Far Cry 2 X-Fi Fatality Sound Glitch

pauldh

Illustrious
Any Creative X-fi owners experiencing issues such as sound cutting out or high pitch screeching in Far Cry 2? When it happens, fps drop bigtime, and it happens in game and during the benchmarking utility.

Updated to latest official drivers seemed, if anything, to make it happen more frequently.

Doesn't matter if using 5.1 or 2.1 speakers, Or with EAX, Crystalizer, EQ, etc. all turned off.

If I find a fix, I'll post it. Please do the same; Thanks. :hello:

(system in sig)

edit: Beta 2_18_006 drivers do not fix the issue.

DannyBoy27

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Nope - i have the champion series X-Fi and im running FC2 on high in Vista 64 ulti.

I just ripped the latest 64bit drivers off of the creative website, uninstalled my old ones, used Driver Cleaner - and installed the new ones.

Everything hundreds.

And im using Crystalizer,EQ,EAX and 2.1ss

orvl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
pauldh, I have the exact same issue with my X-Fi Fatality Pro; horrible screeching sound, dramatically reduced framerate.

I've also tried updating to the latest drivers which didn't do anything.

Please let me know if you find anything out since I've stopped playing the game until there's a fix!

pauldh

Illustrious

If I find a solution, I'll be sure to post it here. Seems like we may need a driver fix and possibly a game patch before this goes away. I too have completely stopped playing it as I'm not about to disable a killer sound card and go to integrated sound just for this one game.

Out of curiosity, are you running SLI or an NV video card? What driver version? My problems seemed to be worse since upgrading my NV drivers and having SLI working. Could be coincedence or even my imagination, but I may look into going back to old NV drivers or even tossing in an ATI card to be sure.

orvl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

I've got the exact same mobo as you and I'm running dual XFX 8600 GTs in SLI; my NV driver version is 178.24. I haven't tried switching cards, downgrading drivers, or switching to my onboard sound; and I'm not willing to. Please let me know if you find anything out and I will do the same.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

It's sad.

And on top of it, piss poor positioning or the complete lack of beyond stereo channels. What the hell is this junk? Gah.

Cheers,

Let me guess, everyone is using a nforce chipset?

Creatives been aware of the issue it has with certain chipsets for a while now (at least a year and a half), and they still can't fix it. Thats why I will never buy from them again.

orvl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Yes, my mobo has the nForce 650i SLI chipset.

I just tried updating to the latest nForce drivers from nVidia's site and the problem still exists; no change in the symptoms.

THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!! :fou:

pauldh

Illustrious

This is the only game I've had an issue with this mobo/sli gpu's/and SB X-fi combo. I played probably 1 hour on older NV drivers after first installing the game, without a sound issue. SLI was not offering a performance boost though. Haven't had the time yet to look into it further, but will do so soon.

pauldh

Illustrious

Agreed, I also found that very disappointing.

I've been harrassing both Creative and NVIDIA on this one for over a year now. NVIDIA blames Creative, and points out other brands work fine on their chipsets. Creative basically says "we are aware of the problem.".

I'm probably swapping in a Razer Barracuda in a few weeks, and see how that works...

marcr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I was having problems too with my X-Fi Pro but with an amd/crossfire board. Found this on the web, so far it seems to help.

go into the game directory, Data_win32/soundbinary
Edit the dare.ini file
and change disable_optomisation from true to false

orvl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
You rock!

This all but fixes my issues. The sound's still a little grainy at times but it's playable overall and the sound doesn't cut out at all anymore. The decreased framerate issues are gone as well.

marcr, please post a link to where you found that solution so I can follow it.

Thanks a lot!

orvl

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
You have the same issue in Crysis? The audio in Crysis has always been fine for me...

pauldh

Illustrious

Thanks. Glad it worked for ya. It didn't help my situation, neither has the new patch that lists a 5.1 surround fix.

Too many games have issues, and since Creative refuses to create decent drivers, I upgraded to a Razer Barracuda AC-1. Sound is much richer than on Creatives card, and the sound actually WORKs for everything. I'd recommend it over an Creative card.

marcr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I alsno noticed I was having problems with my headset when x-fi cmss and crystalizers were turned on. Try turning them off. Also are you using XP or vista? I was having more problems in XP but since Vista it seems more stable and def. runs better.

pauldh

Illustrious
I'm using Win XP.

The farcry 2 issue is aweful regardless of cmss, crystalizers, eax, surround, etc turned on/off. Otherwise, the X-Fi has been great in other games.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. It's already helped at least one person better play the game.

TRENDING THREADS