Sign in with
Your question

Weird problem

Last response: in Windows 7
August 23, 2010 2:20:09 PM

So a few days ago I accidently unplugged my PC when it was on, 3 times. So ever since, the HDD has been freezing from time to time. THe HDD stops blinking and the PC just freezes and stays like that untill it reboots itself after a couple of mins. So I wonder if this is because of power cuts? Also. Will reinstalling windows 7 solve this HDD issue? Or is there anything else I can do?

SPEX:

core i7 920

6gb ram

gt 230 gpu

1 TB hitachi HDD

windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

More about : weird problem

a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 2:28:03 PM

Do a hardware drive scan, if the system is a brand named one, it may have a disk check utility in the BIOS. Shutting down the system this way can damage components, but it's generally the hard drive that gets it. Also the USB and other ports can fry, but that's not the issue you are having.

If you don't have a pre-boot scanner for the drive, run the built-in Windows one.
m
l
August 23, 2010 2:46:04 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Do a hardware drive scan, if the system is a brand named one, it may have a disk check utility in the BIOS. Shutting down the system this way can damage components, but it's generally the hard drive that gets it. Also the USB and other ports can fry, but that's not the issue you are having.

If you don't have a pre-boot scanner for the drive, run the built-in Windows one.

so how do I do a HDD scan? Its through the control panel right???
m
l
Related resources
August 23, 2010 3:14:25 PM

I would also check the Hitachi web site they may have free diagnostic software you can download; most HDD manufacturer's have one. The windows scanner may not be as effective.
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 3:20:40 PM

okini55 said:
so how do I do a HDD scan? Its through the control panel right???

The Windows one, fastest way to get to it is to open My Computer, right-click on the hard drive, go to Properties, and select the Tools tab.

A better one would be to go through the BIOS though if you have one in there.
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:42:45 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The Windows one, fastest way to get to it is to open My Computer, right-click on the hard drive, go to Properties, and select the Tools tab.

A better one would be to go through the BIOS though if you have one in there.

ok I checked the HDD now. With windows. So now what? SHould the problems be gone now?
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 5:47:43 PM

okini55 said:
ok I checked the HDD now. With windows. So now what? SHould the problems be gone now?

Well, that was mostly to rule out a bad drive, if you don't see any issues after you did the scan, you are set. If the issue is still there, need to check on something else. I was just going by what is usually the most common issue after a hard shutdown.
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:49:08 PM

Werll if your HDD is sound then the next thing you need to do is verify a few other things that may cause CPU lock-up resets. Heat and memory issues are often the culprits.

Suggestion - run some memory tests like Windows mem Check or Memtest and verify that your memeory is working well. Also check your heat; you can probably find some sort of ultility from your motherboard manufacturer or download something like HWmonitor.

FR
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:54:00 PM

FerrousRodent said:
Werll if your HDD is sound then the next thing you need to do is verify a few other things that may cause CPU lock-up resets. Heat and memory issues are often the culprits.

Suggestion - run some memory tests like Windows mem Check or Memtest and verify that your memeory is working well. Also check your heat; you can probably find some sort of ultility from your motherboard manufacturer or download something like HWmonitor.

FR

I got HWmonitor and there are no heat issues. Can this be a CPU problem :S I hope not ! How do I check my memory?
m
l
August 23, 2010 5:55:42 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Well, that was mostly to rule out a bad drive, if you don't see any issues after you did the scan, you are set. If the issue is still there, need to check on something else. I was just going by what is usually the most common issue after a hard shutdown.

Which other components can be damaged by this?
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:05:25 PM

okini55 said:
I got HWmonitor and there are no heat issues. Can this be a CPU problem :S I hope not ! How do I check my memory?

Windows has a built in memory checker in the control panel (requires a restart). You can also run it by hitting F8 just after POST. It is not the greatest but it wil catch any serious problems. For a more thorough jon get MEMTEST, a free downloadable on the web. It is very through test program - you will need to create a bootdisk/boot stick to run it.

Question - what is usually running when your PC freezes?

FYI - theoretically, regular sudden power losses can damage just about every component over time.

FR
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:09:38 PM

FerrousRodent said:
Windows has a built in memory checker in the control panel (requires a restart). You can also run it by hitting F8 just after POST. It is not the greatest but it wil catch any serious problems. For a more thorough jon get MEMTEST, a free downloadable on the web. It is very through test program - you will need to create a bootdisk/boot stick to run it.

Question - what is usually running when your PC freezes?

FYI - theoretically, regular sudden power losses can damage just about every component over time.

FR

I had a total of 4 power losses I hope its not totally damaged :o  Anyways. When the PC usually freezes im just on the dekstop not running any games or anything. Or sometimes websurfing. I had about 5 freezes so far. And this started after the power cuts, I never had any problems like this before.
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 6:20:24 PM

Maybe the power supply. Like FerrousRodent said, really anything can be damaged by power outagest like that, and it's a bit random as to what and when it happens. My main PC has gone through probably 10 power outages due to our circuit breaker triping, yet I have no issues. I have seen other computers fry after just one power outage.

I think the #1 item that fails is the HD, looks like we ruled that out. #2 maybe the the Power Supply. After that, anything in the system really from the RAM to the capacitors to the CPU. Unfortunately, there are many many things in the PC that will run just good enough to work for a bit when damaged but exhibit random crashes.
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:28:39 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Maybe the power supply. Like FerrousRodent said, really anything can be damaged by power outagest like that, and it's a bit random as to what and when it happens. My main PC has gone through probably 10 power outages due to our circuit breaker triping, yet I have no issues. I have seen other computers fry after just one power outage.

I think the #1 item that fails is the HD, looks like we ruled that out. #2 maybe the the Power Supply. After that, anything in the system really from the RAM to the capacitors to the CPU. Unfortunately, there are many many things in the PC that will run just good enough to work for a bit when damaged but exhibit random crashes.

wow I srsly hope its the HDD. I really dont want to buy a new core i7 or a new mobo those are expensive as hell ffs !
m
l
August 23, 2010 6:39:48 PM

hang-the-9 said:

is there any way I can be sure its not my CPU?????
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 7:46:16 PM

Ah.. you can try to run Prime95 and do a CPU stress test. However, I have seen plenty of systems that pass all the benchmark software you can try, and then crash randomly during sue.

There are some utilities that actually test CPU functions more than Prime95, that program does a very narrow range of instructions, but I can't think of any offhand. Lenovo makes a nice bootable test CD, but it only runs on their systems.
m
l
August 23, 2010 7:51:22 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Ah.. you can try to run Prime95 and do a CPU stress test. However, I have seen plenty of systems that pass all the benchmark software you can try, and then crash randomly during sue.

There are some utilities that actually test CPU functions more than Prime95, that program does a very narrow range of instructions, but I can't think of any offhand. Lenovo makes a nice bootable test CD, but it only runs on their systems.

so if my CPU can handle this I can consider it undamged?
m
l
August 23, 2010 8:20:05 PM

hey OP - does this problem recur if you boot windows in safe mode?
m
l
August 23, 2010 8:50:03 PM

FerrousRodent said:
hey OP - does this problem recur if you boot windows in safe mode?

Im not sure but just 20 mins ago this SH*T happend again. This time the PC didnt reboot itself after like 10 mins. I had to shut it down manually but anyways. Ive been checking both HDDs and those have no problems. I hope reinstalling windows 7 will help ? But srsly I wanna find out what component is freezing my PC all the time....
m
l
August 23, 2010 9:08:52 PM

Re-installing windows wont help is there is a hardware issue; but it may help if there if your windows OS has become unstable or you have malware.

Idea - keep your task manager up when you are running the PC and look at CPU usage and what programs/tasks are being run. I think you may be on to something about the CPU.

Does the system crash if you try to run any intensive programs like games?

You are basically at the stage where you nee dto do a lot of trouble shooting - it usually takes a while. How did the memory test go?

FR

m
l
August 23, 2010 9:14:34 PM

FerrousRodent said:
Re-installing windows wont help is there is a hardware issue; but it may help if there if your windows OS has become unstable or you have malware.

Idea - keep your task manager up when you are running the PC and look at CPU usage and what programs/tasks are being run. I think you may be on to something about the CPU.

Does the system crash if you try to run any intensive programs like games?

You are basically at the stage where you nee dto do a lot of trouble shooting - it usually takes a while. How did the memory test go?

FR

BTW thanks for all the help. Anyways! Ive not made any memtest yet although I just downloaded one. Im going to do a test tommorow because its almost sleep time for me. The freeze never happened when I ran any heavy applications or anything. Just web browsing. Either web browsing or just using a chat program etc. My temps are nice. My cpu usage is very low. 0- 15%. Memmory seems to be stable at 26% usage. What about the mobo? Cant his be caused by the mobo?
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 9:43:47 PM

The motherboard can cause these issue, that's the problem, there is "something" wrong with the system, but you almost need to isolate and check every component to find the right one. This random lock up you are seeing is a very good simptom of mother board issues, when I test a bad motherboard, it always passes stress testing. Soon as you actually use the PC for anything, 30 minutes in it shuts off.

When there was a big capacitor issue on motherboards, Compaq, Dell, HP, IBM, all the systems I see with bad capacitors can run Prime95, 3DMark, etc.. for hours without crashing. Yet they were all unstable during regular office use.
m
l
August 23, 2010 10:57:22 PM

okini55 said:
The freeze never happened when I ran any heavy applications or anything. Just web browsing. Either web browsing or just using a chat program etc.

Just playing devil's advocate on this; that almost sounds like the PSU is churning out barely enough wattage at idle power, but it sometimes drops too low - acting like a power loss; prompting a crash and reboot. However, running at high load that kind of drop would only affect performance. Maybe trying another PSU may help. Though, this is just a hunch/theory. :na:  Since you have HW Mon - you may want to watch it for power swings.

V
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2010 1:39:11 AM

After reading this thread I think that the power outage had nothing to do with your current computer problem. If you then just treat this as a freezing computer problem then the first thing I would do would be to download the manufacture of your hard drive diagnostic software from their web site and run it. If the hard drive gets a clean bill of health then I would try a new power supply.
m
l
August 24, 2010 2:49:23 PM

FerrousRodent said:
Just playing devil's advocate on this; that almost sounds like the PSU is churning out barely enough wattage at idle power, but it sometimes drops too low - acting like a power loss; prompting a crash and reboot. However, running at high load that kind of drop would only affect performance. Maybe trying another PSU may help. Though, this is just a hunch/theory. :na:  Since you have HW Mon - you may want to watch it for power swings.

V

my problem is just getting worse :S The freezes are far more frequent and also it doesnt reboot itself anymore. I have to shut it down manually. Why would the PSU have problems with power? It worked good for almost a year. Why would it get damaged by a power cut :o  ?

THANKS ALOT EVERY1 FOR THE HELP!
m
l
August 24, 2010 2:52:42 PM

pjmelect said:
After reading this thread I think that the power outage had nothing to do with your current computer problem. If you then just treat this as a freezing computer problem then the first thing I would do would be to download the manufacture of your hard drive diagnostic software from their web site and run it. If the hard drive gets a clean bill of health then I would try a new power supply.

I couldnt find anything like that on their website :( 
m
l
August 24, 2010 7:18:57 PM

FerrousRodent said:
It is right on the Hitachi web site at

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

FR

which one of them is it :S I tried one but it couldnt launch because some DLL thing was missing. THe one I tried to use is called OGT diagnostic tool. Perhaps the wrong software?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2010 7:26:50 PM

@okini55, is this the PC that you keep on kicking?
m
l
August 24, 2010 7:54:58 PM

Mousemonkey said:
@okini55, is this the PC that you keep on kicking?

well yes this is that PC. And I only hit it hard enough once :S But that was like a month or 3 weeks ago. Between that time and now theres been no freezes. Untill the power cuts ofc :S OMFG im so dumb sometimes. I still cant belive how I could do the same mistake 3 times :o 
m
l
August 24, 2010 7:59:00 PM

I should also add that DONT BUY ACER!!! I only had nothing but problems ever since i got this piece of *****.... Even my old HP could handle tons of powercuts, hits etc.... same with my old fujitsu simenes. And also my oldest PC, a compaq never even had a single problem during the 6 years I had it. BUT this one!! its been NOTHING but problems
m
l
August 26, 2010 3:33:14 PM

im planning on formating my harddrive and reinstalling windows and delete everything on it to get rid of this problem. BUT! If the PC freezes while windows 7 is reinstalling. Im completely F***ed right?
m
l
!