Question regarding EA's SecuROM (Spore in particular)

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
So yeah, I'm one of the many (rightfully so) peeved customers who bought Spore without knowing about this whole DRM fiasco, so I'm worried about the whole 'limited installations' thing. I know that EA supposedly expanded the number of install limits from 3 to 5 and that they took other steps to try and appease the customers, but the thing that stuck out the most for me was the ability to de-authorize a machine so that your installation is recovered and you don't lose it in case of a format or severe crash. However I'm not quite sure I've yet to see this 'deauthorization' feature and I want to be sure I de-authorize my machine before I go and install a new video card so that I don't lost an install of Spore because I had a change of hardware. And even if I don't lose an install this way, I know I'll be reformatting sooner or later and that would surely make me lose a use if I don't use this system. So, did EA ever get around to de-authorization? And if so, how do I do it?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I am pretty sure that this feature was not implemented.

EA know they have a problem, you are doing the right thing by being careful with your installs but there is little way around it.
Theres always begging over the customer services number :p

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have my doubts that it is honestly being developed. 2k had a revocation tool when Bioshock came out and they were using the exact same DRM. There really is no reason why EA couldn't have one ready right now if they wanted to.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I cant see how this increases revenues. I would play the game with no DRM, but i resent limitations on my purchases so i refuse to buy Spore. I know many others share my views as well.

How is this good business sense?

I would hope that DRM dies a horrible and contorted death in the not too distant future, reminiscent of some of the Deep Space kill-scenes.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the only solution is for them to remove the DRM, it doesn't matter if you get 5 installs nor or if it is possible to recover a activation, it doesn't change the fact that if they decide to kill the drm servers then you will be stuck with a $50 cup coaster