My Hardcore Hero and the First Death

Last response: in Video Games
April 2, 2005 11:40:16 AM

Well that was a lot of fun getting that character to level 62.

Name: JackShythed level 62 Conviction/Fanatacism Pally

Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite Jack
having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.

lies in wait for him to continue the legacy.

The Math:

846 life at 85% Frie Resist requires damage in the amount of

846 / 15% = 5640 upon said CE death.

I do not know what the formula is for FE monster death. I know the
Necro formula. I do not know if the monster formula differs.

Despite the bug I have had SC characters in NM with far less than 846
life survive a boss FE CE, but the Ancients do have more life than most
other bosses.

I was with Bongo's Cold sorc and we were amped damaged. I knew one
ofthe ancients died but did not know if another had died. I only heard
one death yelp.

I was tanking them with the two mercs to make sure that they stayed off
of Bongo. They did hit me for heavy damage twice and I had to down 2
purples to bring myself back up.

When I approached Madawc he had little life but before I could back
away he died and I died. The good news is Jack was level 61 at the
start of the fight and he did make level 62 despite the death.

I had so much fun playing that character and was under hte impression
that when he died I would not bother making another pally of that type,
however because it was so much fun, his son JackShythedJr wants to go
out and be a hero just like his father.

Now Sam Kinison speaks:

Jack was a hero. He played the game hard and for the most part smart.
It is unfortunate that he went down when he did. But his son is going
to pick up the gear and head out.

AIN"T THAT RIGHT?! OH! OH! OH!

NOW, LET"S HEAR IT FOR JACK SR!!

OH! OH! OH!

Good day all

Orion Ryder

More about : hardcore hero death

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 5:25:30 PM

royls@telus.net wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2005 07:40:16 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite
Jack
> >having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.
>
> Now you see, to me, this kind of thing is just bogus, a flat-out
> design error in the game. Even aside from the NM FE bug, which
> apparently isn't as fixed as Blizzard claims, the whole monster
> death-bomb concept just stinks on ice. Your reward for killing
> certain high-hp monsters in HC is, you lose your char? Huh? What
> kind of stupid $#!+ is that? I know Blizzard has devoted virtually
no
> effort to making the HC game playable, let alone enjoyable, but is
> there even any point to having this boss mod in SC?
>
> In HC, FE makes most melee builds unplayably dangerous, especially if
> you don't have _both_ BO and OS from party members. Soloing a HC
> melee char past Normal is just Russian Roulette. Sooner or later
some
> XF FE boss is going to run at you at Warp 7 just as he dies, and
> delete your char. My Conc barb is my only melee char, and now that
he
> has made guardian, I don't intend ever to play another one. It's
just
> not worth the aggravation. A melee char in HC SP? Don't even think
> about it. Even if the NM FE bug weren't still in place in SP, which
> it is, it's just too risky.
>
> A boss mod that makes HC melee builds unplayable solo is a flat-out
> design error. End of story.
>
> -- Roy L

Ah, what's a little FE CE between friends? Madawc can't help Blizzard
design flaws. He has to live with them and I have to live with them, er
well hopefully anyways. Just this time I died with it.

The only distressing thing is I built Jack knowing about the FE CE and
popped on those Inferno Stride boots with the understanding that they
would help to keep me alive in NM despite the FE CE bug. I kept him
away from bosses unless I knew it was safe, but you know how intense
the Ancients battles are. Sometimes by the time you read the mods it is
too late for them or you. I did not expect to take so much damage on
the normal hits from them. It was surprising. Then when I moved into a
different screen location I saw the Amp Damage balls over our heads,
but I heard one of them die and when I approached Madawc and saw him
down to a sliver it appeared that they were going to go down. Bongo's
Blizzard packs a lot of pop. I didn't even know if the thirsd one was
alive or daed but if alive I figured a good chance that victory was
just around the corner. And it was a victory but it was a tainted one.

I am just proud of Jack and what he accomplished.

I am also happy that I was able to get him as far as I did. a year ago
the idea of playing hardcore was unspeakable. Now it is lovable. A most
excellent challenge at this stage of the game.

Well fortunately I have all the gear. Had even moved his spare
alternate items to anotehr char. Might not have moved the LEM rune that
I got earlier in the morning, but if not I'll have to live with it.

Jack Jr will get to avenge his dad's death I am sure of it. He has a
Hexfire earmarked for those Ancients.

I wish for nobody to mourn Jack's death. I only wish that everyone
celebrate his passage into the "deeds will be remembered" legacy. He
was a true hero and his legacy will live on in my mind and spirit.

Orion Ryder
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:25:04 PM

wrote:

>Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite Jack
>having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.

Now you see, to me, this kind of thing is just bogus, a flat-out
design error in the game. Even aside from the NM FE bug, which
apparently isn't as fixed as Blizzard claims, the whole monster
death-bomb concept just stinks on ice. Your reward for killing
certain high-hp monsters in HC is, you lose your char? Huh? What
kind of stupid $#!+ is that? I know Blizzard has devoted virtually no
effort to making the HC game playable, let alone enjoyable, but is
there even any point to having this boss mod in SC?

In HC, FE makes most melee builds unplayably dangerous, especially if
you don't have _both_ BO and OS from party members. Soloing a HC
melee char past Normal is just Russian Roulette. Sooner or later some
XF FE boss is going to run at you at Warp 7 just as he dies, and
delete your char. My Conc barb is my only melee char, and now that he
has made guardian, I don't intend ever to play another one. It's just
not worth the aggravation. A melee char in HC SP? Don't even think
about it. Even if the NM FE bug weren't still in place in SP, which
it is, it's just too risky.

A boss mod that makes HC melee builds unplayable solo is a flat-out
design error. End of story.

-- Roy L
Related resources
April 3, 2005 3:26:45 AM

"Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well that was a lot of fun getting that character to level 62.
>
> Name: JackShythed level 62 Conviction/Fanatacism Pally
>
> Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite Jack
> having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.

RIP Jack. You lived a bright but short life, and your deeds of valor truely
will be remembered.

> The Math:
>
> 846 life at 85% Frie Resist requires damage in the amount of
>
> 846 / 15% = 5640 upon said CE death.

NM Madwac has a base 9702-12936 life, multiplied by 3 for the 3 of us in the
game. So he had 29,106-38,808 life (33,957 average).

> I was with Bongo's Cold sorc and we were amped damaged. I knew one
> ofthe ancients died but did not know if another had died. I only heard
> one death yelp.
>
> I was tanking them with the two mercs to make sure that they stayed off
> of Bongo. They did hit me for heavy damage twice and I had to down 2
> purples to bring myself back up.

It was partly my fault. Spamming Blizzards made it tough to see what was
going on, I had a tough time seeing any of the Ancients. When your life took
a dive those two times, I tried feeding you potions as if you were a merc,
just out of habit.

> I had so much fun playing that character and was under hte impression
> that when he died I would not bother making another pally of that type,
> however because it was so much fun, his son JackShythedJr wants to go
> out and be a hero just like his father.

I was a little worried about you playing HC. But with this attitude, you'll
be just fine.

Maybe now you understand my HC motto a little better. Live fast, die young,
and leave a pretty corpse. Here's a toast to Jack, who's deeds of valor we
remember.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
April 3, 2005 3:27:01 AM

> I am just proud of Jack and what he accomplished.
>
> I am also happy that I was able to get him as far as I did. a year ago
> the idea of playing hardcore was unspeakable. Now it is lovable. A most
> excellent challenge at this stage of the game.
>
> Well fortunately I have all the gear. Had even moved his spare
> alternate items to anotehr char. Might not have moved the LEM rune that
> I got earlier in the morning, but if not I'll have to live with it.
>
> Jack Jr will get to avenge his dad's death I am sure of it. He has a
> Hexfire earmarked for those Ancients.
>
> I wish for nobody to mourn Jack's death. I only wish that everyone
> celebrate his passage into the "deeds will be remembered" legacy. He
> was a true hero and his legacy will live on in my mind and spirit.

Yeah, he'll be OK in HC. Another successful conversion over to the dark
side.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
April 3, 2005 3:27:01 AM

<royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:424eed51.5245822@news.telus.net...
> On 2 Apr 2005 07:40:16 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite Jack
>>having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.
>
> Now you see, to me, this kind of thing is just bogus, a flat-out
> design error in the game.

Here's an earth shattering revelation. I disagree with you. And so does
Blizzard. They re-examined the FE situation after 1.10 came out and they
decided to tone it down for Hell play. But they thought it was just fine for
NM and Normal. I agree, it makes for a deadly challenge, while not being
unplayable.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:27:02 AM

"Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Here's an earth shattering revelation. I disagree with you. And so does
> Blizzard. They re-examined the FE situation after 1.10 came out and they
> decided to tone it down for Hell play. But they thought it was just fine
for
> NM and Normal. I agree, it makes for a deadly challenge, while not being
> unplayable.

A NM FE boss once killed my druid with his death explosion. His life ball
was full, and my druid had over 4k life. Not unplayable, but not exactly
what I'd call "just fine" either.

> Regards-
> Mark
>
> Bongo-Fury

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:53:23 AM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:25:04 +0000, royls wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2005 07:40:16 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite Jack
>>having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.
>
> Now you see, to me, this kind of thing is just bogus, a flat-out
> design error in the game. Even aside from the NM FE bug, which
> apparently isn't as fixed as Blizzard claims, the whole monster
> death-bomb concept just stinks on ice.

I've wondered for a long, long time about Blizzard's thought
process regarding sources of monster damage. In fact, there
are lots of serious damage returned type effects:
corpse exploding (including FEs, dolls, Nithalak, etc.), iron
maiden, and the poison Cold Worm gives off when she pops.
The game would be pretty easy for twinked melee players without
the damage returned stuff. It's not the way I would design
the game, but the theme is too strong for it to be accidental.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:12:21 PM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 03:53:23 -0500, Last2Know <grokkalot@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:25:04 +0000, royls wrote:
>
>> On 2 Apr 2005 07:40:16 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite Jack
>>>having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.
>>
>> Now you see, to me, this kind of thing is just bogus, a flat-out
>> design error in the game. Even aside from the NM FE bug, which
>> apparently isn't as fixed as Blizzard claims, the whole monster
>> death-bomb concept just stinks on ice.
>
>I've wondered for a long, long time about Blizzard's thought
>process regarding sources of monster damage. In fact, there
>are lots of serious damage returned type effects:
>corpse exploding (including FEs, dolls, Nithalak, etc.), iron
>maiden, and the poison Cold Worm gives off when she pops.

And let's not forget LE and the MSLEBs in 1.09...

>The game would be pretty easy for twinked melee players without
>the damage returned stuff.

No, it wouldn't. Not in HC anyway.

>It's not the way I would design
>the game, but the theme is too strong for it to be accidental.

I agree it's not accidental. Personally, I think it's a quick and
dirty way to make the NM and Hell games harder, without needing to do
a lot of balancing.

-- Roy L
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:17:39 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 22:27:01 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>
wrote:

><royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:424eed51.5245822@news.telus.net...
>> On 2 Apr 2005 07:40:16 -0800, "Orion Ryder" <orionryder@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Cause of Death: NM Ancients FE Corpse Explosion by Madawc despite Jack
>>>having 85% Fire Resists and 846 life.
>>
>> Now you see, to me, this kind of thing is just bogus, a flat-out
>> design error in the game.
>
>Here's an earth shattering revelation. I disagree with you. And so does
>Blizzard. They re-examined the FE situation after 1.10 came out and they
>decided to tone it down for Hell play. But they thought it was just fine for
>NM and Normal. I agree, it makes for a deadly challenge, while not being
>unplayable.

OK. Put up your hands, everybody who has made a guardian with a melee
build in 1.10. Now everybody who did it on the realms, put down your
hand. Now everybody who used cheats, Atma, Open Bnet, etc., put down
your hand.

How many hands do you think are still up, Mark?

-- Roy L
April 3, 2005 3:43:48 PM

<royls@telus.net> wrote in message news:424fc256.59941705@news.telus.net...
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 22:27:01 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> OK. Put up your hands, everybody who has made a guardian with a melee
> build in 1.10.

I really don't enjoy melee characters that much. I don't think I've EVER
built a melee Guardian. I've played a few into Hell, some died, some I got
bored with. But I never quit a melee character because I though the game was
unfair to them. The whole damage returned issue raised in another post is a
good thing in my opinion. It forces the player to use varying tactics.
Instead of always just standing there and hacking away.

Regards-
Mark

Bongo-Fury
!