Kyocera 7135 data plans

I've been considering upgrading to a Kyocera 7135. Am I correct in my
reading of the VZW web site that I have to add a data plan to my voice plan
to be able to get email and web browsing? I currently have a National
Single Rate plan and use the phone as a modem for my laptop and just use
plan minutes. It looks like I have to add a $45 data plan to that in order
to use the 7135. Is that correct? Or can I just use plan minutes as I now
do when hooking thru my laptop?
31 answers Last reply
More about kyocera 7135 data plans

    "Ron Dawes" <ron@dawes.com> wrote in message
    Question 1
    > I've been considering upgrading to a Kyocera 7135. Am I correct in my
    > reading of the VZW web site that I have to add a data plan to my
    > voice plan to be able to get email and web browsing?
    NO

    Question 2
    > I currently have a National Single Rate plan and use the phone as a modem
    for my
    > laptop and just use plan minutes. It looks like I have to add a $45
    > data plan to that in order to use the 7135. Is that correct?
    NO

    Question 3
    > Or can I just use plan minutes as I now do when hooking thru my laptop?
    YES (but you may need a different cable)

    It depends of course. Unfortunately your first two questions really have
    absolutely NOTHING to do with what type of phone, but whether you want free
    unlimited data, or continue to use plan minutes for data.

    As for your later questions, you can use the 7135 on your existing plan the
    way you do now with whatever phone you have now, as to using it with your
    laptop, yes you can **BUT** (you didn't say what phone and cable you have),
    you may have to get a new cable to go between your laptop and phone.

    I'm sorry, I was not clear in my question. I meant to be asking whether or
    not I had to add a separate $45 data plan to my voice plan in order to use
    the 7135 itself for web access and retreiving email.

    "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Ron Dawes" <ron@dawes.com> wrote in message
    > Question 1
    > > I've been considering upgrading to a Kyocera 7135. Am I correct in my
    > > reading of the VZW web site that I have to add a data plan to my
    > > voice plan to be able to get email and web browsing?
    > NO
    >
    > Question 2
    > > I currently have a National Single Rate plan and use the phone as a
    modem
    > for my
    > > laptop and just use plan minutes. It looks like I have to add a $45
    > > data plan to that in order to use the 7135. Is that correct?
    > NO
    >
    > Question 3
    > > Or can I just use plan minutes as I now do when hooking thru my laptop?
    > YES (but you may need a different cable)
    >
    > It depends of course. Unfortunately your first two questions really have
    > absolutely NOTHING to do with what type of phone, but whether you want
    free
    > unlimited data, or continue to use plan minutes for data.
    >
    > As for your later questions, you can use the 7135 on your existing plan
    the
    > way you do now with whatever phone you have now, as to using it with your
    > laptop, yes you can **BUT** (you didn't say what phone and cable you
    have),
    > you may have to get a new cable to go between your laptop and phone.

    The quick answer, NO.

    The device itself can use mobileweb (at 4.99 a month), and access certain
    email sites for the cost of minutes used.

    > I'm sorry, I was not clear in my question. I meant to be asking
    > whether or not I had to add a separate $45 data plan to my voice plan
    > in order to use the 7135 itself for web access and retrieving email.
    >

    > "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Ron Dawes" <ron@dawes.com> wrote in message
    >> Question 1
    >>> I've been considering upgrading to a Kyocera 7135. Am I correct in
    >>> my reading of the VZW web site that I have to add a data plan to my
    >>> voice plan to be able to get email and web browsing?
    >> NO
    >>
    >> Question 2
    >>> I currently have a National Single Rate plan and use the phone as a
    >>> modem for my laptop and just use plan minutes. It looks like I
    >>> have to add a $45 data plan to that in order to use the 7135. Is
    >>> that correct?
    >> NO
    >>
    >> Question 3
    >>> Or can I just use plan minutes as I now do when hooking thru my
    >>> laptop?
    >> YES (but you may need a different cable)
    >>
    >> It depends of course. Unfortunately your first two questions really
    >> have absolutely NOTHING to do with what type of phone, but whether
    >> you want free unlimited data, or continue to use plan minutes for
    >> data.
    >>
    >> As for your later questions, you can use the 7135 on your existing
    >> plan the way you do now with whatever phone you have now, as to
    >> using it with your laptop, yes you can **BUT** (you didn't say what
    >> phone and cable you have), you may have to get a new cable to go
    >> between your laptop and phone.

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:

    ; Question 1
    ; NO
    ; Question 2
    ; NO

    Do you have a SmartPhone? If so, I would dearly love to know how you
    can do that. My personal experience contradicts your assertions.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important.
    It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you
    know, the dark dungeons of the Internet. - George W. Bush, Arlington
    Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000

    "Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
    > Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:
    >
    > ; Question 1
    > ; NO
    > ; Question 2
    > ; NO
    >
    > Do you have a SmartPhone? If so, I would dearly love to know how you
    > can do that. My personal experience contradicts your assertions.

    Yes. And I also sell and service them. If your personal experience is
    different, then I suggest you try some new things. It not only works, but
    also works very well with the 1X-MOU stuff.

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Ron Dawes said:

    ; I've been considering upgrading to a Kyocera 7135. Am I correct in my
    ; reading of the VZW web site that I have to add a data plan to my voice plan
    ; to be able to get email and web browsing? I currently have a National

    Yes. I am still dealing with the billing hell that resulted in a CSR
    telling me that Mobile Web will do what I want with the 7135. With
    Mobile Web, the only on-phone browser that will work is the one called
    "Browser". The ones labeled "web" and "EudoraWeb", nor any add-on
    browser will work.

    If you want to remain on one of VZWs mainline plans (National
    Singlerate, America's Choice) then you need to add the data device
    specific add-on. Which substantially raises the cost. IIRC, it's
    about $20/month for 5MB of data transfer or ~$45 for unlimited data.

    I'm back on a NationalAccess plan, where voice and data come out of my
    minutes pool. However, the NA plans do not have extra n/w minutes or
    many of the calling features included as a matter of course with an AC
    plan. Nor can I combine it with my VZ landline bill.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "There needs to be debates, like we're going through. There needs to be
    town hall meetings. There needs to be travel. This is a huge country."
    George W. Bush, Larry King Live, Dec. 16, 1999

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:

    ; "Jeffrey Kaplan" <acv@gordol.org> wrote in message
    ; news:ur9kc0hore1aetl6po031dop204nngl4im@news20.forteinc.com
    ; > Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:
    ; >
    ; > ; Question 1
    ; > ; NO
    ; > ; Question 2
    ; > ; NO
    ; >
    ;
    ; Yes. And I also sell and service them. If your personal experience is
    ; different, then I suggest you try some new things. It not only works, but

    Could you be any less specific? Or perhaps a little more vague?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "If civil authorities legislate for or allow anything that is contrary
    to the will of God, neither the laws made nor the authorizations
    granted can be binding on the consciences of the citizens, since God
    has more right to be obeyed than men." - Pope John XXIII

    > Could you be any less specific? Or perhaps a little more vague?

    Since you obviously don't want to take my word for it, how bout the info and
    reviews written by other users?

    Check out the Phone Scoop info page on the Kyocera 7135 at:
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=173

    and several dozen user reviews (actually 34 on 4 pages) at:
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone=173

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:

    ; > I'm fed up with people here saying "it can be done" and then not
    ; > saying
    ; > HOW! If it can be done, then tell us how. I want to know the feature
    ; > code(s) and name(s) to ask for, because if it can be done, then I
    ; > obviously asked for the wrong thing.
    ;
    ; Considering you give no clue where you are at, and feature codes are

    Eastern/central MA.

    ; different in almost every market Verizon has, all I can tell you at this
    ; point is that the previous post/message gives links to a website (phone
    ; scoop) that not only has info about the phone, but also 34 reviews by people
    ; that have actually used the phone/pda and tell of their likes/dislikes
    ; pros/cons etc and forums on how to do it.

    None of which answer the question. They are all about the PHONE, when
    my question is about the SERVICE.

    ; As for the other stuff, I use an SDIO type card to allow me to use hotspots

    I don't have any use for WiFi.

    ; the phone (when not). With either I use outlook and my home(Earthlink) and

    A) I do not use Outlook, even if there was a PalmOS version of it.

    ; large number of forums where there are other users that can tell you exactly
    ; how to do things. Fraid this isn't exactly the place to go into details.

    This is as good a place as any. Isn't this a group for discussions
    about VZW? Isn't this phone on VZW's network? Isn't this a question
    about how to get a feature on VZW? Plus, I hate web based forums for a
    variety of reasons.

    ; Some examples: (I like wireless advisor)

    None of which seem to address the issue at hand: What SERVICE code do
    I need to add onto an America's Choice plan to be able to use ALL of
    the in-built data/internet items on the unit and have it come out of
    the minutes pool? NationalAccess plans do this as a matter of course,
    but a) cost more b) have fewer minutes c) have fewer other features and
    d) cannot be combined with a Verizon landline bill.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "The reason we start a war is to fight a war, win a war, thereby
    causing no more war!" George W. Bush, The first Presidential debate

    In article <ur9kc0hore1aetl6po031dop204nngl4im@news20.forteinc.com>,
    acv@gordol.org says...
    > Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:
    >
    > ; Question 1
    > ; NO
    > ; Question 2
    > ; NO
    >
    > Do you have a SmartPhone? If so, I would dearly love to know how you
    > can do that. My personal experience contradicts your assertions.

    You have to contact tech support and have National Access (1xRTT)
    activated for your phone. For some reason, it isn't activated by
    default, then set the connection options in the smartphone to use 1xRTT
    for data. I did this with my 7135 and can now connect via 1xRTT by the
    minute.

    --
    Michael D. Sullivan
    Bethesda, MD, USA

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Michael D. Sullivan said:

    ; > Do you have a SmartPhone? If so, I would dearly love to know how you
    ; > can do that. My personal experience contradicts your assertions.
    ;
    ; You have to contact tech support and have National Access (1xRTT)
    ; activated for your phone. For some reason, it isn't activated by
    ; default, then set the connection options in the smartphone to use 1xRTT
    ; for data. I did this with my 7135 and can now connect via 1xRTT by the
    ; minute.

    I currently have the NationalAccess 400 plan, it costs me $55/month.
    What I want is an America's Choice 400 plan with a data add-on, and pay
    no more than what I'm paying now. AC400 is $40/month, and the NA
    add-on plans range from an additional $30 for 5MB of data to $80.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "I did denounce it. I de-I denounced it. I denounced interracial
    dating. I denounced anti-Catholic bigacy... bigotry." - George W. Bush,
    Referring to his Bob Jones University visit and the subsequent
    criticism, Virginia, February 25, 2000

    In article <002lc0d2teomh7c9ahv5o0j8ideu598thg@news20.forteinc.com>,
    acv@gordol.org says...

    > None of which seem to address the issue at hand: What SERVICE code do
    > I need to add onto an America's Choice plan to be able to use ALL of
    > the in-built data/internet items on the unit and have it come out of
    > the minutes pool? NationalAccess plans do this as a matter of course,
    > but a) cost more b) have fewer minutes c) have fewer other features and
    > d) cannot be combined with a Verizon landline bill.

    Call tech support and ask to have the National Access feature enabled.
    You do not want a National Access plan, just the option of using
    National Access (1xRTT) MOU (minutes of use). Once this has been
    enabled, you need to set the 7135 to use 1xRTT for its data network
    connection (PDAPrefs/Network/Service set to "Express Network (1XRTT)").
    Without NA, you can still use the non-WAP browsers, but you need to set
    the data network connection to use dialup (PDAPrefs/Network/Service set
    to "VZW Quick2Net (14.4kbps)"). MobileWeb (WAP browser) is pretty
    useless and isn't worth the $4.95 a month, unless you are using the
    dialup speed connection and want to access a covered site that uses a
    secure connection, which will be intolerably slow at dialup speed with
    the standard browser.
    --

    "Michael D. Sullivan" <nospam@camsul.com> wrote in message > Call tech
    support and ask to have the National Access feature enabled.
    > You do not want a National Access plan, just the option of using
    > National Access (1xRTT) MOU (minutes of use). Once this has been
    > enabled, you need to set the 7135 to use 1xRTT for its data network
    > connection (PDAPrefs/Network/Service set to "Express Network (1XRTT)").

    So if I am clear on what you are saying, if I do the above then I can use
    the full browsing features and access mail from a POP3 account? Thanks,
    Ron.

    > "Michael D. Sullivan" <nospam@camsul.com> wrote in message > Call tech
    > support and ask to have the National Access feature enabled.
    >> You do not want a National Access plan, just the option of using
    >> National Access (1xRTT) MOU (minutes of use). Once this has been
    >> enabled, you need to set the 7135 to use 1xRTT for its data network
    >> connection (PDAPrefs/Network/Service set to "Express Network
    >> (1XRTT)").
    >
    > So if I am clear on what you are saying, if I do the above then I can
    > use the full browsing features and access mail from a POP3 account?
    > Thanks, Ron.

    Yes, it works great when mobile or tethered, the initial question was about
    also using browsing on the phone/pda (along with email). Since I sometimes
    use the PDA and other times use a desktop, I found the mobileweb to be more
    useful than keeping stuff locally (and it also uses the MOU 1xrtt). But to
    reiterate what mike said, the biggest mistake most people make is looking at
    data plans, rather than the MOU *OPTION* added to their current voice plan.
    Note that the *OPTION* is not listed on the website, and most people at
    stores don't know about it and won't mention it since it is FREE, and they
    don't make a commission on it.

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:

    ; > I currently have the NationalAccess 400 plan, it costs me $55/month.
    ; > What I want is an America's Choice 400 plan with a data add-on, and
    ; > pay no more than what I'm paying now. AC400 is $40/month, and the NA
    ; > add-on plans range from an additional $30 for 5MB of data to $80.
    ;
    ; Sigh... once again, it is an ****OPTION**** added to your current voice
    ; plan, it is ***NOT*** a plan!!!!

    Yes it is a plan.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=planFirst&action=viewPlanDetail&sortOption=priceSort&catId=328

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "It's not the way America is all about." - George W. Bush

    "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> wrote in message

    > The option is now called National Access. It used to be
    > called "EN" (Enhanced Network?).
    >
    > -Quick

    It used to be called Express Network (That's where the EN ame from), now it
    is NationalAccess (NA), or for short, some people just call it 1X (since it
    shows 1X on some phones), and is short for 1XRTT.

    In article <40ce0e9d$1$cqbaaryy$mr2ice@news.verizon.net>,
    <NOSPAMpdonnell@northnet.org> wrote:
    >In <1087236503.848527@sj-nntpcache-3>, on 06/14/04
    > at 11:05 AM, "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> said:
    >On my bill, it's listed as "NationalAccess Minutes of Use".
    >
    >The "Minutes of Use" (Unofficially abreviated MOU on this group)
    >differentates between the "National Access" plan and the "NationalAccess
    >Minutes of Use " option.
    >The way I understand it, you pay for the "NationalAccess" plan, but it
    >doesn't use your minutes. The "NationalAccess Minutes of Use " option
    >gives you data, but uses your minutes. If you call during Nites and
    >Weekends, your minutes are free, hence free internet during those periods.

    There is the advertised "NationalAccess" PLAN. It seems to be equivalent
    to the Single Rate National PLAN, with the "National Access" FEATURE
    thrown it. No offpeak minutes, data usage taken from plan minutes.

    I have SRN, but my bill shows "National Access" under features, which
    seems to make it equivalant to the NationalAccess PLAN.

    It seems that people on the "America's Choice" PLAN have "NationalAccess
    Minutes of Use" on their features list.

    CONFUSING!!!

    CharlesH wrote:
    > In article <40ce0e9d$1$cqbaaryy$mr2ice@news.verizon.net>,
    > <NOSPAMpdonnell@northnet.org> wrote:
    >> In <1087236503.848527@sj-nntpcache-3>, on 06/14/04
    >> at 11:05 AM, "Quick" <dhorwitz@NOSPAMcisco.com> said:
    >> On my bill, it's listed as "NationalAccess Minutes of Use".
    >>
    >> The "Minutes of Use" (Unofficially abreviated MOU on this group)
    >> differentates between the "National Access" plan and the
    >> "NationalAccess Minutes of Use " option.
    >> The way I understand it, you pay for the "NationalAccess" plan, but
    >> it doesn't use your minutes. The "NationalAccess Minutes of Use "
    >> option gives you data, but uses your minutes. If you call during
    >> Nites and Weekends, your minutes are free, hence free internet
    >> during those periods.
    >
    > There is the advertised "NationalAccess" PLAN. It seems to be
    > equivalent to the Single Rate National PLAN, with the "National
    > Access" FEATURE thrown it. No offpeak minutes, data usage taken from
    > plan minutes.
    >
    > I have SRN, but my bill shows "National Access" under features, which
    > seems to make it equivalant to the NationalAccess PLAN.
    >
    > It seems that people on the "America's Choice" PLAN have
    > "NationalAccess Minutes of Use" on their features list.

    Well... maybe not Jeffery -:)

    > CONFUSING!!!

    Exactly. Probably a bad idea to give the same name to both a
    plan and a feature.

    -Quick

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Quick said:

    ; > It seems that people on the "America's Choice" PLAN have
    ; > "NationalAccess Minutes of Use" on their features list.
    ;
    ; Well... maybe not Jeffery -:)

    Somewhere upthread, I said that I had tried that, and it did not work.
    The network would not recognize my data call when using anything other
    than the WAP browser.

    I am not confused, or at least I don't think I am.

    To recap:

    My hardware is a SmartPhone. It came with three web browsers installed
    in ROM. A WAP browser and two small-format "regular" browsers, and I
    had since installed Blazer.

    On the National Access +plan+ I can use any of the four browsers I
    wish. I can also use .pqa files (single-purpose minibrowsers).

    On America's Choice with the National Access +feature+, I could only
    use the WAP browser.

    What I want is an AC plan with the National Access +feature+ AND be
    able to use something other than the WAP browser.

    All of this is on the SmartPhone, not tethered, though I may tether it
    at some point.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "I'm going to take a vow of silence concerning this entire
    conversation." (Lennier, B5 "The Quality of Mercy")

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > To recap:
    >
    > My hardware is a SmartPhone. It came with three web browsers
    > installed in ROM. A WAP browser and two small-format "regular"
    > browsers, and I had since installed Blazer.

    Yes, I have one. I have used the wap browser but deleted it from ROM.
    Deleted the EIS browser as well. I use WebProV and occassionally Xiino
    now.

    > On the National Access +plan+ I can use any of the four browsers I
    > wish. I can also use .pqa files (single-purpose minibrowsers).
    >
    > On America's Choice with the National Access +feature+, I could only
    > use the WAP browser.

    ALERT! ALERT! This doesn't make sense. I can connect any of my
    past or present browsers over either QNC or EN/NA. Both links are
    under IP and the link doesn't make a difference (other than speed, billing,
    etc.).
    The IP layer effectively shields applications above it from the link(s)
    below
    it. So if you can connect one application over IP then you should be able
    to connect all applications over IP.

    Have you carefully checked your settings under Palm Prefs->network?

    One thing that comes to mind is that the NA +plan+ could use a different
    number (#777) than the AC +feature+ ? just a wild guess.
    Check each browser and see if they have configuration determining which
    network settings they use from the prefs.

    > What I want is an AC plan with the National Access +feature+ AND be
    > able to use something other than the WAP browser.

    Again, a browser is a browser. They use IP.
    If one works and another doesn't the problem isn't with your connection
    at the link level (QNC or 1xRTT).

    > All of this is on the SmartPhone, not tethered, though I may tether it
    > at some point.

    -Quick

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Quick said:

    ; > On America's Choice with the National Access +feature+, I could only
    ; > use the WAP browser.
    ;
    ; ALERT! ALERT! This doesn't make sense. I can connect any of my
    ; past or present browsers over either QNC or EN/NA. Both links are
    ; under IP and the link doesn't make a difference (other than speed, billing,
    ; etc.).
    ; The IP layer effectively shields applications above it from the link(s)
    ; below
    ; it. So if you can connect one application over IP then you should be able
    ; to connect all applications over IP.

    I know it doesn't make sense. There are a lot of things in this
    business that don't makes sense.

    ; Have you carefully checked your settings under Palm Prefs->network?

    Yes. The settings work when using the NA plan, but not when using the
    NA feature under an AC plan.

    ; One thing that comes to mind is that the NA +plan+ could use a different
    ; number (#777) than the AC +feature+ ? just a wild guess.

    Not that I know of. VZW's data group tech support said to make sure it
    was set to #777.

    ; Check each browser and see if they have configuration determining which
    ; network settings they use from the prefs.

    Blazer, forex, opens the system prefs locked into the Network settings
    when I go to view/edit its network settings.

    ; Again, a browser is a browser. They use IP.
    ; If one works and another doesn't the problem isn't with your connection
    ; at the link level (QNC or 1xRTT).

    I never said it was. It is apparently at the cellular network level,
    aka my access plan.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "This is important! But you have to stay absolutely cool. I may be
    completely off-base, and panicking prematurely." "I don't think so. I
    think you're panicking post-maturely. In fact, if you were panicking
    any later it would have to be practically posthumously. I've been
    panicking for days." (Miles and Ivan [Lois McMaster Bujold,
    "Cetaganda"])

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > ; Again, a browser is a browser. They use IP.
    > ; If one works and another doesn't the problem isn't with your
    > connection ; at the link level (QNC or 1xRTT).
    >
    > I never said it was. It is apparently at the cellular network level,
    > aka my access plan.

    No... I doubt it. Cellular network level, no. Access plan, maybe.
    The only thing I can think of is that they are blocking IP access
    to anything other than their wap portal but I don't think they do
    that. You don't have your other browsers configured to use a
    proxy (that isn't there) do you?

    -Quick

    > Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:
    >
    > ; I have no idea what market you are in, and since there is no
    > standard codes,
    >
    > I have said I'm in MA.

    Sorry, I'm in Las Vegas, not only a different market, but a whole different
    billing system!

    > ; Just out of curiosity, have you even checked your current plan/bill
    > yet?
    >
    > I cannot make heads or tails out of my current bill, because it
    > contains what looks like two plan changes, from when I had last tried
    > to switch to an AC plan with the NA +feature+ and failed to get the
    > data access.
    >
    > ; Look at your bill under current options, see if National Access" is
    > listed. ; You may already have it!
    >
    > I have also already said that I currently am on a National Access
    > +plan+. I even provided a link to the plan's description.

    I know what you said about a plan, and as I recollect you weren't on it
    before. I typed about an option... from my bill..
    <Start Paste>
    Your Service Profile

    Item Description
    Current calling plan: America's Choice 400 Peak Unl N&W 1000 Mtm $39.99 2y
    0902
    Monthly charge $39.99
    Monthly allowance minutes 400 general
    Additional per minute charge $.45 peak, $.45 off-peak

    Promotional Details:
    Current: Beginning on 08/20/03: Unlimited night & weekend minute allowance
    per month - 2yr contract

    Enhanced Services: Call Delivery , Voice Mail, IQ Service Package, CDMA
    Digital W/TXT Msg, CallerID,
    Message Waiting Ind, New Every Two, Streamline Billing, Nat IN-Network -1000
    Mins, Mobile Web - 0 Alerts,
    National Access
    Nat IN-Network -1000 Mins
    Monthly allowance 1000 general
    Additional per minute $.45 peak, $.45 off-peak

    Current Features: Nat IN-Network -1000 Mins
    Monthly allowance 1000 general
    Additional per minute $.45 peak, $.45 off-peak
    <End Paste>

    On my bill, with no NA plan (it's an AC plan), it shows "National Access"
    under enchanced services. I can use the high speed 1x Minutes of use option
    at any time I want, high speed data access = cell minutes. That's what I was
    suggesting you look for on your non NA bill.

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Quick said:

    ; No... I doubt it. Cellular network level, no. Access plan, maybe.
    ; The only thing I can think of is that they are blocking IP access
    ; to anything other than their wap portal but I don't think they do
    ; that. You don't have your other browsers configured to use a
    ; proxy (that isn't there) do you?

    One of the selling points of Blazer is that it doesn't need one, and
    that is currently my browser of choice. I just double checked, and it
    is not set to use a proxy. Do you think that may be the problem? That
    when on the AC plan with NA feature, that I need a proxy?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "How am I? I'm broke...ruined...destitute...a pariah. <brightly> How
    are you?" "Not bad." (Quark and Rom, DS9 "Body Parts")

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Quick said:
    >
    > ; > It seems that people on the "America's Choice" PLAN have
    > ; > "NationalAccess Minutes of Use" on their features list.
    > ;
    > ; Well... maybe not Jeffery -:)
    >
    > Somewhere upthread, I said that I had tried that, and it did not work.
    > The network would not recognize my data call when using anything other
    > than the WAP browser.
    >
    > I am not confused, or at least I don't think I am.
    >
    > To recap:
    >
    > My hardware is a SmartPhone. It came with three web browsers installed
    > in ROM. A WAP browser and two small-format "regular" browsers, and I
    > had since installed Blazer.
    >
    > On the National Access +plan+ I can use any of the four browsers I
    > wish. I can also use .pqa files (single-purpose minibrowsers).
    >
    > On America's Choice with the National Access +feature+, I could only
    > use the WAP browser.
    >
    > What I want is an AC plan with the National Access +feature+ AND be
    > able to use something other than the WAP browser.
    >
    > All of this is on the SmartPhone, not tethered, though I may tether it
    > at some point.

    Jeffrey, I'm just jumping into this discussion today so I may have
    missed this, but it looks like you're only dwelling on the service side
    of this issue and I didn't see that you followed what a couple of
    messages here state to do in setting your phone to use 1xRTT for data.
    Michael Sullivan specifically stated a couple of days ago, "you need to
    set the 7135 to use 1xRTT for its data network connection
    (PDAPrefs/Network/Service set to "Express Network (1XRTT)")." So have
    you tried that on an America's Choice plan that included the NA
    option/feature?

    Steve

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Steve Johnson said:

    ; Jeffrey, I'm just jumping into this discussion today so I may have
    ; missed this, but it looks like you're only dwelling on the service side
    ; of this issue and I didn't see that you followed what a couple of
    ; messages here state to do in setting your phone to use 1xRTT for data.

    You are right, I have neglected to mention that.

    The only time my SmartPhone went off of 1xRTT was for testing. At
    those times it was set for Q2N, and then back to 1xRTT.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and you don't do
    it, that's trustworthiness." - George W. Bush

    "Peter Pan" wrote in message news

    tabcdef

    do you fly

    "TABCDEF" <tabcdef@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
    > "Peter Pan" wrote in message news
    >

    > tabcdef
    >
    > do you fly

    Yup, and I'm invisible, looking for you asleep so I can screw you in the
    butt.

    Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:

    ; > ; I have no idea what market you are in, and since there is no
    ; > standard codes,
    ; >
    ; > I have said I'm in MA.
    ; >
    ; Sorry, I'm in Las Vegas, not only a different market, but a whole different
    ; billing system!

    I can only assume then that being able to do this is also regionally
    dependant. OTOH, I'll probably try this again with VZW in a month or
    three.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

    "Carry on. Remember, I want maximum inefficiency, incompetence, and
    error." (Miles Vorkosigan [Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Vor Game"])

    > Previously on alt.cellular.verizon, Peter Pan said:
    >
    > ; > ; I have no idea what market you are in, and since there is no
    > ; > standard codes,
    > ; >
    > ; > I have said I'm in MA.
    > ; >
    > ; Sorry, I'm in Las Vegas, not only a different market, but a whole
    > different ; billing system!
    >
    > I can only assume then that being able to do this is also regionally
    > dependant. OTOH, I'll probably try this again with VZW in a month or
    > three.

    For me it is, and unfortunately you asked specifically, what the person at
    your local verizon store, thousands of miles away, has to type in to add
    that option to your account. I keep saying to talk to someone locally and
    find out what the code is and get it added to your account. It's the option
    codes used by the person on the phone to add options to an account that are
    market dependent, not the option itself. The option is a standard verizon
    thing that millions of people have (it was automatically added to all new
    contracts from July 15th 2003 until Dec 31st 2003), and thousands of those
    use it. Out of the thousands of other people that have and use it all the
    time, I'm sure one or more of them probably live in your area, ask em at
    www.rv.net then click on forums, then under technical resources technology
    corner, read the posted messages or post one of your own.

Verizon Laptops Internet Service Providers