barvini

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
does dell make their own motherboards.
i have a dell dimension 8200 and all i can find on the motherboard is dell stamps

anyone have a clue?

I am da king

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel makes Dell's motheboards. The ones that look like standard ATX use proprietary power. If you look at Intel boards you'll notice many of them have unused solder points below the ATX connection: those are the solder points Intel uses for the Dell proprietary power supply.

I believe the 8200 doesn't even use the ATX form factor any longer.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Schryver

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2003
Crashman's right, they don't use ATX anymore. It's their own proprietary form factor so that you can't swap the board out into a different case. My friend tried to do this and, well, suffice to say he was none too happy with Dell.

barvini

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
so dell makes their own motherboards then
so cant overclock at all because i use intel pentium with locked multiply i locked FBS
this is the last dell comp in my house ever i will soon make my own then
damn dell

I am da king

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel makes Dells boards. But they use proprietary power on the ATX style boards. I hear the latest clamshell style case/mobo use a standard ATX power supply, but a proprietary board form factor.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell NEVER used ATX power supplies, at least not until recently. And the recent systems use proprietary board form factors.

The earliest ATX style Dell power supplies were found in their Pentium 1 systems. They had the ATX power plug, but wired differently.

They later changed to a two plug power supply, with a 6-pin AT style power plug and an ATX style power plug. It looks like the same power supply used in industry standard NLX form factor cases, which had an ATX connector for the board and an AT style connector for the riser card. But AHA, it isn't, the ATX part is still wired wrong. That is to say, an industry standard NLX power supply will work on an ATX system, but the Dell power supply which looks identicle...wont. Dell introduced this style power supply around the same time as their original clamshell style Optiplex systems came out, around the time of the Pentium Pro intro.

I've heard from 3 sources now that Dells latest 8800 systems use standard ATX power supplies, but I know as a fact the board is a proprietary form factor, the "ATX backplate" is longer than standard.