installing xp on a windows millenium computer

i recently installed xp home edition on a millenium computer and many
programs are working sluggisly.
--
Luimar
3 answers Last reply

    You haven't provided any details on your hardware, other installed software,
    or safe computing practices. In general, I would say that a computer old
    enough to have run Windows ME is likely to have hardware that will strain
    under the demands of Windows XP.

    You can help yourself by adding more RAM - XP works well with 512MB - and a
    faster hard disk and processor. But I think you will find that this is not
    cost effective.

    To reduce the load on your processor, you should reconsider the software you
    have running in the background, and whether you really need it. But even
    here you can only go so far, since you need to have XP-compatible antivirus
    and fireweall software running at all times, and these days you need a full
    time spyware detector as well.

    You may just have to live with the performance or buy a new computer.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Tito" <Tito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i recently installed xp home edition on a millenium computer and many
    > programs are working sluggisly.
    > --
    > Luimar

    Basically running disk-cleanup,chk all the boxes,then after run disk defrag
    should clean out alot of unneeded junk.The best way however to go from ME
    to XP is to do a clean install of xp.Simply install xp cd,restart or start
    computer,
    boot to xp cd,then select install xp,xp then reformats the hd,and installs
    auto.

    Tito wrote:
    > i recently installed xp home edition on a millenium computer and many
    > programs are working sluggisly.

    Did you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine with
    Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent hardware
    quality requirements. This is particularly true of many models in
    Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's consumer-class
    Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K before it, is quite
    sensitive to borderline defective or substandard hardware (particularly
    motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

Windows XP Millenium Microsoft Computers