Sign in with
Your question

Fallout 3

Last response: in Video Games
October 28, 2008 9:05:58 PM

I'm assuming everyone who has it is still playing, but let us know how it is when you're done

More about : fallout

October 28, 2008 9:10:50 PM

We're don't plan to rush through it for a quick review but we're planning an "early impresssions" article for it like we usually do for MMOs. Probably... late next week...
October 28, 2008 10:13:34 PM

Im interested to see some benchmarks or FPS
Related resources
October 28, 2008 10:23:51 PM

is it playable on a x2 4400+ @ 2.3ghz with a 8800gt and 2gig of ram?

I'd rather not have to upgrade my computer right away ;) 
October 28, 2008 10:48:38 PM

It's installing on my system right now and taking FOREVER. I can't wait to jump in and start!
October 29, 2008 12:43:28 AM

I have Q6600, 6 gig RAM, and an 8800GTX and it runs perfectly. I think the save system might be messed up though. It told me in the game it was saving but it stopped responding and when I brought it back up it didn't give me the option of continuing or reloading.
October 29, 2008 4:02:54 AM

Yeah I've gotten about 4 hours logged into the game now, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I think it looks better than Oblivion, and runs smoother, too. I have had one bug already, though...I talked to the trader outside of Megaton and tried to sell him stuff, then it jumped out of the dialog screen, but kept me talking to the guy. I couldn't move, and had to exit/reload the game. Not that big a deal, but a bug nonetheless.

Now the biggest thing I wanted to say on this forum - despite everyone claiming it's a lot different than Oblivion and so forth...WRONG. Fallout 3 = Oblivion with guns/futuristic setting. This is not a complaint though; I've logged about 12 hours on Oblivion (I know it's not much in the grand scope of the game), and I could already name a kajillion similarities. For example: open-ended world, same graphics engine, same general look when you talk to people, fast travel option, side areas in F3 are very much like "dungeons" in Oblivion, there is a lock-picking mini-game, you escape from Vault 101 just like you escape from the prison in Oblivion, you sleep in beds and it has the same effect, inventory system works roughly the same, etc. Really, if anyone says it's significantly different, they haven't played both games for very long.

Also, I have roughly the same specs as the guy above me, 8800GTX with E6600 and 4 GB RAM, and it does run very well. I have it set on High with a little AA, and while I haven't used FRAPS yet, it's very playable at all times...and to me, playable = 30+, no exceptions. I can hardly stand 30, for that matter.
October 29, 2008 12:24:26 PM

Ok, so I went ahead and got the game too. It's very engrossing already, and I haven't done anything for the most part in the game yet. I do agree with snarespectre that it's oblivion with guns for the most part. Well, the are direction actually reminds me a lot of morrowind. I'm going to spend a lot of time with this game, just like oblivion as well.

As for how well it plays on my system, well it defaulted to Ultra-High settings with 15x AF and 4x AA and I put the resolution up to 1680x1050 and it is smooth. I have a e6750 with a 4870 and 4 gb of ram on Vista 64. If you liked Oblivion at all, I think you'll like this game as well. I just wish FC 2 was more like this, I'm already sick of being attacked all the time when I'm just trying to get a mission or get to a mission location.
October 29, 2008 12:41:35 PM

How do you guys all have it? It ain't even out yet! The anticipation is killing me. Roll on friday.
October 29, 2008 12:47:41 PM

Bought it last night, get home, start PC, HDD failed. Woohoo!

It was out here in NA yesterday sheep, everywhere else is like on halloween.
October 29, 2008 12:49:53 PM

Sucks to be English :( 

Seems you guys across the pond always get things before us
October 29, 2008 1:20:57 PM

Don't worry quantumsheep, it's easily worth the wait. And like San Pedro said, it sucks you in at the very beginning. The story is already a ton better than Oblivion, and the 4 hours I've played flew by like they were 1. In Oblivion I just run around doing all sorts of side-quests and things, but in this game I actually actively want to go find "my dad." I really do care about what happens to him and why he left...and you'd be hard-pressed to find that in a game nowadays.
October 29, 2008 3:42:05 PM

Played last night several hours. Smooth at high on my system , specs are in my sig. Very much like Oblivion.
I had to go for the Mutton Chop sideburns!
Scoped out Megaton. Cleaned out a school but couldn't get into the tunnel far enough to fing good loot, blocked by a wall I couldn't jump up to.
The first potential NPC I could add to my party wouldn't join me cause my character was acting to nice. :) 
Seems to immediately funnel your decisions into good or evil slots. So far so good. It's fun but I'm getting having a hard time staying alive in combat at low level.
October 29, 2008 3:47:33 PM

Mine comes in tonight. I'm looking forward to it. This weekend will be a fun distraction.
October 29, 2008 4:23:10 PM

quantumsheep said:
Sucks to be English :( 

Seems you guys across the pond always get things before us

Pirates had it cracked and circulating on the internet the same day of US release. It's fine as long as you pay for a copy once it does come out in UK, no? :na: 
October 29, 2008 5:22:56 PM

ImajorI said:
Played last night several hours. Smooth at high on my system , specs are in my sig. Very much like Oblivion.
I had to go for the Mutton Chop sideburns!
Scoped out Megaton. Cleaned out a school but couldn't get into the tunnel far enough to fing good loot, blocked by a wall I couldn't jump up to.
The first potential NPC I could add to my party wouldn't join me cause my character was acting to nice. :) 
Seems to immediately funnel your decisions into good or evil slots. So far so good. It's fun but I'm getting having a hard time staying alive in combat at low level.

I hear you on the low level combat, because it took me a while to "deliver the letter" to the guy being "helped" by captives. I haven't run across anybody that would possibly join my party. Where did you find that at? I know I am always swiping stuff and I still have a good character rating.
October 29, 2008 8:25:23 PM

Jericho? (SP) a fighter eating at a lower Megaton food joint.
October 29, 2008 11:38:15 PM

How are the controls in the PC version. I'm debating on what system to get it on. I like Xbox cause its nice playing on a larger HD TV with an 1100 Watt 7.1 channel DTS surround system. But I also like being able to push the graphics on the computer. Can the computer version be run with the Xbox controller on the computer by default or is it mouse and keyboard only and if so what are peoples feelings on that control vs the gamepad?
October 29, 2008 11:41:46 PM

dagger said:
Pirates had it cracked and circulating on the internet the same day of US release. It's fine as long as you pay for a copy once it does come out in UK, no? :na: 

I want it on 360 rather than PC :(  I like taking games of this type (Exploratory RPGs) nice and slow, and i find it better to be lovely and comfy in my la-z-boy with some nice cool bevvies!
October 30, 2008 12:43:23 AM

AdioKIP said:
How are the controls in the PC version. I'm debating on what system to get it on. I like Xbox cause its nice playing on a larger HD TV with an 1100 Watt 7.1 channel DTS surround system. But I also like being able to push the graphics on the computer. Can the computer version be run with the Xbox controller on the computer by default or is it mouse and keyboard only and if so what are peoples feelings on that control vs the gamepad?

I'll let you know in the next two days how playing the pc version with the xbox 360 controller is. So far I like using the mouse and keyboard, but I definitely want to try it on the big screen.
October 30, 2008 1:37:54 AM

Most HDTV's on the market can be used as a PC monitor. I've set up a couple for friends and I use one myself (see my profile). Ofcourse, it there's the issue of actually moving stuff around but since it's a one time thing, I say it's worth it. =)

OT: Looking forward to Fallout 3 arriving on our shores... =D
October 30, 2008 12:55:42 PM

Would you guys say this is better then far cry 2? I personally like far cry 2 a lot and cant imagine finishing it anytime soon but I am anxious to try fallout.

My buddy has it on the pc so I might go to his house this weekend to check it out. He can't max the graphics out though so I want to see how it looks. Do you guys think my pc can max it out? specs at bottom.
October 30, 2008 1:52:42 PM

AdioKIP said:

If you have the xbox 360 controller already plugged into your computer when the game starts, it will default to the controller. If you want to use the KB/mouse, you have to disable the 360 controller under the games options. I prefer the KB/mouse personally, because its easier to fight with. I always hated using the thumb sticks to try and aim your weapon. My character doesn't have enough experience yet to fully make use of the targeting system and fully take out my opponents. kb/mouse>xbox 360 controller when fighting. xbox 360 controller>KB/mouse for character walking around and for you to be a little bit more relaxed while gaming.
October 30, 2008 1:52:48 PM

San Pedro said:
I'll let you know in the next two days how playing the pc version with the xbox 360 controller is. So far I like using the mouse and keyboard, but I definitely want to try it on the big screen.

I'll be sure to check this post, I am debating between the PC and the 360 version. I know I'll get the game, just not sure which system. For now FarCry2 is keeping me busy. Not the greatest game but not a bad game either. Graphics look great and it doesnt take much as far as hardware to run it. If they had come up with a better travel system and there was more to the story the game would be much better.
October 30, 2008 1:55:21 PM

cappster said:
If you have the xbox 360 controller already plugged into your computer when the game starts, it will default to the controller. If you want to use the KB/mouse, you have to disable the 360 controller under the games options. I prefer the KB/mouse personally, because its easier to fight with. I always hated using the thumb sticks to try and aim your weapon. My character doesn't have enough experience yet to fully make use of the targeting system and fully take out my opponents. kb/mouse>xbox 360 controller when fighting. xbox 360 controller>KB/mouse for character walking around and for you to be a little bit more relaxed while gaming.

Thanks Capster, you answered my question about 6 seconds before I made my last post asking this. Since the game has default controls built in for the 360 gamepad I'm assuming the gamepad works as well as it would on the actual 360. if this is the case then I think I'll go for the pc version....
October 30, 2008 2:17:10 PM

AdioKIP said:
If 7.1 surround sound is really important to you, you might as well play the better version on the PC as the 360 does not support 7.1 surround sound anyways.
October 30, 2008 2:24:33 PM

it plays nicely in 1680x1050 with some AS and high quality settings on my x2 2.3ghz 2gig ram 8800GT.

Also, i had a couple of hard freezes with the game. Anybody else experiencing weird issues?
October 30, 2008 2:27:02 PM

Some things to consider.
The PC version uses Securom 7. This is not the version that requires activation, it is the older version that was just an annoying CD check that stuck hidden drivers on your system and was incompatible with programs like Daemon tools. I am ok with this level of DRM, not happy with it, but not pissed either.

In return for this you will probably get access to much better mods and player content. Given the modding of Oblivion, I expect to see some cool things coming from the community on this one as well.

Also, while I am not sure it is possible to make a really pretty face, at least the textures are not horrible like they were in Oblivion.
October 30, 2008 3:16:22 PM

Its nice actually, the game comes with a cd key, but it never actually asked me to use it. Pretty user friendly.
October 30, 2008 3:37:47 PM

Yeah, it looks like the CD key is for some online feature.
October 30, 2008 3:40:01 PM

I'm playing it taking my time on the PC, while my son is upstairs playing the PS3 version off a projector.

I think it's beautifull. The interaction between characters is very much like Oblivion (which I liked). But it uses Fallouts great post apocalyptic waste land as a back drop. Excellent combat using a targeting system with slow mo of your guy in shoot outs. Plus the blood and rough dialogue of Fallout.

I have also had 2 freezes, one each night. But pulled up task manager and restarted without problems. Save often.

I am going to enjoy taking my time and exploring this game. So far I'm very pleased. My wife already hates it, a sure sign of a great game. :) 
October 30, 2008 3:42:53 PM

I had one crash so far, but it was immediately after I clicked the exit game button so no harm there... I really loved the intro section and am relieved to see that I have dialogue options instead of a stupid likeability minigame like Oblivion.
October 30, 2008 3:59:40 PM

infornography42 said:
I had one crash so far, but it was immediately after I clicked the exit game button so no harm there... I really loved the intro section and am relieved to see that I have dialogue options instead of a stupid likeability minigame like Oblivion.

I get the exact same thing. But no crash when exiting to menu first, then to desktop. Strange. :p 
October 30, 2008 5:28:21 PM

Sometimes I see like a white dot flash up on the screen when looking at a person and I had it lock up one time when exiting from the game, but other than that all has been good.
October 30, 2008 6:20:12 PM

I've been less than impressed from a technical standpoint so far, but admittedly I'm not terribly far into it. I'm playing it on a Vista 64 PC, with pretty high end specs, and haven't had any major stability issues. I have experienced the crash on exit mentioned above.

I think the scenery and equipment design is very well done and looks amazing. The early voice acting and dialogue in general is quite good. The start of the game was cute. My only complaint with the non-person visuals is that everything has a kind of glossiness that I don't care much for. I had the same problem with Oblivion.

The combat just doesn't feel right in Fallout 3. It has crappy control, yet precision aiming appears to be beneficial. The vats system is alright, but it is not a good representation of the original turn-based style.

My biggest complaint is that the third person view looks awful. The movement looks so bad it completely ruins the immersion unless you are standing still. Picture Fallout on Ice and you should get the idea. So I basically have to play the game in first person, which I don't like in an RPG. My years of conditioning with first person views make it feel like a shooter with awful control.

The only real bugs I've found were typos, the crash on exit, and I managed to get stuck on a table in the intro and had to restart on my first attempt.

All in all it feels like nothing more than Oblivion: The post-apocalyptic chapter. Minus the benefits you'd expect of a mature engine. If you really enjoyed Oblivion and want to play it with a different skin ,some new tricks, and a non-retarded leveling system; then you'll likely love this game. If you didn't like Oblivion, then you won't like Fallout 3.

A few upgrades on the controls, some help on the third person view, and some user-content creation tools could make this an excellent game. However, I doubt the first two are going to happen. So for me the game is mediocre at best from a technical stand point, but the object art, voice acting, and writing have been excellent. I'm curious to see how the story plays out so I'll likely play through the game, but I get the feeling it'll never be touched again after that.

If anyone was considering buying a survival edition don't. I expected the pip-boy to be a cheap piece of novelty junk, but I thought it'd make a fun clock for my computer desk. Yeah, I was wrong. It's cheaper than I had ever anticipated, and really doesn't even look good. The lunchbox, art book, making of, and bobble head from the collector's edition on the other hand are quite nice. The collector's edition is one of the better add-in packages I've seen with a collector's edition to date.
October 30, 2008 6:33:15 PM

Yeah, the pipboy was a dissapointment.
The first thing I noticed is that it is too small to fit on a relatively slim adult male arm. Note that this game is rated M. Then I noticed that they didn't even make it an alarm clock. It is JUST A CLOCK. Really, what the hell? It costs pennies to make it an alarm clock... Had I the opportunity to do it again, I would so not get the survivor edition.

I love my bobblehead though.
October 30, 2008 6:39:02 PM

Obviously you didn't read the insert that said that it was not meant to be worn :p 

I'm debating tossing it back in the box and mailing it to Bethesda. I figure I can ask for my $50 or $60 back or just stop buying their products altogether. Though I think the latter is likely to happen regardless. Ebay might be a smarter option though..
October 30, 2008 7:40:43 PM

Heh, I might just sell mine on Ebay, I'll think about that.
October 30, 2008 8:04:09 PM

Played it for several hours on my PC (see sig). It runs smooth with the following graphic settings (off the top of my head):

- 1920 x 1200
- Medium Quality (with some increases to some of the settings like, distance and shadows)
- AA x2
- HDR
November 13, 2008 11:48:42 PM

i love it(great gameplay, graphics,ect) and i hate it (it crashes TOO often).
i checked bethesda forums and there is a lot of people complaining about it.
it also happened with gears of war (could it be the MOTHER F$%&ing windows live?) and with farcry 2

i wonder, why the developers donĀ“t betatest their games properly?
i mean if i pay, and i meet all the requirements the game must work properly.

maybe i should join the dark side and start .... well u know what....
November 14, 2008 3:10:11 PM

Well after a few hours of playing it on the TV I can say that it plays great that way too. I'm definitely way more precise with the kb/mouse, so I tend to use VATS a lot more with the 360 controller, but I'm still statisfied with the game play experience using it. Plus the games run flawlessly at 1920x1080 with all settings maxed and 4x AA, which really good on the TV. I stopped playing the story line and am now just trying to find spots on the map, while scrounging for ammo and weapons to sell like mad.
November 14, 2008 6:59:06 PM

heh, I have stockpiled so much ammo that it is a small wonder that there is not a 5 kilometer explosion whenever I catch fire. I am so glad ammo has no weight.
November 14, 2008 8:42:23 PM

my biggest issue thus far(its a new one btw) is that i have too much money and nothing to do with it, i currently have 10000 caps and i havnt even cheated ive just been robbing the stores lol, but really apart from buying stuff for my house there isnt anything to spend that much money on, i have enough ammo stockpiled and just sold 899 MF Cells for 2 caps each cause i dont use the energy weapons... on that not anyone know where i can sell a minigun for 800 caps? i cant find a vendor with enough money in the bank, and i have no need to buy simpaks because of all the scrap metal ive handed in ive got over 100 of them >.<
!