Sign in with
Your question

Sdram motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
February 21, 2003 5:39:23 PM

I want to upgade my motherboard to a new motherboard, SDram preferably, anyone got anyidea which i should get, and where i could get it from (i know sdram is old now etc), UK preferably. Thanks.

y0s

More about : sdram motherboard

February 21, 2003 9:34:17 PM

SDRAM upgrade is not recommended now. Upgrade few days later with a DDR mobo and DDR RAM.

BTW, what's your current specs now?

<b> "You can put lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's still a pig!" - RobD </b>
February 21, 2003 9:58:52 PM

Ok, I can't contain myself...

Why SDRAM?

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>
Related resources
February 21, 2003 10:54:07 PM

S,

For AMD platforms, I would go with a Shuttle AK32A. It is a dual ram mobo with 2 slots for SD-Ram & 2 slots for DDR. It is based on the Via KT266A chipset & will out perform all Via KT133A & SiS 735 chipsets. About vendors, I don't know enough about the U.K.

Still, like it has been mentioned to you before, you should go with a pure DDR mobo.

Peace..................tg

I'm a man in a Box
February 22, 2003 9:49:21 AM

I'm running an AMD 1.3ghz Duron, on a Gigabyte GA-7iXE4 motherboard, 9000pro 64mb, 512mb of Crucial SDram. The reason i want to use SD is because i don't have enough money to upgrade the motherboard AND the ram. I'm not a power user really anyway.

y0s
February 22, 2003 2:26:37 PM

Hi Splintah,

So... do it the smart way... when you upgrade your MB pick one that supports both SD and DD ram... then later you can upgrade to faster memory without having to replace the MB again.

Sometimes (often in fact) increases in memory and hard disk speed have greater system impacts than a faster CPU.

<b>(</b>It ain't better if it don't work.<b>)</b>
February 22, 2003 2:26:48 PM

There are a few boards out there with both SDRam slots and DDR slots. ECS K7S5A, Biostar M7VIG, and apparently the Shuttle board mentioned above (though I am unfamiliar with it). I would choose the Biostar, since the ECS board has been known to be flaky. They are both very inexpensive ($60 or less), but will allow you to upgrade to DDR when you want to. BTW, DDR is really cheap right now...if your gonna do it, now is not a bad time, it does make a big difference.

my sig left me for an Honorary Guru...
February 22, 2003 5:34:36 PM

you're going to see very little gain if you just upgrade your motherboard, unless you're going to get a new CPU and the motherboard. Even then, Sdram is going to hold you back some more. It's not really worth the upgrade, and I don't know why you would if you claim to not be a power user.

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
February 22, 2003 6:01:45 PM

cuz it's fun!

my sig left me for an Honorary Guru...
February 22, 2003 6:10:52 PM

It would be more fun taking an ocy acetylene blowtorch to a good old TNT2 M64 vid card!

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
February 22, 2003 6:47:42 PM

Hmm. I think i'll just stick with the motherboard i have at the momment then. I don't really see the point in upgrading to DDR, because i don't really play games much or anything that taxing, and when i do they're mainly older ones. I mainly do webdesign and graphics work, and occasionally 3d modelling which requires a lot of my computer. I'll probably get a 40gb hardrive, and another 256 stick of ram.

y0s
a b V Motherboard
February 22, 2003 7:07:25 PM

Adding a stick of 256, make sure you're not running Win98,98SE, they don't handle over 512Mb of RAM well period, if you're running Win2K or WinXP or Linux you'll be fine with 768Mb of RAM, just try to match the brand. I'm not familiar with WinME RAM handling capabilities just what I listed.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
February 22, 2003 7:08:39 PM

yeah I'm running win2k. yeah i'll definately buy and match the same ram.

y0s
!