Trouble Loading XP Pro

I bought a XP Pro disc off of eBay and tried to load it over my Win ME
system. The damn thing only loads to about 27 - 31 % then repeatedly drops
out of the setup to re-boot and start the whole show over again, and again.
Is there anyway to rescue all the "good" files still left on the computer in
my Office 2000 directories? Or am I SOL.??!!
4 answers Last reply
More about trouble loading

    That is one of the reasons backing up is recommended before
    you begin an upgrade.
    Also, the CDs sold on eBay may be damaged, stolen or
    pirated.
    MY guess, is you're SOL.

    But if you have another computer and can install the hard
    drive as a slave or boot the recovery console you may be
    able to rescue some files. If the data is very important
    and valuable, contact DriveSavers.

    --
    Merry Christmas
    Have a Safe and Happy New Year
    "81mm" <res0n8e5@verizon.net> wrote in message
    |I bought a XP Pro disc off of eBay and tried to load it
    over my Win ME
    | system. The damn thing only loads to about 27 - 31 % then
    repeatedly drops
    | out of the setup to re-boot and start the whole show over
    again, and again.
    | Is there anyway to rescue all the "good" files still left
    on the computer in
    | my Office 2000 directories? Or am I SOL.??!!

    I have my older computer, a Gateway Solo 2300, and the one I'm having the
    trouble with is a Gateway 9300. Both laptops. How do I do the "slave"
    thing'y, and what's a rescue console..? What happens? I just take theHD
    out of the 9300, and stick it in the 2300..?

    You should probably find a friend with a desktop computer
    because your laptops are not equipped to run external hard
    drives as cheaply as you can get an adapter to fit a 2-1/2
    inch laptop drive into a 3-1/2 desktop and connect to the
    different cables that laptops and desktops use.

    A slave drive is a drive that has the jumpers set so that it
    will be a slave to the other drive on a cable.

    The recovery console is a simpler XP operating system that
    is on the CD and can be used to boot the computer to a
    command line interface.

    And, if you have to ask these questions, I suggest you find
    a computer geek, buy him a few beers or what ever and get
    some help.

    --
    |I have my older computer, a Gateway Solo 2300, and the one
    I'm having the
    | trouble with is a Gateway 9300. Both laptops. How do I
    do the "slave"
    | thing'y, and what's a rescue console..? What happens? I
    just take theHD
    | out of the 9300, and stick it in the 2300..?

    Huh.., slaves.., geeks.., beers..(smile)..?? RIght.., hey you are right
    Jim.., THANKS..! Back to SOL (grin)..! All things are a learning
    experience..!!

Microsoft Windows XP