Far Cry2 =crap on pc. any better on PS3,360??

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
hey everyone, its no big surprise that ubisoft BUTCHERED the Pc version of far cry 2. i played it on my friends pc and i agree that it was a huge dissapointment. Now i have a pc and a ps3, and i WAS(past tense) looking forward to this game. has anyone played this on a ps3/360 and liked it?? i f this is better on consols i might get it, but if it has the same let downs as the pc version forget it.

i know that this was a consol to pc port, so im hoping that the consol versions will be better. anyone who has played both versions or just a consol version please post. thanks

Well for one thing you are mistaken. FC2 was not a console to PC port. It was originally developed with the PC in mind. Yes they did dumb it down a bit for the consoles but thats it.

And how would a FPS be better on a console? FPS on consoles tend to just suck.

And what let you down? I have played it and I will admit its not a great game but its a good game. Freedom to do what you want when you want and how you want is not very common these days.

BTW what are your PCs specs? I have a Q6600 and a HD2900Pro 1GB and I am playing the game @ the Ultra high settings smoothly and happily. Oh and the game doesn't get fun until you get either the AS50 or Dragunov SVD sniper rifles. Then it gets really fun.

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
i apologize for that, i thought that it was a console to pc port. and crap might be a lil harsh, i could say something like huge letdown

My dislikes------

1 the damage seems to be off, if this was supposto be realistic than why does it take so many bullets to kill someone?

2 the AI seems to know where you are a little too good. like from long distances or when im behind something.

3 my friends up is pretty solid. crysis and cod4 runs smooth with no crashes or anything-----FC2 had issues with the punkbuster(on most forums people also had similar problems. they think its becuase of the 64bit os)..

4 multiplayer is weak, like super weak. its ok, but i dont think its good enough to be included in a game

5 it feels like your character moves too slow, and he does get winded quickly.

6 and you cant re assign keys, i dont like that

people on other forums and other topics here say that the blood looks like jelly. I agree but its not a big deal. gears of war had some pretty wierd lookin blood, but i liked it

****my friends setup is a dual core(i dont know what modle but he did overclock it) and either a 4850 or a 4870 i dont know the rest.

i just want to know if far cry 2 is a better experience on consoles. i m going to get it(dont know pc or ps3 yet). no doubt that they will patch the pc version, but im wondering about other peoples opinions on it

Well I wanted to know your specs but thats ok. I agree with some things but tbh its just like Oblivion. You can blow through the main story but then you miss out on a lot.

The enemy takes a few bullets yes but it depends on the gun and where you hit them. Get a AS50 sniper rifle and its a guranteed one shot kill.

I use the Dragunov SVD to take out their legs and watch their buddies try to help them then headshot them. It also is realistic in if two of them line up and you shot one the other goes down too.

You really have to play more than just an hour tbh. He does move sloe but you get used to it and I think the longer you play the longer his sprint lasts, or at least it feels that way.

The only AI who can see me, if I haven't shot yet, from a far distance is the snipers and there are a few in some places. But if you are close by and shoot with the sniper rifles two or three times they trace it by the sound. Too bad they don't have a silencer for them.

My suggestion is going to be go with the PC version. PCs may have bugs, thats because of the insane amounts of hardware they need to support, but they get fixed and sometimes consoles bugs don't. Great example is TF2 on the PS3. While the PC has gotten many fixes and updates and the 360 is going to be getting them, EA has yet to convert the patch over for the PS3 and I have heard don't plan to.

So with PC you get better support plus user made mods which are always fun. Look at Crysis for the PC. Some group is making a Jurrasic Park mod for it. PS3 wont get that.

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
sorry i forgot my specs, but i played it on my friends pc.

My specs
Q9550, saphire 4870 1GB toxic cooling, 4gb(2x2sticks)mushkin ddr2800, asus p5q pro mobo, 320 seagate baracuta, corsair 750w psu, zalman 9700 cpu cooler, thermaltake armour case, and i think thats it.

im not saying that this game isnt worth buying, but the pc version that i played had some issues that should not have been there. after all the hype and using the far cry name(still one of the best games ive ever played) and releasing a product that could have soooooooo much better. im disapointed, but as you said to play more than a hour-il get it on the pc and just hope for a patch. Thanks

Just a tip for you though since you have a ATI card, make sure you have the 8.10 drivers and when in game open the console (press ~) and type in this: gfx_maxfps 30. It will make the game smoother trust me. Some reason anything over makes it stutter a bit. But even 30FPS is very playable and great. Oh and as I said get the Dragunov SVD then go have some fun. That and a few moltovs and you are set.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I played about an hour and I didn't go in expecting to much. I did compare it to Crysis and CoD 4 and to me it just seemed like another FPS but one comment above did get me thinking.
The first real battle I was able to sneak in and pretty much play an assasin which was pretty cool. I didn't think about it much but that part did feel pretty cool and different.
I'll give it a second go after I get done with Overlord (which to me is pretty fun).
I still want to go through all the Fallouts before I play Fallout 3.
To many games...

DannyBoy27

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I feel you cuddles. Way too many games out at the moment - which is hardly a bad thing. I just cant commit the time to finish them like i used to :)

I recently purchased Fallout 1 & 2 again to try and finish them before my Fallout 3 arrives tomorrow - but sadly, the numerous crashes and bugs just did me in in the end and i left them to sit happily in my memories as some of the best rpgs i have ever had the honour of playing. They still own most games today though.

By the buy - i hate these "This game sucks balls" threads.
@ OP - dude, unless you have spend at least a day playing the game in question please dont come and regurgitate your totally crap and unsubstatiatedly objective views on a game that you havent even spent more than 30 mins. Playing. Plus - you probably just watched your friend play it and didnt get immersed.

Im actually quite enjoying it to be honest. Just cause u didnt think that it would polish your shoes or call down tactical nukes wih regards to your obviously ridiculously high expectations doesnt mean the game is a rubbish.

Thankfully - you will obviously never review games for a living and i can sleep peacefully once again.

/rant off

I love Overlord. Only played the demo but it was amusing and fun to make my minions do all my work. Loved it when they detroyed the pumpkin patch and one made a jack-o-lantern helmet. Was classic really.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I don't agree that FC2 is crap on PC. There are some annoying aspects here and there, but overall, PC version is just as good as it gets. Sure the control is bad, but not as bad to affect overall gaming experience. After I get around a bit and start to get used to it, it really becomes better the more I played.

Now the annoying part:

1. Malaria.
2. Right mouse button must be kept pressed in order to aim.
3. Too many check points and no way around them to get into mission spots, which results in too much unnecessary killings.
4. No prone.

MrKbot

Distinguished
May 21, 2008

Didnt know the 1GB 4870 Toxic's were out yet. Just asking because i'm waiting for them. Where did you buy it?

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

Don't state opinion as fact, it is annoying.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Save the Africans! :na:

The only problem I have with Far Cry 2 is its graphics - it's an affront to the Far Cry/Crysis Legacy. Ubisoft really fouled up that one. They should have gone PC only like Crytek and never bound their own hands with dumbing down for console. It should have been Crytek, as with the original Far Cry. Far Cry 2 was developed to run well on consoles firstly, Ubisoft said it themselves on a interview. Google it.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007

1. I find that too. I think a lot of it is that they figure that the enemies have body armor so it should be harder to take them down. If you walk up behind someone though and head shot them it works pretty well. It is almost impossible to do head shots though with the iron sights...that is really my main complaint...it is Run N Gun type of game...aiming is kind of pointless, you just have to open up and waste a clip on one dude. It would be nice to have some scope upgrades for the assault rifles. Even if you get the better aim upgrade in the gun shop it doesn't do much.

2. I find that too but they were like that in the first one and in Crysis. The guys in the boats in Crysis have x-ray vision and can see you behind trees. I notice they do in FC2 as well. I get shot through the trees and can't even see where it is coming from.

3. You need the Hotfix for ATI cards and you need to completely clear all of the previous drivers. I just found this out last night. In Vista I got a 20 FPS bump by cleaning out my drivers and reinstalling the hotfix. You can tell when they are working. I am actually impressed with how smooth it handles AA in Vista. Silky smooth. Haven't tried it on XP yet with a clean install but I hear it bumps up your FPS too.

I don't see how the console will make it any better. I assume there will be some sort of auto aim in place? Maybe that will make it easier to Run N Gun. I would guess that the key assignment will be fixed in a patch. It is a little strange that the exit mounted gun key is always "E" I bet a couple more video driver updates will help too.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Console won't make it better. It's just that, since it'll be comparing with other console FPS titles, the average standard is far lower. So it'll be better, relatively. :p

Bcompany

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
FARCRY 2 is absolutely rubbish. Gamplay is terrible, gunplay is laughable.

AI is superquick, has x-ray vision and world class accuracy.

You can pump 10 bullets into the enemy and they will still keep coming.

Don't drive anywhere as the enemy respawns at checkpoints in a matter of minutes.

I honestly do not know who beta tested this game, I can tell you who it wasn't - an experienced gamer. Whoever test this game and past it fit for consumption must've been drunk. Seriously - DO NOT BUY THIS.

I played it for 1 week and traded it in for Bad Company.

25 years of gaming experience.

gypsie54

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Far Cry 2 is a product of corporate America. Ie.,They used the name Far Cry even though it had nothing to do with one of the greatest games in history. When you use the machette, he swings it like a girlie man. (Jack Carver would have been embarrassed). I play PC games for a reason. I build my own rigs for a reason. I don't own a console for a reason. Ubisoft ripped me off. I will never purchase there product again. Fool me once. You won't even address the fact that you have memory leaks. 50 fps and your game stutters. That's shamful.

sheradons

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
HI THERE FOLKS,,,Just wanted to post my (((Coment)) on FARCRY 2 ,,,..Well in my experience playing the game on the PC,,,,its a joke ,,i have a core 2 duo prossesor,4 Gs of Ram,and a geforce9800GTX+ G card..the game should never have bin brought out for the pc,,,,it simply does not run properly.Evan on x64 bit windows ,,,,vista and xp,,,,the game is a load of crap,,yeaH we can walk around in our own world ,,,,(((BORING)) then as soon as something exciting happends,,,part from getting shot through walls,rocks,and from miles away,THE GAME FREEZES OR SIMPLY CRASHES TO THE DESKTOP,with no warning,,..I completed the game with Windows xp,,,Tryed the x64 Versions ,,the game wont evan run,,,then to top it off the game wont run on xp,,,,DONT KNOW WHAT THE IDIOTS WERE THINKING WHEN THAY MADE THE GAMES ENGINE,,,,anyway sh*t happends ,,,,i through the game and its case in my grans recycle bin,,,at least the rubbish men have bin given a job...lol

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008

Why do you think it is the PC version was butchered? *hint* the console versions aren't "any better".