Linksys BEFW11S4

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 26, 2004 2:21:06 PM

for the life of me. I cannot get this router to reset. I've held the button
down from 30 seconds up to 1 1/2 minutes. Unplugged it. Plugged it back in.
It will not reset. Does anyone have a suggestion (other than the trash)?

Thanks,
Greg

More about : linksys befw11s4

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2004 8:17:17 PM

"Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in news:kuadnYXFD7ftnbPcRVn-gg@arkansas.net:

> for the life of me. I cannot get this router to reset. I've held the
> button down from 30 seconds up to 1 1/2 minutes. Unplugged it. Plugged
> it back in. It will not reset. Does anyone have a suggestion (other
> than the trash)?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

If it's still under warrantee, then send it back a get another one.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 9:54:32 AM

Louie <louiethelizard@flies.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Before sending it back, leave it unplugged for a few hours, then plug it
> back in. Had a TV do the same thing. Had a power flicker and then it
> wouldn't power up. Left it unplugged overnight, plugged it in the next
> morning and it worked. I believe there may be some kind of logic circuit or
> start up cap that had to discharge. Hell, try it. Can't hurt. <bg>

I had an SMC router that went unused for over a year. When I plugged it
in, it was still configured.

The Linksys manual says hold the reset for 30 seconds. I might even turn
it on while holding the reset button. That is the specified method for
some other switches.

--
---
a b F Wireless

Greg <ghays@vc.com> wrote:
> I think I figured it out. I took a ink pen and pressed the button on the
> back as far down as possible. And that worked. I don't think simply pressing

My fingers must be fatter. I recognize that those little tiny holes act as
guards against inadvertent button presses... kind of odd for a device that
is going to be in some obscure location, and doesn't need that protection.

I was going to ask about the light pattern. On my cable modem, a press of
the reset button causes one light pattern. Holding it for five seconds
causes a different light pattern. Holding it longer than that doesn't do
anything additional. I don't know if the same change of lights occurs on
the Linksys after the 30 second hold. That seems like an unnecessarily
long time. "Yes, Yes, Yes, I _really_ want to reset, now, now, now."

Annoyingly, I've discovered some voice mail systems will respond to "*"
with "that is an invalid option", but "**********" gets a "pleas hold" and
a treansfer to an operator.

--
---
a b F Wireless

"Greg" <ghays@vc.com> wrote in news:ItWdnYkMKo0cprLcRVn-tw@arkansas.net:

> I think I figured it out. I took a ink pen and pressed the button on
> the back as far down as possible. And that worked. I don't think
> simply pressing it with my finger was providing enough pressure to
> reset it. In any case, it's reset. Now if I can just figure out how to
> simply make it an access point on a lan I will be happy. I've disabled
> the DHCP and have it a new ip address but still can't get it to access
> the web via my laptops wireless system. I can see the linksys on my
> desktop and can configure it with the web program. So it's being seen
> by our server. But still no web access. Any suggestions?

So, I guess there is another appliance with a DHCP server? If it is another
router, then you should not use the WAN port on the 11S4. You'll connect
LAN port to LAN port between devices. You should set the device IP of the
Linksys to a static IP of the other device. You'll set the working mode of
the Linksys to Router and not Gateway.

Duane :)
!