Miantinence

I have WXP SP2 (with a cd-writer) that is humming right along with
Norton firewall & AV, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, and Spyware
guard. The thing is I keep reading about backing up this and that,
registry, files. etc. Could you please tell me (or point me in the right
direction) of how and/or what I need to do? TIA

Happy Holidays; Marty
4 answers Last reply
More about miantinence

    Wow, what a great question. We wish more people would take such an interest
    in backing up. It's the single most important thing you can do to ensure
    problem-free computing.

    Backup is a huge topic that is way beyond the limited scope of a newsgroup
    posting. The Internet is filled with good information about backing up, and
    I encourage you to read as much as you can on the subject. For a new user,
    PC World Online (www.pcworld.com) will start you off in the right direction.
    What follows is a very general introduction:

    At a minimum, you need to backup your personal files. That means your
    documents, spreadsheets, photos, music and videos. All you need to do is to
    copy them to recordable CDs. Do this often, so you'll always have recent
    copies of your personal files. You can save time by not backing up what
    already exists elsewhere. For example: If you transferred a music CD to your
    computer, there's no need to backup that if you own the CD.

    For most people, the next thing to backup is their email address book and
    their e-mail messages. For this you may consult Tom Koch, the unheralded
    master of backing up Outlook Express. Find his instructions at Inside
    Outlook Express (http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/). You may also want to
    backup your Favorites. This is most easily done within Internet Explorer: Go
    to File > Import and Export and 'export' your Favorites to My Documents.
    Now, your Favorites will be backed up every time you backup the contents of
    My Documents.

    At this point, you'll want to consider something more sophisticated than
    just copying files to CDs. Time to look for backup software. There is a ton
    of this available. To sort things out, look for reviews in the popular
    computer e-zines, such as PC World and PC Magazine (www.pcmag.com) and CNet
    (www.cnet.com). Backup software will make backing up more convenient; if
    it's more convenient you'll be glad to do it more often. Windows has its own
    backup software - called ntbackup - but it doesn't backup directly to CDs.

    The next step is to backup your software, meaning Windows and all your
    applications. Some backup software can do this, but the best way to go is
    with something called 'disk imaging' software. Disk imaging gets rather
    complicated, so you may want to wait until you have more experience before
    trying it. Basically, an image is a bit-by-bit exact copy of your entire
    hard disk. You can image your entire hard disk in minutes and restore it
    just as quickly. It's the ultimate backup solution. Look at Ghost 9.0 by
    Symantec and True Image 8.0 by Acronis.

    System Restore is not a method of backing up. System Restore creates restore
    points, which contain your registry and some essential system and user
    files. The idea behind System Restore is to restore enough of the essential
    guts of Windows to get you back to the user interface if you run into
    trouble. From the user interface you can troubleshoot (hopefully) whatever
    caused your problem in the first place.

    When you need to backup your registry, just create a restore point. If there
    is a problem with your registry or with one of the system or user files
    contained in a restore point, you can quickly replace them with known good
    copies. Don't use a restore point that is more than a few days old: the
    mixture of old registry entries and new files can destabilize your system.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > I have WXP SP2 (with a cd-writer) that is humming right along with
    > Norton firewall & AV, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, and Spyware
    > guard. The thing is I keep reading about backing up this and that,
    > registry, files. etc. Could you please tell me (or point me in the right
    > direction) of how and/or what I need to do? TIA
    >
    > Happy Holidays; Marty

    You only backup your data files you created which are ususally under
    something similar to this;

    C:\Documents and Settings\Marty\My Documents\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Marty\My Documents\Photos
    C:\Documents and Settings\Marty\My Documents\Family
    C:\Documents and Settings\Marty\My Documents\Business

    <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > I have WXP SP2 (with a cd-writer) that is humming right along with
    > Norton firewall & AV, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, and Spyware
    > guard. The thing is I keep reading about backing up this and that,
    > registry, files. etc. Could you please tell me (or point me in the right
    > direction) of how and/or what I need to do? TIA
    >
    > Happy Holidays; Marty

    http://www.taobackup.com/

    This is funny, but there is great wisdom behind it..

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    > caused your problem in the first place.
    >
    > When you need to backup your registry, just create a restore point. If
    there
    > is a problem with your registry or with one of the system or user files
    > contained in a restore point, you can quickly replace them with known good
    > copies. Don't use a restore point that is more than a few days old: the
    > mixture of old registry entries and new files can destabilize your system.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > <martymkm@webtv.net> wrote in message
    > > I have WXP SP2 (with a cd-writer) that is humming right along with
    > > Norton firewall & AV, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Spywareblaster, and Spyware
    > > guard. The thing is I keep reading about backing up this and that,
    > > registry, files. etc. Could you please tell me (or point me in the right
    > > direction) of how and/or what I need to do? TIA

    Thanks guys for the replies. They were very enlightening and
    informative. I have printed them out so I will have them in front of me
    as I work on my pc. Wish me luck!

    Happy Holidays; Marty

Windows XP