Windows XP (SP2) and Faxing

Tags:
  • Modem
  • Windows XP
December 17, 2004 4:51:25 AM

I have a Netopia modem setup on my PC which I received from Earthlink when I
switched from dialup to DSL. How do I set up the fax component of Win XP?
I tried earlier today and the fax wizard did not recognize any modems
attached to my PC. Am I going to have to ALSO attach another external modem
just to be able to send and receive faxes?

Thank you.

More about : windows sp2 faxing

December 17, 2004 4:51:26 AM

Your Netopia modem is not really a modem. It has a digital signal
(D-digital S-subscriber L-line). A true modem has an analog signal. This
is what you had with dial-up. Was your dial-up modem an internal or
external modem? If internal I'm surprised it would be removed but if so
reinstall it. If external hook it back up and you should be set.

"J. Timothy" <jtimothy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a Netopia modem setup on my PC which I received from Earthlink when
>I switched from dialup to DSL. How do I set up the fax component of Win
>XP? I tried earlier today and the fax wizard did not recognize any modems
>attached to my PC. Am I going to have to ALSO attach another external
>modem just to be able to send and receive faxes?
>
> Thank you.

December 17, 2004 4:51:27 AM

Sorry, I should clarify that a 'digital modem' will not work for faxing.
You'll need an analog modem for this.

!