag a divider too far to the
    right. I just checked it out and i'm back to square one again - two dividers
    one above the other and a taskbar that won't shrink.

    Theoretically I should be able to drag the bottom divider to the left until
    it disappears off screen and appears again top right yeah? That's not
    happening so I've quit for today and hope the magic solution finds its way to
    this posting.
    David

    "R. C. White" wrote:

    > Hi, David.
    >
    > Frustratin', ain't it? :>(
    >
    > I had this problem several months ago and someone here gave me the answer.
    > I fixed my problem - and then forgot the answer. But since you asked, I've
    > played around with my QL/Taskbar a little and have managed to create the
    > problem and then fix it again. Maybe this will work for you...
    >
    > My QL Toolbar has 12 icons, but I have the right border set so that only 7
    > of them show and the other 5 pop up if I click the chevrons near the right
    > divider. If I drag that right divider far enough to the right for all 12
    > icons to show, that forces some of my buttons for running programs off the
    > right end of the Taskbar, which expands to two rows to show them all. At
    > that point, I can't shrink the Taskbar to a single line. If I drag that
    > right divider to the left to show just 7 icons, the last 5 move to the
    > bottom line of the Taskbar. But, now I can drag the top of the Taskbar down
    > to a single line again and the 5 icons move back to the pop-up menu.
    >
    > I can't fully explain it and I can't seem to make it work every time, but if
    > I just keep dragging that right divider, I can eventually get it back to the
    > way it should be. Why don't you just play with it for a while and see what
    > you can figure out?
    >
    > Maybe whoever gave me the secret before will see this and post it again.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "davidc" <davidc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Quick Launch Toolbar icons on bottom left of my Taskbar are causing a
    > > double
    > > width - i.e minimised windows and active icons refuse to sit on the same
    > > horizontal as the toolbars
    > >
    > > It happened when I dragged the Quick Launch area to the right, but I
    > > can't
    > > move the drag handles back. Both handles just seem stuck - although the
    > > Taskbar is not locked.
    > >
    > > If I remove Quick Launch, things go back to normal until i add the toolbar
    > > back again. Have I overlooked something simple?
    > > --
    > > davidc

    Hi, David.

    > Theoretically I should be able to drag the bottom divider to the left
    > until
    > it disappears off screen and appears again top right yeah?

    Try this: Drag the right divider for QL to the left, then drag the left
    divider for the main Taskbar to the right until it is further right than the
    QL divider. Then use the mouse to reduce the Taskbar to one line.

    RC
    --

> [...]
    >> what
    >> you can figure out?
    >>
    >> Maybe whoever gave me the secret before will see this and post it again.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "davidc" <davidc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Quick Launch Toolbar icons on bottom left of my Taskbar are causing a
    >> > double
    >> > width - i.e minimised windows and active icons refuse to sit on the
    >> > same
    >> > horizontal as the toolbars
    >> >
    >> > It happened when I dragged the Quick Launch area to the right, but I
    >> > can't
    >> > move the drag handles back. Both handles just seem stuck - although the
    >> > Taskbar is not locked.
    >> >
    >> > If I remove Quick Launch, things go back to normal until i add the
    >> > toolbar
    >> > back again. Have I overlooked something simple?

    RC,

    Thanks again for your help, I can now ruin my taskbar and restore it again!
    Those dividers act in a very strange way, as you click and drag there are
    some blind spots where you can't tell exactly where you are. Playing with
    them was good advice - I hope this posting may be useful to other frustrated
    users.

    David

    "R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> the
    > >> right end of the Taskbar, which expands to two rows to show them all. At
    > >> that point, I can't shrink the Taskbar to a single line. If I drag that
    > >> right divider to the left to show just 7 icons, the last 5 move to the
    > >> bottom line of the Taskbar. But, now I can drag the top of the Taskbar
    > >> down
    > >> to a single line again and the 5 icons move back to the pop-up menu.
    > >>
    > >> I can't fully explain it and I can't seem to make it work every time, but
    > >> if
    > >> I just keep dragging that right divider, I can eventually get it back to
    > >> the
    > >> way it should be. Why don't you just play with it for a while and see
    > >> what
    > >> you can figure out?
    > >>
    > >> Maybe whoever gave me the secret before will see this and post it again.

    Hi, David.

    > Those dividers act in a very strange way

    Agreed! ;^}

    RC
    --

    > RC,
    >
    > Thanks again for your help, I can now ruin my taskbar and restore it
    > again!
    > Those dividers act in a very strange way, as you click and drag there are
    > some blind spots where you can't tell exactly where you are. Playing with
    > them was good advice - I hope this posting may be useful to other
    > frustrated
    > users.
    >
    > David
    >
    > "R. C. White" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, David.
    >>
    >> > Theoretically I should be able to drag the bottom divider to the left
    >> > until
    >> > it disappears off screen and appears again top right yeah?
    >>
    >> Try this: Drag the right divider for QL to the left, then drag the left
    >> divider for the main Taskbar to the right until it is further right than
    >> the
    >> QL divider. Then use the mouse to reduce the Taskbar to one line.
    >>
    >> RC
    >>
    >> "davidc" <davidc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > RC,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, I followed your advice, played around a little and got my
    >> > single
    >> > row
    >> > taskbar back although the quick launch icons were sitting to the right,
    >> > next
    >> > to the system tray.
    >> >
    >> > This got me puzzled again: I had control over the divider to the left
    >> > of
    >> > the
    >> > QL but the other one just wouldn't budge. It remained in the LEFT
    >> > corner
    >> > of
    >> > the taskbar next to the start menu.
    >> >
    >> > I've realised the problem begins when you drag a divider too far to the
    >> > right. I just checked it out and i'm back to square one again - two
    >> > dividers
    >> > one above the other and a taskbar that won't shrink.
    >> >
    >> > Theoretically I should be able to drag the bottom divider to the left
    >> > until
    >> > it disappears off screen and appears again top right yeah? That's not
    >> > happening so I've quit for today and hope the magic solution finds its
    >> > way
    >> > this posting.
    >> > David

    "davidc" <davidc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > RC,
    >
    > Thanks again for your help, I can now ruin my taskbar and restore it
    > again! Those dividers act in a very strange way, as you click and
    > drag there are some blind spots where you can't tell exactly where
    > you are. Playing with them was good advice - I hope this posting may
    > be useful to other frustrated users.
    >
    > David

    I keep the QuickLaunch bar on the left side of my screen, set to Always on
    Top and Auto-Hide.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com