What's the majority FPS PC game right now?

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
The topic says it all really. I recently shed my addiction to WoW a few months back, and I'm looking for a First Person Shooter so I can still get some gaming in, without succuming to re-installing WoW on my computer.

My problem is, that the last FPS I played was BF2 right before I started WoW. I just need to know what's GENERALLY (I know there will be different opinions) the top couple FPS games for the PC right now. I do have a PS3, but I don't like doing FPS games on a console controler, and don't really want to try it until I get my good HDTV when I get my tax return anyway.

Computer stats are in my sig. It should be noted that I am running Windows Vista 64bit. Not because I can really take advantage of it, but because I am a computer consultant, and I did it to get to know the quirks of the OS for my clients, so please don't go too overboard about how I shouldn't use Vista. :p

Thanks!

PS. I don't know why my sig didn't update, but I'm running 4 gigs of RAM now. (4x 1GB sticks)

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Call of Duty 4 is great in both SP and MP.
CS: Source is good for MP.
BF 2 is still played by alot of people and is great as I am sure you know.

Any of those should work. My vote for just one of them would be CoD 4. World at War is right around the corner and it shaping up to be very good. Just comes down to if you would prefer modern or WWII. Both games compliment each other very well imo.

Best,

3Ball

G

CoD 4 really SP too short, and MP not balanced. Only was fun for some weeks, until I read the forums and realised: maps too small, respawn system annoying, support powers imba, leveling and achievements system isnt so fun as it looked first time.
BF2 IMO boring. maps big, lots of travel to die in an instant if not careful, few action. Also not realistic as expected. Just aiming through sights want me to to uninstall it, luckily the demo, unlike CoD4 which I rushed to buy.

The only playable FPS games online are from Valve. Currently TF2, CS:S and even DoD:S, was quite fun at the trial weekend. Left 4 Dead soon, that gotta be popular as well.
For SP Crysis is nice for the visuals, and half life episodes gameplay is so so, I guess brothers in arms 2 will be nice, though didnt try yet.

G

Also forgot.. but it doesnt allow me to edit. Says Im not logged in.
Dont bother with Far Ccry 2. Its too bugged, which isnt surprising for a FPS in open world (same as oblivion, stalker, boiling point: road to hell, etc. Unplayable). Read the forums you'll see the complains.
Maybe Fallout 2, that out this week, will change that.

You mean Fallout 3?

As for the bugs, I have FC2 and the only bugs I got were fixed with a driver update for my GPU. Other than that its doing good. Well it does randomly close after 1+ hour of gameplay but thats not that big and will probably be fixed with a patch. I also have it on Steam so the patches will be easier to get. I get 700KB/s-1MB/s download speeds from Steam servers.

As for the OP, the best FPS right now is TF2. Hell just go buy the Orange Box. It will give you HL2, HL2 EP1, HL2 EP2, Portal and TF2 for less than most of the other one game only FPS. TF2 is fun, its different and addicting. I have over 600 hours on it and am still adding up.

G

Yeah, there's nothing better than that. Also in the end if you like BF2, you can try Insurgency, hl2 mod. Maybe it will be the counter strike successor in the future :)

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
You type English very well, and yet you title your post "What's the majority FPS PC game right now?".

Screw it. Maybe I'm the one that's nuts.

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I disagree with some of the comments so far - COD4 was brilliant IMO.
Very short, indeed, but packed as much punch as some much, much longer games. Multiplayer is also fun, but i don't play a huge amount (i'm still stuck in WOW)

I enjoyed Crysis, a lot was because I was just blown away by the visuals. Game play wise I prefered COD4, but would certainly recommend it. (Haven't bought warhead yet, have been meaning to... )

FC2 arrived today… have read some great reviews, and some really poor ones… will be able to post you on my results tomorrow!! Thought I’m really very excited!

Overall though, GET COD4!!!

FC2 is good if you like a Oblivion type FPS. Freedom really. The story is there but yours to do at your own leisure. Its decent, not the best but some of the graphics are quite stunning. The lighting in it is quite amazing. The way everything reacts to the sun and the coulds actually form. If you take the time to just look up and watch them you will see them move and get bigger or smaller.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Has anything really topped UT04 yet?
Not for me it hasnt, and luckily not for a LOT of people who still play it.

Although i guess you want something that is a bit more modern eh...well i say dont go modern for moderns sake :p

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004

lol, bad choice of words I guess. No worries, I'm not a troll or anything. Born and raised in Los Angeles. :D

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
actually its dead on correct, assuming the apostraphe after What, is referring the I in is, so what is the majority FPS game, like what is the majority share in xyz

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

I haven't played UT2k4 in probably a year - but it is by far the best multiplayer shooter i've played, its sad that they couldn't reproduce that in UT3

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

Agreed here, the absolute best is TF2, and if you haven't played the other games that come with the orange box then you should most definitely get it. Also watch out for Left 4 Dead coming in 2-3 weeks, it's going to be amazing... I already preordered mine :D

I have to disagree here, I love oblivion to death and I am sure I will love Fallout 3 just as much, but I HATE Far Cry 2, it's a joke that the game carries the Far Cry name, it should be named "Grand Theft Auto: Africa - First Person Shooter Edition". The game lacks any depth or story at all, controls and overall feel is clunky, no resemblance to what Far Cry used to be. Do not buy this game, you WILL live regret it. (This comes from someone who liked GTA series, Far Cry, and most shooters overall... So one would have to guess if Ubisoft did anything right at all in FC2...)

TurinX

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
So far, I can't see why everyone hates FC2. Ok, its nothing really special, but so far am thoroughly enjoying it... It doesn't have the COD4 play till early hours of the morning feeling -
which has meant getting up for work hasn't been a nightmare :)

But, I've been waiting for a solid FPS for a while, and I think it pretty much fits the bill. Yes, review so far: Solid FPS.

darthvaderkenneth

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
well i do not regret buying it in fact i am a bit pissed that it got a lower score than crysis and crysis warhead since far cry 2 is a lot better apart from the graphics and warhead's story.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

Haha, that is how I felt...mildly entertaining at first but I have been gradually getting addicted to it. It has that addicting visual appeal that COD4 does...it is silky smooth and time of day lighting is still impressive to me. I still stay up pretty late playing it though so getting up for work still sucks for me :pfff:

I am stuck on FC2 SP right now, play a little COD4 MP but it doesn't replace BF2142 for me. When you get a good squad going in BF...ie...using mics and working as a team...it gets pretty fun.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Put me down for another vote for Team Fortress 2.

I loved CoD 4 -- I think it was the best game of the year for 2007. F.E.A.R. is a bit older but it's still one of the best FPS in recent memory.

If you're looking for stuff beyond multiplayer and straight-up military style shooters, then I humbly suggest BioShock and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. The latter title is older, but it's still one of my favorites.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Ok. First off, thanks for all the replies, they are a great help (especially since I don't get paid until Wed. 3 Nov). The way I see things unfolding so far (NOT in order of popularity)

TF2
COD4
FC2

Nothing but good things for TF2, but seeing mixed opinions about COD4 and FC2 which says to me it largely depends on the individual, but not bad games by themselves.

So does that about sum it up? I like a good MP cooperative team, thats what I loved about the BF2 and 2142.

Still haven't made a final choice yet, so if you have an opinion, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Half-Life 2 yet. In my opinion, it's the best FPS game to date.

COD4 is a great one as well, i really enjoyed the campaign.

Crysis was also good, but as stated before it's mostly due to the stunning visuals. Crysis Warhead was noticeably better in terms of story and level design. Both very enjoyable games.

Bioshock is another awesome FPS, very different then most FPSes though. It has some elements of an RPG game as well.

F.E.A.R. makes for a pretty creepy game. I enjoyed it overall, but i found the storyline very flimsy until the latter half of the game. It finishes well.

Timeshift i found to be a great game. Storyline is pretty solid, it has some good twists in it. I recommend paying very close attention to it. Gameplay is intense, very cool weapons, and utilization of the slow/stop/reverse time suit thing.

Dead Space which i'm currently playing. So far the story is immersive, bad guy killing is addictive. It also has some RPG elements in it similar to Bioshock. You can upgrade you suit and weapons. Only thing i found is the PC version has some pretty clunky controls. Mouse is sluggish even on highest settings, turn of vsync helps a lot. For a ported game it runs very well, the graphics engine is well optimized. I seems to ave. about 100+fps with my 8800gts 512mb.

Those are my recommendations, Half-Life being on the top of the list. Actually you can get Half-Life 2, episode 1 and 2, Portal, and TF2 with the Orange Box. It's about 39-49 depending where you buy for all 5 games.