with ref to my last posting
the problem I now have is that whenever I boot up my com there is a time
lapse of about a minute between the loading screen for windows XP home and
the welcome screen where the screen stays black and then every thing seems
to load very slowly thats why I asked for a decent programme to check my
disc for errors.
can anybody please help

We don't know anything about your last posting because you have started a
new topic.

The very first thing you should be checking for are viruses and spyware.

Be sure that your virus scanner is using the most recent virus definitions.
You will need to scan your computer with at least two spyware scanners,
since spyware can be very elusive.

There are two types of errors that a hard disk can have: A physical error is
physical damage to the surface of the disk. This is uncommon. A logical
error is a fragment of data that used to be part of a complete file. These
are typically harmless. To check your disk for errors, open My Computer and
right-click on the disk you want to check. Select Properties, then choose
the Tools tab. Click on the Error Checking button and put a checkmark in
both selection boxes ("fix" and "repair"). Restart your computer if needed.

--
Ted Zieglar