Windows XP (SP2) and Faxing

I have a Netopia modem setup on my PC which I received from Earthlink when I
switched from dialup to DSL. How do I set up the fax component of Win XP?
I tried earlier today and the fax wizard did not recognize any modems
attached to my PC. Am I going to have to ALSO attach another external modem
just to be able to send and receive faxes?

Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows faxing

    Your Netopia modem is not really a modem. It has a digital signal
    (D-digital S-subscriber L-line). A true modem has an analog signal. This
    is what you had with dial-up. Was your dial-up modem an internal or
    external modem? If internal I'm surprised it would be removed but if so
    reinstall it. If external hook it back up and you should be set.

    "J. Timothy" <jtimothy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Netopia modem setup on my PC which I received from Earthlink when
    >I switched from dialup to DSL. How do I set up the fax component of Win
    >XP? I tried earlier today and the fax wizard did not recognize any modems
    >attached to my PC. Am I going to have to ALSO attach another external
    >modem just to be able to send and receive faxes?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Sorry, I should clarify that a 'digital modem' will not work for faxing.
    You'll need an analog modem for this.

    "ras" <ras_nb@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Your Netopia modem is not really a modem. It has a digital signal
    > (D-digital S-subscriber L-line). A true modem has an analog signal. This
    > is what you had with dial-up. Was your dial-up modem an internal or
    > external modem? If internal I'm surprised it would be removed but if so
    > reinstall it. If external hook it back up and you should be set.
    >

    > "J. Timothy" <jtimothy@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >>I have a Netopia modem setup on my PC which I received from Earthlink when
    >>I switched from dialup to DSL. How do I set up the fax component of Win
    >>XP? I tried earlier today and the fax wizard did not recognize any modems
    >>attached to my PC. Am I going to have to ALSO attach another external
    >>modem just to be able to send and receive faxes?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

Modem Windows XP